Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Kasper vs. Snyder
Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

So I've read both articles and maybe I just see things differently. Can you tell me what you thought was so wrong about what he said? Serious question, not being a smart butt.

I'm also curious if all the Ohio State fans complaining would feel this way if the roles were reversed. Obviously hypothetical.

People say he's screaming for attention and starved for attention, etc. But quite honestly, wrestling in general is starved for attention outside the wrestling community. I look at it as he is just using the media to promote himself and a potential match. I think it's great. Create story lines, generate interest, give ESPN something to talk about when/if the match comes to fruition. Other combat sports use this type of marketing and it works. Why can't NCAA wrestling?

Also, Kasper has stated that he has an interest in possibly going into "professional wrestling" once he is done competing. This is coming from a kid who is double majoring in Sociology and Evolutionary Anthropology with a formal concentration in Paleoanthropology and Anatomy.

I say that because even if he is only doing this to get himself attention, then good for him. Make himself marketable.

Obviously this is just my opinion and I understand and respect other's opinion on this. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. I just think people are making too big a deal out of this.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

No one's making a "big deal" out of it. It's forum talk, and this latest round of unfortunate press is off-season forum talk. It's the definition of "no big deal". I think the reason some people (at least the reason I) reacted, is just what you have suggested. It's unabashed self promotion. At the risk of sounding like an old curmudgeon (but it's clear that I am one now), but wrestling isn't "starved for attention". Wrestlers aren't "starved for attention". We don't do this for the attention. We do it for the competition. We do it to push ourselves. We do it to be part of this community.

The shameless self promotion isn't even the the part that rubs me the wrong way. While I'm not a huge fan of it, it's the "at someone else's expense" part that grinds me. He is disrespectful to his opponent, period. And this opponent seems to be beyond reproach. It comes off as short sighted, ill-planned, stupid. Why would anyone double majoring in Sociology and Evolutionary Anthropology with a formal concentration in Paleoanthropology and Anatomy want to sound like such a tool? It seems counter-intuitive.

I often say that I'm wrong a lot. I'm sure that I'm at least partially wrong here. By your standards, he won. We're talking about him. Certainly more people know who he is now than otherwise would. If, as you say, that was the goal, then I guess "good for him". I wouldn't want to be know for this. I'd want to be known for being a senior at Duke, for being an All American, for the things mentioned in your earlier post...but that's putting my moral code (lax as I thought it was) on him which is not cool.

So, more power to him. You want to be a villain in the WWE? Enjoy, you're well on your way.

Quote from Brandon Olinger's post:

"I'm also curious if all the Ohio State fans complaining would feel this way if the roles were reversed. Obviously hypothetical..."

I'd be interest to see what Ohio State fans have to say about this. My differences of opinion with Mr. Kasper certainly have nothing to do with Ohio State, although they do have something to do with coming at a wrestler in the press who happens to attend tOSU.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

If Micah Jordan had spent last season talking about how he couldn't wait to get his hands on Retherford and that he expected to "open a can of whupp ass" or some similar remark, I'd think it was incredibly stupid.

And if he continued to talk about Retherford after getting decimated in the dual, I'd find his conduct even more embarrassing.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

I'm not a fan of Ohio State (although I do support them) but I think Hank nails it.

Ultimately, I agree with Michael in so much as ...meh. <yawn>

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3