Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Kasper vs. Snyder
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 9, 2017

Good article and Jacob Kasper wants Snyder.

http://www.richlandsource.com/sports/lexington-grad-duke-wrestler-takes-aim-at-ohio-state-olympian/article_88798fde-e7ce-11e6-a161-637bb37d51cf.html

Anything is possible but I have a hard time seeing him beat Kyle.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 9, 2017

Jacob did not say he would defeat Kyle. He simply said he would punch him in the mouth. I would imagine that after doing that he would run off the mat as fast as he could and never be seen again.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 9, 2017

He did beat Walz 15-7, but has several 2-3 pt. closer wins against lesser opponents. He beat the Minn. 285. 5-3, so we'll see what Kyle does against the same opponent. He's only 230, but a tall 6 ft. 4 in.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 10, 2017

It would seem to me that Kasper is the perfect opponent for Snyder. He's undersized, so that negates the only advantage that college heavies have over Snyder. He's aggressive and ofensive, not one to look to slow the pace. This would seem to play into Snyder's hands as well. He's basically going to try to "out-snyder" Snyder. I can't imagine that goes well. Finally, he's gone out of his to challenge the best wrestler in the World. While Snyder always pushes the action and looks to run up the score, he's never mean-spirited, never rubs your nose it it. I could see him turning up the pressure even more with Kasper. The kid literally asked for it.

Last year, the existence of a talent like Gwiazdowski and the uncertainty of Snyder moving up to heavyweight while pulling the red-shirt was a built in challenge which Snyder rose to in spades. let's face it, this year there is little to motivate Snyder outside of his own internal drive (which is obviously substantial). Kasper's juvenile threat may be just what the doctor ordered. At the very least, it makes the heavyweight bracket something to look forward to.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 10, 2017

Well if go on Yappi you will see numerous post from people who believe he will beat Snyder and become a great college coach because he knows so much about wrestling and trains harder then anyone.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 10, 2017

Here is another good read about Jacob Kasper.
http://www.bloodround.com/blog/2017/2/8/q-a-with-jacob-kasper

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Well if go on Yappi you will see numerous post from people who believe he will beat Snyder and become a great college coach because he knows so much about wrestling and trains harder then anyone."

Yeah, the overall tone in that thread is pretty reasonable, but there's a few Kasper fans who are a little too enthusiastic. I posted just to try to help them understand. I don't think it's going to go over very well.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 10, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Well if go on Yappi you will see numerous post from people who believe he will beat Snyder and become a great college coach because he knows so much about wrestling and trains harder then anyone."

Yeah, the overall tone in that thread is pretty reasonable, but there's a few Kasper fans who are a little too enthusiastic. I posted just to try to help them understand. I don't think it's going to go over very well."

Yeah I just read your post and I agree it won't go over very good. You might want to stay off of there for a while or go back for a good laugh.

Too much???

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on February 10, 2017

"Too much???"

No, it was perfect. It made me laugh.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 10, 2017

"It would seem to me that Kasper is the perfect opponent for Snyder. He's undersized, so that negates the only advantage that college heavies have over Snyder. He's aggressive and ofensive, not one to look to slow the pace. This would seem to play into Snyder's hands as well. He's basically going to try to "out-snyder" Snyder. I can't imagine that goes well. Finally, he's gone out of his to challenge the best wrestler in the World. While Snyder always pushes the action and looks to run up the score, he's never mean-spirited, never rubs your nose it it. I could see him turning up the pressure even more with Kasper. The kid literally asked for it.

Last year, the existence of a talent like Gwiazdowski and the uncertainty of Snyder moving up to heavyweight while pulling the red-shirt was a built in challenge which Snyder rose to in spades. let's face it, this year there is little to motivate Snyder outside of his own internal drive (which is obviously substantial). Kasper's juvenile threat may be just what the doctor ordered. At the very least, it makes the heavyweight bracket something to look forward to."

Well said!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 10, 2017

If you don't think Kasper will win you hate wrestling!!!

Nah nah na boo boo!!!

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on February 11, 2017

Certainly think there's a shot! (Though, I'm admittedly biased). I think it'd come down to whether or not Jacob can make a big move happen.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"Here is another good read about Jacob Kasper.
http://www.bloodround.com/blog/2017/2/8/q-a-with-jacob-kasper"

William, thanks for posting this. It was pretty cool experience to get to write that article.

I think a lot of people really misinterpret Kasper. Yes, he is very confident in his abilities. Yes, he looks forward to wrestling the best and does not shy away from the challenge. And yes, he is very much looking forward to a chance to wrestle Snyder. Why shouldn't he be? Isn't that the attitude that that we preach to the kids we coach? If you think are going to lose, then you will lose.

Kasper has a ton of appreciation and respect for Snyder.

I found this quote of his to be one of my favorites: "Wrestlers do not get remembered in college wrestling for just being a 1, 2, or even 3 time NCAA champion. However, the first collegiate wrestling Olympic gold medalist is at heavyweight and considered untouchable by just about everyone and he should be, he’s a great wrestler who obviously put the time in and paid the price. He is widely considered the king of American wrestling but I want to take that crown. I want to go down as the giant slayer, as the guy who did the impossible, but most importantly I just want to be remembered."

Look, Kasper would be a massive underdog in that match, and it would be an upset of historical significance. But, we've seen those types of upsets before.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 19, 2017

Do this weekend's results change anyone's mind on how appropriate (or not) Mr. Kasper's comments were?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next