Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Kasper vs. Snyder
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 19, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Do this weekend's results change anyone's mind on how appropriate (or not) Mr. Kasper's comments were?"

In all fairness, Kasper - IIRC - stated he wanted to wrestle Snyder. Wanted to challenge himself against the best on the planet. Is that not correct???

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 19, 2017

I get that, but he also said he wanted to punch Snyder in the face and see what he's made of and that he wanted to be remembered as the one who beat The Legend. If you're gonna talk the talk, you've gotta walk the walk. If not, be humble and respectful and see where the chips fall.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 19, 2017

Kasper just lost to the Pitt 285. 4-3.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 19, 2017

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"Kasper just lost to the Pitt 285. 4-3."

That was my point. I know the transitive property does not always apply, but is there anyone who thinks Snyder doesn't tech against tech Pitt's heavyweight? He's ten points better than Kasper. Anyone who thinks different doesn't know the sport.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Watch out Kyle

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/college/2017/05/03/kasper-duke-wrestling/101208976/

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Watch out Kyle

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/college/2017/05/03/kasper-duke-wrestling/101208976/"

Honestly, some of his comments are a bit troubling. He seems to have a deep resentment\anger\obsession with someone he doesn't know. Maybe it's all for show, I don't get it.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Watch out Kyle

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/sports/college/2017/05/03/kasper-duke-wrestling/101208976/"

Honestly, some of his comments are a bit troubling. He seems to have a deep resentment\anger\obsession with someone he doesn't know. Maybe it's all for show, I don't get it."

I think he needs to shut up already. He was 2 points from being teched, for crying out loud! It wasn't even close, besides, he'll probably have to get past the Mich. heavyweight to get another chance at Snyder.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

What can I can say about this kid at this point? You are what your record says you are, and he is this. He's a hell of a wrestler but grace and poise he shows on the mat clearly does not translate to interviews. It's unfortunate.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Someone has a pathological need for attention. He reminds me of that idiot father of the UCLA basketball player.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Reading that gave me the same uncomfortable feeling I have at church when someone is trying their very best to sing a "solo" but isn't aware that they aren't a good singer...

Brandon Gambucci added to this discussion on May 8, 2017

I think it's important not to read too much into a kid's comments from a small, local newspaper where they're obviously trying to dictate a certain narrative.

I've known Jacob since we were kids - we actually wrestled off one year in high school (wild to think the weight changes that have gone on since then).

For anyone questioning Jacob's character, please read into all of the charity work that the guy does for local cleveland foundations working on getting children wrestling shoes who can't afford them. He's been involved and led a plethora of charitable initiatives.

People say these things all the time to instill confidence in themselves. Kasper has a large social media presence and so it get's noticed. I remember tweeting and posting somewhat similar things when I drew an early round matchup at NCAA's with Logan Stieber, too. I think it's really important to remember this a kid in his early 20's trying to accomplish a dream in a weight where our reigning olympic champ in Snyder lives. Just my (very) biased, two cents.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

Quote from Brandon Gambucci's post:

"I think it's important not to read too much into a kid's comments from a small, local newspaper where they're obviously trying to dictate a certain narrative.

I've known Jacob since we were kids - we actually wrestled off one year in high school (wild to think the weight changes that have gone on since then).

For anyone questioning Jacob's character, please read into all of the charity work that the guy does for local cleveland foundations working on getting children wrestling shoes who can't afford them. He's been involved and led a plethora of charitable initiatives.

People say these things all the time to instill confidence in themselves. Kasper has a large social media presence and so it get's noticed. I remember tweeting and posting somewhat similar things when I drew an early round matchup at NCAA's with Logan Stieber, too. I think it's really important to remember this a kid in his early 20's trying to accomplish a dream in a weight where our reigning olympic champ in Snyder lives. Just my (very) biased, two cents."

Very well put Brandon. I think too much of this has been taken out of context and made a bigger deal than what it should have been. So he said he wanted to "punch Snyder in the mouth". If anyone thinks he actually wants to punch someone in the mouth is just plain silly. He was simply describing that he wanted to go out and give it his best shot and was looking forward to a chance to compete with someone as significant as Snyder.

Kasper is probably one of the most selfless people/athlete you will find. I had the chance to do a little write up on him and one of the questions was what HE considered to be HIS greatest moment in wrestling. His answer was this:

"First thing was helping my little brother get his state title. I fell short my senior year and crawled into my dad’s lap, still sweaty in my singlet, crying to apologize for not winning it for him, my family, my coaches, and myself. As he consoled me, my brother cried with me. I asked him to promise me he would win it so he did not have to feel what I felt. He promised and I pushed him until he hated me. I did not want him to feel like I did so I was willing to do whatever it took for him. He beat a kid from Revere in the semis, the same school I had lost to in the semis, on the same mat, and in the same singlet. I booked a last second flight and flew in to watch his finals. He won and ran over, jumped the barrier, and hugged me as we both sobbed. Nobody had any clue I was flying in but as he hugged me he told me he just knew I was there, he could feel it, and that he had held true on his promise but could not have done it without me.

The second thing is helping Brannon King at Fargo. Brannon is a wrestler from Vandalia, Ohio with Autism however; he never let that hold him back and has always worked extremely hard. Brannon worked extremely hard at the National team training camp, but unfortunately couldn't successfully make the weight cut. That meant he couldn't wrestle at the National tournament he trained months for. Two coaches and I came up with the idea of trying to get Brannon an exhibition match so he could go out compete against some of the best in the country. With the help of some great individuals involved in USA Wrestling, including tournament directors, state directors, opposing coaches, and officials, we all were able to take it a step further. We were not only able to get Brannon a match in front of his family who had driven 24+ hours to watch him, but we were also able to get his match on the elevated finals mat. The whole situation, from start to finish, put into perspective how closely knitted the wrestling community is nationwide. Similar to anything in wrestling, Brannon did not deserve this match. He earned it. His passion, love, and fight inspire me."

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

First interview - I had ZERO problem with. 2nd one is just a seems like a cry for attention. Too bad he didn't say what you guys posted.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

I get that Kasper is not really a bad guy. I admire his desire to take on Snyder and how he sees it as a challenge. But there's a right and wrong way to express this sentiment and he needs to get that part straightened out.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

So I've read both articles and maybe I just see things differently. Can you tell me what you thought was so wrong about what he said? Serious question, not being a smart butt.

I'm also curious if all the Ohio State fans complaining would feel this way if the roles were reversed. Obviously hypothetical.

People say he's screaming for attention and starved for attention, etc. But quite honestly, wrestling in general is starved for attention outside the wrestling community. I look at it as he is just using the media to promote himself and a potential match. I think it's great. Create story lines, generate interest, give ESPN something to talk about when/if the match comes to fruition. Other combat sports use this type of marketing and it works. Why can't NCAA wrestling?

Also, Kasper has stated that he has an interest in possibly going into "professional wrestling" once he is done competing. This is coming from a kid who is double majoring in Sociology and Evolutionary Anthropology with a formal concentration in Paleoanthropology and Anatomy.

I say that because even if he is only doing this to get himself attention, then good for him. Make himself marketable.

Obviously this is just my opinion and I understand and respect other's opinion on this. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. I just think people are making too big a deal out of this.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next