Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Dresser to ISU
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

Didn't see this one coming but in the end I think that money talked. Dresser gets a big raise by taking the ISU job with a base salary of 300K beginning next season. My guess--Virginia Tech did not want to give Dresser a big raise and figured they can win with Tony Robie or another hire.

ISU has made a big move by offering Dresser this type of money (a lot for wrestling....maybe more than anyone not named Cael Sanderson). I'm shocked they made such a significant offer but evidently their Athletic Department values wrestling and wants to see ISU back amongst the top programs in the nation. Good for them.

In case you're wondering--Tom Ryan's base salary is around 190K (or was the last time I checked). I have no idea how much he makes with camps, clinics or other contract incentives.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/17830

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Watson added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" My guess--Virginia Tech did not want to give Dresser a big raise and figured they can win with Tony Robie or another hire.

"

I thought I read that VT matched ISU's offer but the big motivating factor is that Dresser is from the area and his mother and other family still live there.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"

" My guess--Virginia Tech did not want to give Dresser a big raise and figured they can win with Tony Robie or another hire.

"

I thought I read that VT matched ISU's offer but the big motivating factor is that Dresser is from the area and his mother and other family still live there."

That and Iowa will have to wrestle against him now.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

Be curious if they will lose any recruits. I assume it depends on who they hire.

132- #3 Mitch Moore
132- #11 Cole Manley
160- #4 Hunter Bolen
160- #7 Mekhi Lewis

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Be curious if they will lose any recruits. I assume it depends on who they hire.

132- #3 Mitch Moore
132- #11 Cole Manley
160- #4 Hunter Bolen
160- #7 Mekhi Lewis"

Are they all seniors who have signed NLI? If so, they've shown in the past that they will not release. FWIW, I think it's a good hire for ISU.

Jason Russell added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

If I were VT, I would go after Cary Kolat.

"

"

I thought I read that VT matched ISU's offer but the big motivating factor is that Dresser is from the area and his mother and other family still live there."

I read the opposite...that VT was not willing to raise him 100K per year.

"

"

"

I read the opposite...that VT was not willing to raise him 100K per year."

You certainly could be right. I didn't go back and re-verify.

Quote from Jason Russell's post:

"If I were VT, I would go after Cary Kolat."

I've got to imagine that's one of VT's targets. Robie will probably also get a look.

If Robie is competent, he'd be the best choice for the same reason Eggum is a good selection to take over for J. Rob. Quality assistants know the program and don't need to re-invent it. They just need to keep doing the things that the head guy did to make it successful.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

College coaches at the highest level need to be dynamic recruiters. Dresser was able to attract top talent to Blacksburg.

Cael, Tom Ryan, Tom Brands, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban... all great coaches. But they also attract the best talent.

I think Zadick is the wild card here. He seems like that dynamic personality who kids would want to compete for.

Side note - I wonder if any tier one wrestling schools would ever (or have ever) taken a run at Tom Borelli?

"If Robie is competent, he'd be the best choice for the same reason Eggum is a good selection to take over for J. Rob. Quality assistants know the program and don't need to re-invent it. They just need to keep doing the things that the head guy did to make it successful."

OK, I totally agree with this on it's face, but hear me out for a second. There are like a half a dozen programs that are where they're "supposed" to be. Penn State, Iowa, OSU, Ohio State, Cornell, Minnesota, maybe a few others. As good as the assistants might be, doesn't almost every program in America need to rethink the way their doing things? Shouldn't they all be thinking "re-invent"?

Point in case...Tommy Rowlands was an amazing high school wrestler, a national level talent in Ohio State's back yard. He came to tOSU and did not disappoint: 4X AA, 2X NCAA champion, great on and off the mat. He then was an assistant while perusing his World Team goals, a true ambassador for Buckeye wrestling. Is there anyone who thinks Ohio State made the wrong choice going "outside the Ohio State family"? You can't prove the negative, but it's hard to imagine a Head Coach Rowlands doing a better job than Coach Ryan has done.

I don't know that Kolat or Zadick would be the answer, but VaTech is good enough that they should make it a national search for the coach that can take them to the next level.

Tom Rowlands is not the proper example.

If Rowlands had spent years under Ryan and then Ryan left, it would apply. Rowlands was around for Hellickson and his inconsistency.

Hypothetical question--The Brands twins die in a plane crash and Iowa decides they want Tom Ryan. They offer him 500K per year to leave Ohio State. He takes the money and heads to Iowa City. Would J. Jaggers be the right guy to step in? Is he the same type of seasoned assistant as Eggum or (perhaps) Robie? Remember, up until this year Lou Rosselli was the associate head coach. Just curious as to what people think.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Side note - I wonder if any tier one wrestling schools would ever (or have ever) taken a run at Tom Borelli?"

ive known Tom Borrelli for many years, amazingly some high profile programs he applied for never gave him an interview. Why i don't know? I think he became disgusted, i don't even know if he applies anymore. As he has aged i think he is happy at C Mich. ....But then again just maybe he would like one try vs the Big Boys??

re Tom Ryan--hypothetically- geting an offer from Iowa. I don't think he takes it.... he loves Ohio St, his family loves Columbus, he loves the situation he is in right now. And unlike Dresser though both wrestled at Iowa, Ryan is not from Iowa rather he is from NY. (And camp $ amounts to alot at major colleges.)

Hank...Good call on my Rowlands comparison being wrong. I get that continuity in a successful program is what you're talking about. Rowlands wouldn't have been that at the time, as tOSU wasn't a successful program. I guess that's my point too. How many programs are successful enough to stick with an assistant? If I may, another example, Michigan State. I loved watching Roger Chandler as a high schooler and a college wrestler. I don't know the man and wish him no ill will. But is that a place you want continuity?

I know VaTech is further along, but now is the time to make the big hire...be one of those teams that's in the hunt. Am I wrong (it's likely)?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next