Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: I ain't the six minutes...
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 11, 2017

Up early getting ready to attend my son's JH league tournament and I'm feeling quite a few emotions. I'm looking back on a great first year for my son, reflecting on the OSU win over NEB, thinking about the highs and lows of the sport, and considering the community we have on this, and other, forums. For all the insight - and BS - we throw around, I want to salute those who are actually on the mat; dare I say InsideThe Circle. For those who are called competitors, I offer these two quotes:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

And from Vision Quest :

Louden Swain : You never took a night off to see me wrestle before. They'll dock you for that.
Elmo : Hey, kid - money ain't everything.
Louden Swain : It's not that big a deal, Elmo. I mean, it's six lousy minutes on the mat, if that.
Elmo : You ever hear of Pele?
Louden Swain : Yeah, he's a, a soccer player.
Elmo : A very famous soccer player.
[pause]
Elmo : I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the g-ddamn goalie never knew what the f-ck hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'm here, sitting alone in my room, and I start crying.
[pause]
Elmo : That's right, I start crying. Because another human being, a species that I happen to belong to, could kick a ball, and lift himself, and the rest of us sad--ssed human beings, up to a better place to be, if only for a minute... let me tell ya, kid - it was pretty g-ddamned glorious. It ain't the six minutes... it's what happens in that six minutes.

#Cheers

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 11, 2017

#elmo

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 11, 2017

MN:
Reading that post is a great way to start the day. I will be inspired to sell more meat as a result.
Thank you.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 11, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"MN:
Reading that post is a great way to start the day. I will be inspired to sell more meat as a result.
Thank you."

If I was closer, I'd be buying! In the spring/summer, I'll hit up your shipping department.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 11, 2017

Thanks for sharing. I love Teddy Roosevelt quotes.

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 12, 2017

Amen Mark

► Add to the Discussion