Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: tOSU v Cornell
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

So, let's predict.

125: J-Rod v Baughman...JRod whipped him in Vegas and has looked better his last two matches. Let's assume a decision 3-0

133: Nate v Grey....Grey looked good for awhile but faded hard. MD for Nate 7-0

141: Pletch v Will Koll....Pletch is a favorite but Koll is scrappy. 10-0

149: Micah v Galasso...should be an MD for MJ. 14-0

157: Taylor Simaz v Anthony Decarlo...let's give an md to Simaz...14-4

165: Womack v Burcher....14-7

174: Bo v Realbuto...Very good matchup on paper. Assume a decision for Bo but an upset would not be a shock (due to rust for Bo)...17-7

184: MM v Dean...MM is surging. Dean is the champ. I like MM to compete well in this one and keep it close. 17-10

197: Moore v Honis...should be an MD for KM. 21-10

285: Fox v Scott... 21-13

Bucks would seem to have a solid advantage on paper even without your Olympic champ at 285. But a couple upsets (think 141 and 174) or a listless JRod could change the outcome. Based on how well Bucks wrestled Rutgers, Neb and Minny, I like them to win relatively comfortably.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 13, 2017

I think it's great they get Cornell, if only for the fact that Myles gets another shot at Dean before Nationals. If he can cut the scoring gap down from their first match it will be a success IMO. Just like Moore did vs. Pfarr on Sun. afternoon. They have to know they are getting closer to beating these guys.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 14, 2017

There seems to be a lot of dissension in the coaching ranks concerning the failure to carry out the agreed upon plan for these coaching sponsored duals. Cael had tweeted out an irritated statement. It seems like the majority of coaches are irritated with Iowa's refusal to wrestle Virginia Tech....again. I could see this dual series unraveling quickly in the future if people like Cael refuse to compete because they are not doing what they initially set out to do.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 14, 2017

The original format for National Duals changed because Cael didn't want to do it. In fairness, he made his position clear. Brands has simply been a baby about it. He says one thing but does another.

However, Iowa and PSU represent the largest fan bases in college wrestling and its not even close. You have to listen to their coaches because these programs drive attendance way up.

The original National Duals were amazing but too many wrestlers got hurt.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on February 14, 2017

When Iowa refused to wrestle VT, why didn't tOSU then get assigned with VT? Or why isn't tOSU going against NC State? The policy does seem pretty simple, so why is it so hard to follow? I'd like to hear what Gable thinks of Iowa's decision.

The whole dual championship whatever it is now idea just needs to go away.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 14, 2017

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"When Iowa refused to wrestle VT, why didn't tOSU then get assigned with VT? Or why isn't tOSU going against NC State? The policy does seem pretty simple, so why is it so hard to follow? I'd like to hear what Gable thinks of Iowa's decision.

The whole dual championship whatever it is now idea just needs to go away."

Alex: great question about Gable. In my opinion he would prefer to wrestle VT if he felt slighted. There is just something really juvenile about this with Brands. When he is permitted to do what he is doing I agree: just do away with it. The older version was much better from a fan's perspective.

I thought a TOSU v. NCSU would have been an interesting match up.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 14, 2017

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"

"When Iowa refused to wrestle VT, why didn't tOSU then get assigned with VT? Or why isn't tOSU going against NC State? The policy does seem pretty simple, so why is it so hard to follow? I'd like to hear what Gable thinks of Iowa's decision.

Alex: great question about Gable. In my opinion he would prefer to wrestle VT if he felt slighted. There is just something really juvenile about this with Brands. When he is permitted to do what he is doing I agree: just do away with it. The older version was much better from a fan's perspective.

I thought a TOSU v. NCSU would have been an interesting match up."

Agree. I would have loved to wrestle NCSU. Lukewarm towards Cornell.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 15, 2017

According to the Bucks homepage preview of Cornell match Bo is wrestling and coach Ryan mentions him wrestling and that it is a big match for Bo.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 15, 2017

This being the last match before Big Tens, and Bo being #1, with the closest Big Ten guy being #7 Hall, a loss probably will still leave him the #1 seed. And he probably needs to face a tough opponent on the eve of the Big Tens.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 15, 2017

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"This being the last match before Big Tens, and Bo being #1, with the closest Big Ten guy being #7 Hall, a loss probably will still leave him the #1 seed. And he probably needs to face a tough opponent on the eve of the Big Tens."

Hey, I had a question...Over on TheMAt.com they're always talking about how this coach is "protecting" that wrestler. Ohio State gets accused of it often, but a lot of other programs do too (Clark sitting out against Tomesello comes to mind). Do you guys think the coaches really think this way?

My only real experience with this was as a competitor and coach in high school. I was never a guy who cared about seeding. If you're the best guy on that day, you're going to win. If you're second best, you going to be second or third. Short of that, there's no telling whether a six seed is better than a ninth seed. Upsets happen, brackets get blown up. No one can accurately tell you who's going to be in the round of twelve and what seed you should be to have a good match-up there. Isn't all this maneuvering (if it is actually happening) a lot of energy spent for nothing?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 15, 2017

Guys get held out all the time to protect seeds esp when they're banged up/not 100%. Dudley lost to Martin and then was held out vs Iowa. Bo wasn't in lineup to wrestle Hall. No Clark against Tomasello. So that's 3 Big Ten schools which have done it recently.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 15, 2017

I guess then my question is, do DotNetters think it works? Is it good strategy? For the record, I don't think it is.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 15, 2017

I think Tom Ryan is a believer in not putting out a guy against a stud if he isn't a 100%. Bo didn't wrestle Hall then turn around and wrestle against Rutgers 2 days later.

Moves like Dudley wrestling Martin Friday and sitting out Sunday make me believe that some coaches do that.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 15, 2017

yes i too wonder how did # 3 Iowa wrangle a match at # 24 Edinboro-- Tom Brands recruiting the heck out of western PA. i expect Jody Strittmater will take a couple busloads of Young Guns kids to the match-- the whole matter puts legitimacy of these nwca championship duals in question. i note Tom Ryan is president of the nwca.

couple interesting notes, at 125 i assume thats Noah Baughman of Wadsworth, congrats to him. At 133, Mark Grey was once close to same level as Tomosello, when Grey wrestled for Blair i believe he was 4X Beast of East champ. But as happens for many the Ivies take their toal, esp alot of Blair perhaps subject to burnout i note.

William Danforth added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

Good news! Trackwrestling is not charging to watch OSU v Cornell. I'm watching Lehigh/Rutgers now.

Link to NWCA Duals Dashboard. From here click on camera.
http://www.trackwrestling.com/teamtournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=245356009

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next