Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: USA - World CUP
Luke Moore added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

The wrestlers for Iran were HUGE!!! It was a great dual to watch, but they definitely shut the US team down from an aggression standpoint.

Ramos is never going to be great on the world stage, Nico needs to take that spot over.

This week was a coming out party for Taylor.

Snyder looked good, maybe not as aggressive as usual, but still dominant in his wins.

Is Dake better than Burroughs now?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

At work. Quick question: did Taylor wrestle Yazdani?

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

I don't think Snyder looked bad in his loss either. He had a bad three seconds or so. The four-point move that lost him the match against Azerbaijan was fluky, out of bounds, odd occurrence. I thought he wrestled well.

Brandon Sommers added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

Taylor broke Yazdani. Was losing early as Yazdani controlled the ties and scored push outs. Taylor scored a takedown at the end of the first to cut it to 3-2, and then rattled off 2 more in the 2nd and pinned him as Yazdani gave up.

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"At work. Quick question: did Taylor wrestle Yazdani?"

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

Taylor was seriously amazing. Best performance by any US wrestler at this event...and it's not close.

Burroughs did a terrific job but he appears to merely be excellent vs dominant. One could say the same for Logan and Green.

USA looks very good moving forward in freestyle but we could use more depth. And we need to get better at lowest weight. Paging Nathan Tomasello....Nathan Tomasello your country needs you.

If you look at the placement duals, the group/pool that USA was in was completely dominant against the opposite pool

3rd Place Match
Azerbaijan 7 (27) – Turkey 1 (7)
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Giorgi Edisherashvili (Azerbaijan) dec. Sezar Akgul (Turkey), 8-7
61 kg/134 lbs. – Ali Rahimzade (Azerbaijan) forfeit (Turkey)
65 kg/143 lbs. – Haji Aliyev (Azerbaijan) tf. Safa Aksoy (Turkey), 12-2
70 kg/154 lbs. – Yakup Gor (Turkey) dec. David Suynyuchkhanov (Azerbaijan), 10-2
74 kg/163 lbs. – Murad Suleymanov (Azerbaijan) dec. Islam Kilic (Turkey), 5-0
86 kg/189 lbs. – Sharif Sharifov (Azerbaijan) dec. Selim Yasar (Turkey), 2-1
97 kg/213 lbs. – Aslanbek Alborov (Azerbaijan) dec. Faruk Akkoyun (Turkey), 9-1
125 kg/275 lbs. – Jamaladdin Magomedov (Azerbaijan) fall Salim Ercan (Turkey), 0:48

5th Place Match
Russia 7 (27) – Mongolia 1 (6)
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Zelimkhan Abakarov (Russia) tf. Batbold Sodnomdash (Mongolia), 10-0
61 kg/134 lbs. – Dzhamal Otarsultanov (Russia) dec. Tulga Tumur-Ochir (Mongolia), 4-1
65 kg/143 lbs. – Alan Gogaev (Russia) dec. Batmagnai Batchuluun (Mongolia), 9-2
70 kg/154 lbs. – Mandakhnaran Ganzorig (Mongolia) dec. Magomedkhabib Kadimagomedov (Russia), 14-7
74 kg/163 lbs. – Atsamaz Sanakoev (Russia) tf. Ankhbayar Batchuluun (Mongolia), 12-1
86 kg/189 lbs. – Vladislav Valiev (Russia) tf. Unurbat Purevjav (Mongolia), 10-0
97 kg/213 lbs. – Rasul Magomedov (Russia) fall Batzul Ulziisaikhan (Mongolia), 5:36
125 kg/275 lbs. – Vladislav Baitcaev (Russia) dec. Zolboo Natsagsuren (Mongolia), 6-0

7th Place Match
Georgia 6 (24) – India 1 (6)
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Double Forfeit
61 kg/134 lbs. – Shota Phartenadze (Georgia) fall Harphool Harphool (India), 5:00
65 kg/143 lbs. – Bajrang Bajrang (India) tf. Iveriko Julakidze (Georgia), 16-6
70 kg/154 lbs. – Levan Kelekhsashvili (Georgia) dec. Amit Dhankhar (India), 7-6
74 kg/163 lbs. – Jakob Makarashvili (Georgia) dec. Jitender Jitender (India), 5-3
86 kg/189 lbs. – Dato Marsagishvili (Georgia) tf. Deepak Deepak, 10-0
97 kg/213 lbs. – Zviad Metreveli (Georgia) dec. Roublejit Rangi (India), 8-0
125 kg/275 lbs. – Geno Petriashvili (Georgia) forfeit (India)

Also, how is there a double forfeit in the 7th place bout at 57 KG?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"If you look at the placement duals, the group/pool that USA was in was completely dominant against the opposite pool"

...and this makes a huge difference. USA had three very tough duals before hitting Iran. Iran only lost 1 match in their three duals before USA.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from Luke Moore's post:

"If you look at the placement duals, the group/pool that USA was in was completely dominant against the opposite pool"

...and this makes a huge difference. USA had three very tough duals before hitting Iran. Iran only lost 1 match in their three duals before USA."

The second I saw the pools I had an inkling of a feeling the USA being in the same pool with 3 countries of the former Soviet Union wasn't an accident. The Iranians have earned the right to be in the weaker of the two pools, as the defending multiple time champions. But they went 24-0 in pool action. The UWW isn't infallible when it comes to corruption and it seems to persist to a degree here. Maybe it happened by chance? Who knows! It's just hard to pass off an apparent oversight in the wake of the Russian shenanigans at the Olympic games. Am I alone with this thought process?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

Quote from Brandon Sommers's post:

"Taylor broke Yazdani. Was losing early as Yazdani controlled the ties and scored push outs. Taylor scored a takedown at the end of the first to cut it to 3-2, and then rattled off 2 more in the 2nd and pinned him as Yazdani gave up.

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"At work. Quick question: did Taylor wrestle Yazdani?"

"

Thanks. With J'Den moving to football this puts D.T. in great shape for 2020.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

D.T. had a great performance at the World Cup. IMO he is the greatest wrestler in the world at sitting the corner and scoring from single leg defense. The Iranian should of known not to shoot single legs on Taylor. However, it was a little concerning watching him get pushed out so much. He maybe needs to add some muscle for the monsters of the World.

A good effort by the US overall. Iran has a really good team. The dual came down to the last match.You could feel the passion of the fans throughout the entire dual, it was very inspiring to witness. I hope as fans we can become more engaged like the Iranians.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

With Dake right behind Burroughs and Megaludis starting to win internationally, The future looks good for the USA team. I also thought the officiating was pretty good, no crazy calls from what I saw. Great crowd too. You have to hand it to the Iranians. That Yarygan tournament looked deserted in the stands. That surprised me.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

ShepDiggityDog: as the man MJ once sang, you are not alone.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on February 17, 2017

when did J'den decide to go into football

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 18, 2017

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"when did J'den decide to go into football"

He has apparently said that himself. I believe some time ago there was a link to an article about it on The Mat, which I rarely visit anymore. He intends to play for Missouri one year as I recall.

I suppose that doesn't mean he can't switch back if it doesn't work out but he seems pretty committed.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3