Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Do high school wrestling teams still scrimmage?
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on February 24, 2017

Back in the olden days I remember that scrimmages with nearby high school teams were an important component of the wrestling season before the regular dual meet schedule started. The scrimmages would be held in the wrestling room during the regular practice hours and the matches would be run like regular matches (same amount of clock time and periods), with the coaches doing the refereeing. I remember wrestling usually one match(or sometimes two matches with a break in between) against opponents from the other teams.

Do high school teams still have these types of scrimmages or have they gone the way of the DoDo bird?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Schein added to this discussion on February 24, 2017

That's a good question. A lot of teams go with previews and All star matches, that may count as their scrimmage. We used to invite teams over for a practice but not what I would call a scrimmage

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 25, 2017

The OHSAA used to have a rule about scrimmages. The limit was 4 per season. The rationale--rural schools would have a harder time finding scrimmages since they were further apart from each other as opposed to urban areas where many high schools are nearby. So the number was kept low out of fairness.

The reality--some schools participated in scrimmages on a weekly basis.

Given the fact that squads are smaller today and the increased emphasis on tournament performance, I'd imagine there are lots of scrimmages taking place. But that's just a guess.

No idea if the limit is still four....or if the OHSAA has changed it.

► Add to the Discussion