Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Transgender wrestling - it had to happen
J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 27, 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/society/video/2017/feb/26/transgender-teenage-wrestler-wins-texas-girls-state-championship-video

Though I thought the first story would be 'the other way around' so to speak. This is going to be interesting watching this unfold over the next year or two.

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on February 27, 2017

This is, in my opinion, a Texas problem, not the athlete's problem. It has been stated multiple times that he wanted to wrestle on the boys side. So, it was this or not at all.

I know wrestling tends to be somewhat of a politically right-leaning sport, so I'm sure I am in the minority here. I'm not going to pretend to understand being transgender, but I do understand people needing to be themselves. I look at this as a situation where state governing body made the wrong call. How hard would it be to basically say, "hey, everyone...this is who I am"....then have the state sports association say, "wait...no you're not."

Texas is an old boys network with sports...the history of how they added girls division shows that. It was created to appease girls that wanted to compete; they didn't expect it to pop like it did. Google it up.

I think this was an easy and quick choice: the athlete should have been granted permission based on gender (not sex) to compete in the boys division.

I do realize, that when applied the other way, it becomes much more complex. A biological male/transgender female competing against girls is significantly trickier. I don't have the answer for this, especially in contact or combat sports.

Regarding the hormone boosts, I'm not a doctor. It is my understanding that there are levels that are considered acceptable as medicine, or in this case, to raise the T. If the state approves it, though, and doesn't assign the wrestler to the boys division, then that is on them. Not on the kid trying to compete.

Before you light me up, fellas, take any personal beliefs out of the equation. Does this make any sense from a state standpoint? It was, in my opinion, an easy fix that wasn't taken.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on February 27, 2017

"I do realize, that when applied the other way, it becomes much more complex. A biological male/transgender female competing against girls is significantly trickier. I don't have the answer for this, especially in contact or combat sports. "

I guess that you/we need to have an answer going both ways.
It is really hard to justify it one way but not the other.
Just my $.02.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 27, 2017

Agree with you JP. Texas made this difficult with their ruling. He/she should have competed against boys. Very unusual situation and not one likely to happen very often...if ever again.

► Add to the Discussion