Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan teaser
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Malik Heinselman is a very accomplished international wrestler. Can someone provide his national folkstyle accomplishments? Doesn't seem to be a lot of folkstyle matches on him and the one I did find, length and strength was an issue."

I haven't seen the kid, and I won't be able to today because I'm at work. You can be a small junior and still have room to grow...David Taylor comes to mind. Does anyone know his age? Was he a middle school red-shirt?

I remember watching Erik Burnett back in the day thinking he was as good as any 118-pounder in the country. The problem was, he was still a 112-pounder. Even with that size disadvantage, he was able to achieve All American status.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Malik Heinselman is a very accomplished international wrestler. Can someone provide his national folkstyle accomplishments? Doesn't seem to be a lot of folkstyle matches on him and the one I did find, length and strength was an issue."

I haven't seen the kid, and I won't be able to today because I'm at work. You can be a small junior and still have room to grow...David Taylor comes to mind. Does anyone know his age? Was he a middle school red-shirt?

I remember watching Erik Burnett back in the day thinking he was as good as any 118-pounder in the country. The problem was, he was still a 112-pounder. Even with that size disadvantage, he was able to achieve All American status."

Devils advocate, for every success story, there are more unsuccessful stories. David Taylor is a bad example, because his accomplishments were in both freestyle and folkstyle. Taylor wrestled 112# as a junior which makes him closer to 125# than wrestling 106# at the same age.

All I'm saying is that being that light at a junior will pose issues IF he doesn't grow into a solid 125# wrestler. Vega out of ISU to me is a better comparison in size, weight and resume (minus folkstyle). Vega had a decent 14-7 redshirt season and most of his loses I wouldn't considered bad loses.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

I honestly don't know what a good comparison would be. I've never seen him wrestle. Taylor came to mind as a lightweight junior. That's what made me think of Erik Burnett as well.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"How excited should I be about Hubbard? Depth guy or AA potential?"

He's a depth guy at Ohio State, not someone you expect/hope to start in the near term. 2x SP, projected to take third this year at state as a junior. A program like Kent State or Ohio U. would view him as a more important piece.

Mead (if he was to have committed) is also a depth guy. The Koontz twins are depth guys as well.

Heinselman, presuming some physical size growth, is a "big ticket" type of guy. The talent and productivity is there, the question is size."

Thanks, Josh. Wasn't sure if he was trending upwards or if 3rd/4th placer is who is he is.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Malik is a blue chipper! This shores up 125 until 2024. We need JRod to make 125 for 2 more years (HAHA!) and then he can bump up his senior year unless a Koontz twin can step in at 125 in 2018/19 while Malik will need a RS season most likely. Brady got 2nd this year at 113 and Dylan got 3rd at 120 at Wisco State Tourney.

I think those Decatur boys are huge for their weight classes and expect them to loosen their belts next year. As Juniors, I would hope to see them not cutting so much weight.

let's start looking at the 7th graders for Malik's replacement!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"Malik is a blue chipper! This shores up 125 until 2024. We need JRod to make 125 for 2 more years (HAHA!) and then he can bump up his senior year unless a Koontz twin can step in at 125 in 2018/19 while Malik will need a RS season most likely. Brady got 2nd this year at 113 and Dylan got 3rd at 120 at Wisco State Tourney.

I think those Decatur boys are huge for their weight classes and expect them to loosen their belts next year. As Juniors, I would hope to see them not cutting so much weight.

let's start looking at the 7th graders for Malik's replacement!"

Matt: I'm with you on most of this but I have seen the Decaturs wrestle a lot this year. Jacob is jacked but he is tiny. Malik seems to have a little more length to add weight.

Hank: I was not confident more free rules would improve college wrestling; I'm getting there. It just seems like more and more guys are learning cheap rides and bogging down action. That ankle ride by Gulibon allows him to stay in matches perhaps he shouldn't but it looks to me like he does nothing with it offensively. He's not the only one.

And America will survive a Trump just like we would have survived Hillary. Deep breaths.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"
Matt: I'm with you on most of this but I have seen the Decaturs wrestle a lot this year. Jacob is jacked but he is tiny. Malik seems to have a little more length to add weight.
"

I agree with you Roe. I just look at his older brother Josh who wrestled 141 at BW, and think Jacob could be a 133/141 and Jordan could be a 141/149 some day. I agree though, that will take growing more to happen.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Roe: You're my hero.

FWIW--I like riding and turning. But I can't stand hanging on for the sake of it. Gulibon's obviously not riding to turn (though he has a good tilt) but he's hardly the only one.

Matt--Your 7th grade comment made me almost choke on my brisket sandwich.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

I'm not too worried about Malik's size. Tomasello wrestled 120 as a senior and eventually got too big for 125, so I think a senior 113 (or even 106) can fill in nicely at 125.

I wrestled 103 my senior year of high school, and by my sophomore year of college an opposing coach at weigh-ins called me "a big '25 pounder."

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

I have seen several mentions of OSU wrestling recruits, but I haven't found one good article that describes the whole group.

I have tried to list the committed recruits over the next two years, as I am aware of them. Please correct any mistakes or omissions that I may have made in this summary!

The Koontz twins from Wisconsin - both project at 125.
Jacob Decatur - 125
Jashon Hubbard (Stubenville) - 149/155
Kaleb Romero (Mechanicsburg) - 165-175
Chase Singletary (NJ) - 285

Malik Heinselman (CO) - 125
Jaden Mattox (Central Crossing) - 155/165

I have seen several mentions of OSU wrestling recruits, but I haven't found one good article that describes the whole group.

I have tried to list the committed recruits over the next two years, as I am aware of them. Please correct any mistakes or omissions that I may have made in this summary!

The Koontz twins from Wisconsin - both project at 125.
Jacob Decatur - 125
Jashon Hubbard (Stubenville) - 149/155
Kaleb Romero (Mechanicsburg) - 165-175
Chase Singletary (NJ) - 285

Malik Heinselman (CO) - 125
Jaden Mattox (Central Crossing) - 155/165

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Both Decatur brothers are currently sophomores so they belong in the 2019 class.

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"Both Decatur brothers are currently sophomores so they belong in the 2019 class."

Has the other brother committed?

Steve Durose added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Both Decaturs are sophomores and both are committed. Also, Zach Steiner, a senior from Norwayne, is committed.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

Hubbard is 2018 I think.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next