Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Dresser to ISU
Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 21, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"If I may, another example, Michigan State. I loved watching Roger Chandler as a high schooler and a college wrestler. I don't know the man and wish him no ill will. But is that a place you want continuity?"

I'm not sure this is the best example either because when was the last time Michigan State showed any attempt or concern about being good? If they did they'd have fired the previous coach a decade before.

It's hard to find a comparable example because there are so few top notch programs -- but those that are doing great have gone and gotten the best person, regardless of previous employment local, that they could.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Dresser to ISU
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2017

A couple thoughts on Dresser:
Money was the overriding factor...as it usually is.
see link to Flo article: http://www.flowrestling.org/article/52263-iowa-state-to-pay-kevin-dresser-2-25m-over-7-years

Dresser was the consummate team building coach. Tough kids at every weight with depth. But he never had a superstar in the lineup to build around who could lead them to the top. No NCAA champs in all his years at Virginia Tech.

Personally, I think the program has a successful model. If I'm the AD and feel confident Robie can keep them top 8, I keep him. But I also think Virginia Tech's model probably prevents them from landing a "Logan Stieber" type. If the AD wants them to compete with PSU, then you probably need to find someone else.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2