Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: What are Chances of At-Large NCAA Bids for Burcher and Ryan?
Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

The Buckeyes had a great Big Ten Tournament. And, every wrestler on the team had some great individual moments. But, at the end of the day, Cody Burcher and Jake Ryan did not earn automatic bids at the Big Ten tournament.

I think that Cody has had an interesting and rewarding year wrestling 2 classes higher than he wrestled last year. A weight class bump of that magnitude is tough for anyone, but I certainly think that Cody has improved significantly this year at the higher weight. - He missed the automatic bid by one spot, at the Big Tens (the toughest conference in the country). He had one signature win over a higher ranked wrestler in the tournament, and competed hard in all matches. - Some of the 'all encompassing' rankings had him in the 22-23 rank range in the 165 weight class coming in. - With respect to injuries or major upsets at other tournaments that may affect his ranking, I would like to think that Cody will get an at-large bid. - I think that his body of work for the season has been strong enough to be considered one of the 33 best in the country at his weight. I predict his chances at 80% to get an NCAA invitation.

I am not as optimistic for Jake. Due to many issues, his on the mat performance has not been as good this year as last year. While I believe a lot of that had to do with injuries, I think that are many other 157's that are going to lay claim to those at large spots that were ranked higher than Jake coming in to the tournament. Again, he finished in 10th, and was one spot from the automatic qualifier spot, but I see less than a 10% of him making it through the selection committee. I would be pleasantly surprised if he received a bid, but I don't expect it.

Those are just my opinions, and I am sure there are others out there with different opinions and I would be glad to hear them.

I would love to see all 10 OSU wrestlers make the NCAA, but I don't think that it is going to happen this year? Maybe next year!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Watson added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

I think Cody's wins against Gunther (Iowa), Sebastian (Northwestern), Torres (NCO), and White (Columbia) give him a decent shot at an "at large" bid. Interesting that Flo's article outlining "at large" probables lists Ryan but not Burcher.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

I agree. I also look at OSU Wrestling's tweet about the nature of Jake's injuries points towards them not prusuing the at-large bid. But, I could be way off.

Burcher is absolutely a top 33 guy. I hope he gets pulled in, a win is not out of the question.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Does the fact that Ohio State will be battling for the national title behind Penn State and Oklahoma State factor in choosing Ryan and Burcher as at-large qualifiers?

I can certainly argue that it shouldn't matter. Give the at-large selections to whomever is most deserving but the NCAA isn't stupid either. Having The Buckeyes hot in the mix is good for the fans and good for the NCAA.

What do you think?

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Joe:

My personal opinion is that the committee owes the respect to the wrestlers who have earned their 32nd, or 33rd spot, to get that selection, regardless of other team factors.

That's just my opinion. - I wouldn't want to be the #33 guy that gets left home to help out some other team competing for a national tournament championship. - A competitor would not be pleased with that decision!

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

The committee decides on at-large selections today. Keep your fingers crossed.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Shahid djjsix d ehejs s dbjx!

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Shahid djjsix d ehejs s dbjx!"

Couldn't agree more! Very insightful and such a cerebral approach, Niemann!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Do you know how hard it is to type with your fingers crossed!?!?!

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

lol and I'm the donkey (did you know the filters don't allow you to say the bad word for Donkey?) that took the bait! Dang it. Got me! :)

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Do you know how hard it is to type with your fingers crossed!?!?!"

Ha

► Add to the Discussion