Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Timing of Dresser, Jackson, Iowa State, V Tech and everything else...
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

I find the timing to be incredibly....odd.

Here's my understanding of the timeline.

Two weeks ago: Jackson resigns or is fired following the completion of this season. He says he is not successful and wants the program to succeed.

One week ago: Dresser's name starts popping up

Three days ago: Dresser hired at Iowa State, He is removed at V Tech, Robles takes over at V Tech

Yesterday: Iowa State All American Dismissed from team, Dresser press conference, Jackson removes himself for post-season run, Paulson named interim.

WHY NOT JUST WAIT A MONTH?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Timing of Dresser, Jackson, Iowa State, V Tech and everything else...
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

Brian - I think the answer is recruiting. They had maybe the top class in the country, by doing it now it provides Dresser with ample time to retain the class.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

I really feel for the VT athletes. I hope they can be successful in the post-season despite the tumult.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

I agree. They brought in like 8 top 150 recruits this year, and several of them have or are rumored to be decommitting. I think he was brought in asap to stop the bleeding, and possibly re-recruit some of these guys. I also wonder if any of those V-tech recruits (ala Mitch Moore) may reconsider their commitment to tech.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Brian - I think the answer is recruiting. They had maybe the top class in the country, by doing it now it provides Dresser with ample time to retain the class."

Yeah but no one was de-committing until Jackson was asked to step down.

Brian has a good point. Normally, you would just wait until season ended. My guess is that something took place (maybe the Downey situation?) and the AD was forced to take action early. Dresser leaving his team just before the conference tourney is not ideal for him or the team. It sullies his rep a bit...although I'd have done it too.

Steve Durose added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

It's possible that if we knew the reason for Downey's dismissal it would shed light on the timing of Jackson's leaving.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

You know you're going to fire the coach. If you wait until after the season, it significantly shaves the time you have to search for a new coach and subsequently keep the team (current and recruits) in place.

I think it was kind of a shrewd move. Seemed to work out well.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on February 23, 2017

I understand the timing of Dresser leaving because he had to take job then.

Jackson stopping before end of season is mind boggling. Feels like he's bailing on the team.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on February 24, 2017

The guys on FRL eluded to rumors about Downey's dismissal from the team many weeks ago, and seemed shocked that it took this long. No specific details though.

► Add to the Discussion