Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: My thoughts on the B1G Championships
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

125 – Jose Rodriguez – 8 seed – Looking at last year’s bracket, Jose will either have an unseeded wrestler or a bye. I am going to assume he wins that. He then faces Gilman, and a loss is coming there. He would drop into the consis and have either the 7 seed or whomever that person has in the first round. Assuming Jose can beat two unseeded wrestlers, he would be assured of a top 8 finish. He’s then looking at a match against either Lizak or Youtsey to assure placement. If he wins, he’s in. If he loses, he will be in the 8th place match. This is also likely to be against an unseeded wrestler, as I expect Suriano to default out and open up a spot.

Prediction – 7th place and a he’s a qualifier (Gilman over Lambert for the title.)

133 – Nathan Tomasello – 1 seed – I expect NaTo to beat Welch in the quarters and Micic in the semis. It won’t be as close as it was in Vegas. McKee will give Montoya a good go in the quarters, and Clark will take him out in the semis.

Prediction – NaTo over Clark, 7-3

141 – Luke Pletcher – 5 seed – Seeds can be changed, and Pletcher could jump to the 4, but no higher. That’s not a lot of difference. He has an earlier win over McCrystal, and I think he can repeat that and hit the semis. There he would likely face Ashnault, who handled him easily already this year. Assuming a loss there, I see him facing Carton of Iowa again. Pletcher wins this one easier than the last and is assured a top 4 finish.

Prediction – 3rd, with another win over McCrystal (Ashnault over Thorn for the title.)

149 – Micah Jordan – 3 seed – Micah eases to the semis with bonus over Crone in the quarters. A rematch with Sorenson awaits. I think Micah will be much more aggressive, knowing that he needs at least 1 takedown. I think he gets one, but the match goes to OT. Sorenson wins in rideouts.

Prediction – 3rd, with bonus in every match but the semis. (Zain over Sorenson by 6 for the title.)

157 – Jake Ryan – 11 seed – First match will be against Murphy, and I don’t see a win. He then should have Sullivan, the 14 seed, and I think he wins that one. He would probably see Langenderfer, whom I think he can beat, but I don’t think he will. He then drops into a four man bracket for the 9th spot. I think he makes the 9-10 match.

Prediction – 10th and no qualification

165 – Cody Burcher – unseeded – Cody wrestled close matches with the 6, 7 and 8 seeds, and Gunther isn’t unbeatable. Cody has to win one match against a seeded wrestler to make the 7th place match. There, he is likely to have a second seeded wrestler. It’s a touch road for Cody, but one he can get through.

Prediction – 8th, and no spot at NCAAs, just like last year. (Martinez over Massa, 5-3, for the title.)

174 – Bo Jordan – 1 seed – Bo should have a bye and then bonus in the quarters. In the semis, Bo should see Amine for the first time. I see Bo winning comfortably, and setting up the long awaited match against Hall.

Prediction – Bo uses his ridiculous hips to fend off and counter a Hall shot, rides him hard and wears him down, and wins 4-3.

184 – Myles Martin – 4 seed – If seeds hold, which would be ridiculous, then Martin will see Shadia and then Dudley. While I think the match with Dudley will be closer, I see another match with Nickal in the semis. Martin makes some adjustments, and finishes a shot early, but Nickal is too much, and advances.

Prediction – Martin takes 3rd over Dudley. (Nickal over Jackson by fall.)

197 – Kollin Moore – 2 seed – Moore is likely to see either Wilke or an unseeded wrestler in the quarters, either way it’s a major. He sees Studebaker again and wins again, setting up a third match with Pfarr.

Prediction – Pfarr wins again, which screws Moore with the 4 seed at NCAAs.

285 – Kyle Snyder – 1 seed – Pin, tech, major, major. STUD!!!!!

Team – Without Suriano, Penn State loses 20+ points. That brings them back to the field a little. Ohio State would need a lot of things to go their way (Jordan into the finals, Myles getting the 3 seed and making the finals, Moore winning) with some PSU things going sour to have a shot at winning the title.

Prediction – Ohio State takes 2nd behind Penn State, a little closer than some are expecting.

#GoBucks

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 2, 2017

I think this is a very well thought out analysis. Nice job Jason! Maybe I think it's so good because it so closely resembles my opinions. I might only change a few things. I think Massa actually beats IMar (I know this is crazy) and I think 157 class might open up a little more because of injuries. Can anyone confirm if Jake will be wrestling?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Always tough to dispute such great analyses from Jason so I won't.

I do see Montoya beating Clark and giving NaTo another tough go.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Great analysis Jason. I look for a much better showing from Jose Rodriguez from the standpoint of time after weigh-ins. The one hour weigh-ins killed Jose during the dual season. I think with a two hour weigh-in and potentially a bye I think Jose resembles closer to the wrestler we saw in Vegas. While I whole-heartedly agree that he doesn't beat Gilman on his best day, I do think he can pull an upset or two in the consis. I'll predict a top 6 finish.
For this same reason I think that Pletcher may struggle a little more. He was a handful for guys off of the one hour weigh-in. With the added time I think guys like Carton and McCrystal are probably a little more difficult to edge out as the tournament goes on. I think he either wrestles to his current seed or worse. I hope I'm completely wrong, but I think the weigh-in times matter when the competition level is this high.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Anybody use BTN plus? I'm a little annoyed the Big Ten Network is only airing the finals. I was hoping they'd at least get the semi's in there too...

Ben Watson added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Very in-depth. Nice read. I do hope Kollin Moore can pull off the upset and grab a seed on the opposite side of the bracket as J'Den at NCAAs.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Flow has the Bucks placing

125 Jose - 7th
133 Nato - 1st
141 Luke - 3rd
149 Micah - 3rd
157 Jake - DNP
165 Burcher -DNP
174 Bo - 2nd
184 Myles - 5th
197 Moore - 1st
285. Snyder - 1st.

Team - 2nd.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

A big thing I'm looking at this weekend is Myles performance. If he takes third that will give him additional wins over Dudley and then presumably Dudley, Jackson, or Brooks. I THINK that will be enough to get him a top 6 seed at NCAAs. If he's seeded 7-10 that puts him on an early path to a match-up with Dean or Nicakl, and I don't him being seeded lower than 10th. A top 6 seed give him a great path to the semis where we will see if he can pull of some magic. We know he can beat Nickal and he improved in his second bout against Dean.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"Very in-depth. Nice read. I do hope Kollin Moore can pull off the upset and grab a seed on the opposite side of the bracket as J'Den at NCAAs."

If I was a Buckeye fan, I'd want Moore to have the fourth seed. It seems to me, at this point, AA is a forgone conclusion for the freshman and his goal is to be an NCAA champion this year. You're going to have to go through Cox and Pfarr at some point. What does it matter when that point is. I think the pressure of the finals against a 2X champ favors Cox. He's been there, he's done that. Take him on in the semis.

...For the record, I think Cox wins his third title in pretty straight forward fashion.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

I see your point and don't completely disagree. I was actually looking at it more from a 2nd is better than 3rd viewpoint.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Quote from Eric Curitore's post:

"Anybody use BTN plus? I'm a little annoyed the Big Ten Network is only airing the finals. I was hoping they'd at least get the semi's in there too..."

Eric, I subscribe to BTN plus and it is a quality feed and you can watch 4 matches at once. My suggestion is that you sign up for the service for this weekend and then cancel the service after the tournament. I subscribe to it during the whole season and then put a calendar reminder to cancel it.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Brackets

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/documents/2017/3/3//2017B1G_Brackets.pdf

Ben Watson added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

Quote from Ben Watson's post:

"Very in-depth. Nice read. I do hope Kollin Moore can pull off the upset and grab a seed on the opposite side of the bracket as J'Den at NCAAs."

If I was a Buckeye fan, I'd want Moore to have the fourth seed. It seems to me, at this point, AA is a forgone conclusion for the freshman and his goal is to be an NCAA champion this year. You're going to have to go through Cox and Pfarr at some point. What does it matter when that point is. I think the pressure of the finals against a 2X champ favors Cox. He's been there, he's done that. Take him on in the semis.

...For the record, I think Cox wins his third title in pretty straight forward fashion."

Fair points. I am also looking at it from a "what's the best chance to make the finals" perspective.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Brackets

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/documents/2017/3/3//2017B1G_Brackets.pdf"

Brackets don't list match numbers. Oops.

Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 3, 2017

I really like Jose's draw. He can make the 3rd place match and it's not a stretch.

Jose bonuses Griffin and loses to Gilman. He takes out Beck and then faces Lizak. Lizak fades again and Jose picks up a huge W. He then beats Oliver and loses to Youtsey to take 4th.

If he loses to Lizak he would likely have Paetzell or Piotrowski for 7th and a spot, and I think he takes that.

I feel better about him qualifying today.

Burcher has a shot too. He has to beat two of Wanzek, Gunther, Williams or Hughes to do it, but that's not impossible.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next