Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 Bucks
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Yes, this post is too premature. I realize NCAA's are two weeks from now but I'm curious to how you see next season shaping up.

125- I assume J Rod will not be here again. Are one of the Koontz twins Iikely to fill this spot? If so, is .500 the best we can reasonably expect?

133- NATO chasing #3?

141- KeShawn Hayes with Pletcher red shirting?

149- How easily is Micah making the cut to 49?

157- Does Burcher move down and claim this weight? Can Ryan shake his funk? Is the Kaleb Romero era going to begin?

165- Anyone have a Isaiah White sighting?

174- BoJo chasing #2?

184- MyMar will contend with a year to grow into a 74#?

197- Kollin Frickin Moore #1?

285- Will Snyderman even break a sweat winning #3?

What have I missed?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

125...Think we get a transfer 25....I don't know who but someone
133 NATO (title contender)
141 Pletcher...no need to redshirt he's ready!! Just need to get bigger. (Low to mid all American)
149 Hayes....Beef up now young pup (low to mid all American)
157 Micah...Think he matches up better with Nolf than retherford (title contender)
165 Romero/White....we have a freshman score points every year...shouldn't stop now
174 Bojo Title contender
184 Myles Title Contender
197 Kollin Title Contender
285 Snyder Champ

This would be my strategic plan to win next year barring injury.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

I think you've got it nailed. Big issues will be 125 and 165. JRod may have an easier time cutting if his knee gets fixed. Otherwise it will either be the Koontz twins or someone else not yet on the roster ie: transfer or recruit.

165 should be interesting. Again--Can Cleary make a leap and become a starter? Can Kaleb Romero cut down for a year? Or is there someone else? White or another transfer....

Ideally, Nate would shrink down for one more year and Pletcher/Rodriguez would battle it out for 133. But every interview with Nate seems to indicate he's much happier this year.

I think 157 should be a battle between Ryan and Burcher but that's just my opinion. I think one of the reasons Burcher has been serviceable has been because he's not cutting weight. He's not a big 165.

Ideally, Micah would grow into 157 and Hayes would become a 149. Then Pletcher could lift into 141.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

I agree with all three of you to some extent, with a few twists.

125 - I think that they need Jose here for one more year. This is spot that's open to him. I know that he had weight issues this year, but perhaps the nutitionists and weight trainers can find a regimen to handle the weight for the next year. - With another year's experience and development he could be very competitive, if he can manage the weight.

133 - NATO will be here as long as he wants. UNLESS, he wants to move up, then this would be a very good settling point for Luke P.

141 - If NATO stays at 133, Luke should fit in nicely to this spot, since he handled it very well even as he moved up from 133 in mid-season. Given the entire off-season to build muscle, he should be well prepared for the weight next October with the proper training table.

149 - KESHAWN. Both he and Luke are too good to be left on the bench. Get him in the game. I don't know if this is a big weight increase for him, but again there is time to train for the weight.

157 - Micah was wrestling this weight 2 years ago in his redshirt freshman year. It seems like a natural transition to me.

165 - I am convinced that Kaleb Romero is the guy at this weight next year. He's been a part time wrestler because of football, and he is still fantastic and is expected to be a four-time champion. He is the next Myles Martin or Kollin Moore once he commits full-time to wrestling. I am told by local sources that he routinely cuts 20 - 30 pounds every year between football and wrestling seasons. Getting to 165 while training full-time for wrestling will be no problem for him. I believe he is wrestling 170 this year anyway.

174 - A healthy Bo is a CHAMP.

184 - Myles will always be an NCAA champion. This is an awfully tough weight class, but he has already proven he can beat anyone on the field on his best day.

197 - I love Kollin Moore! Hard working, great ethics, small town, 'I will outwork you kind of guy'. LOVEIT!

285 - It's a shame we only get Kyle for one more year. I would like to make him a permanent fixture here. I always thought Logan was my favorite wrestler all-time to watch, but Kyle, NATO, and BO are all so close to my heart!

I think that this lineup can wrestle toe to toe with anyone in the country. - My biggest risk to this plan is whether Jose can make the weight cut another year, and is there anyone ready to take over immediately if he isn't? At least with the twins coming next year, there is a possibility of a backup once in a while to give him a rest if needed!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

I like the fact Dean & Brooks graduate this year, two of Myles' nemesis. He can handle Nickal, but Brooks seems to have his number.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 6, 2017

Keshawn looked huge over the weekend so I could see him at 149 next year. Micah doesn't seem oversized at 149 though. If White ends up a Buckeye next year he would fill a hole at 157 or 165. I'd like to see Romero redshirt. Bucks have had good success in recent years sitting big time recruits, when the rs doesn't get pulled. Maybe Jose gets healthy and anchors 125 again until Malik is on campus. Upper weights are rock solid.

How awesome would it be to win the national title in Cleveland in a year?

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

I like the thought of Pletcher at 41 and Ke-Shawn at 49. I forgot Micah was at 57 originally.

I have heard rumblings that White wants to definitely be at TOSU next year and has the grades to get in.

If White is at 65 next year then redshirt Romero and let him move into 74 in two years after BoJo is gone.

Looking like JRod will have to be at 25 next year or he won't get on the mat.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Could we see Jose move to 141 and Pletcher RS?

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

would love to see:

125- Jose
133- Nato
141- Pletcher
149- Hayes
157- Micah
165- White
174- Bo
184- Myles
197- Moore
285- Snyder

That's a national championship team, without a doubt! And it leaves tons in the tank if anyone goes down with injury or issues in the form of roster depth up and down the line-up.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Everything depends on whether or not Pletcher can grow into a legit 141, Hayes into a legit 149 and Jordan into a legit 157. The odds of that happening for all three are slim. If it doesn't work out that way, you red-shirt Pletcher while Tomesello finishes out his career and the only difference in the line-up is Hayes replaces Pletcher. I'd drop Butcher to 157. At worst he's an NCAA qualifier who has a pinner's chance. 165 is either Romero or a hole. But even with a hole, that's a very good team....better than this year's squad.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Everything depends on whether or not Pletcher can grow into a legit 141, Hayes into a legit 149 and Jordan into a legit 157. The odds of that happening for all three are slim. If it doesn't work out that way, you red-shirt Pletcher while Tomesello finishes out his career and the only difference in the line-up is Hayes replaces Pletcher. I'd drop Butcher to 157. At worst he's an NCAA qualifier who has a pinner's chance. 165 is either Romero or a hole. But even with a hole, that's a very good team....better than this year's squad."

I tend to like long-term planning, so here's a couple of thoughts on this. Luke wrestled 141 undersized this year and did pretty well. A year's experience and 7 months to bulk up, I would have to think that he would be fine at 141. Micah was 157 two years ago, so I would think that the return to 157 should be natural for his body weight. The only person that you are stretching a little is KeShawn. From comments on this thread, it sounds like he may already be carrying that extra weight anyway.

With those thoughts in mind, here is a glimpse into the future for 2019.

125 - Malik Henselman (True Fr.)
133 - Jose R. (RS Jr.)
141 - Luke P. (True Jr.)
149 - KeShawn (Can he get a medical RS for this year?)
157 - Micah (RS Sr.)
165 - White?
174 - Romero (True Sophmore)
184 - Myles (True Sr.)
197 - Kollin (RS Jr)
285 - Singletary (RS FR)

That would appear to be a pretty solid lineup, and would stabilize the top half of the lineup for 2-3 years.

It is pretty amazing that we just won our first outright Big Ten Championship in over 65 years, and there is not one Sr. starter on the entire team. That bodes well for at least next year.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 8, 2017

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Everything depends on whether or not Pletcher can grow into a legit 141, Hayes into a legit 149 and Jordan into a legit 157. The odds of that happening for all three are slim. If it doesn't work out that way, you red-shirt Pletcher while Tomesello finishes out his career and the only difference in the line-up is Hayes replaces Pletcher. I'd drop Butcher to 157. At worst he's an NCAA qualifier who has a pinner's chance. 165 is either Romero or a hole. But even with a hole, that's a very good team....better than this year's squad."

I tend to like long-term planning, so here's a couple of thoughts on this. Luke wrestled 141 undersized this year and did pretty well. A year's experience and 7 months to bulk up, I would have to think that he would be fine at 141. Micah was 157 two years ago, so I would think that the return to 157 should be natural for his body weight. The only person that you are stretching a little is KeShawn. From comments on this thread, it sounds like he may already be carrying that extra weight anyway.

With those thoughts in mind, here is a glimpse into the future for 2019.

125 - Malik Henselman (True Fr.)
133 - Jose R. (RS Jr.)
141 - Luke P. (True Jr.)
149 - KeShawn (Can he get a medical RS for this year?)
157 - Micah (RS Sr.)
165 - White?
174 - Romero (True Sophmore)
184 - Myles (True Sr.)
197 - Kollin (RS Jr)
285 - Singletary (RS FR)

That would appear to be a pretty solid lineup, and would stabilize the top half of the lineup for 2-3 years.

It is pretty amazing that we just won our first outright Big Ten Championship in over 65 years, and there is not one Sr. starter on the entire team. That bodes well for at least next year."

I like 2020 better. Use any remaining red shirts in 2019, add Carr and Jordan Decatur. I know we lose Micah but we also lose Neville, Nolf and Nickal to graduation

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

I see Isaiah White won the D-II 165 NCAA title for Notre Dame this weekend.

Nick Lecklider added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

I think that many people on here are severely underestimating Kaleb Romero! I think that once he hits the mats full time he will be a force. Football is the reason why he didn't get the national exposure he deserved by not having enough time to prepare for the ironman! He is a once in a decade athlete and the buckeyes are very fortunate to have him. People don't realize Gabe Dean didn't even win a state championship his senior year in high school in Michigan. Once Gabe only wrestled is when he truly peaked! I honestly believe that Kaleb has the potential to be that sort of wrestler once he solely commits to wrestling. Call me crazy but I expect him to All American right out of the gate. I think he is a very underrated recruit and has the potential to make big noise immediately! Next year the buckeyes must be all in with Snyder tomasello and Jordan all being seniors and I believe that Romero will be a huge contribution to this team!

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

Nick,

Do you think Kaleb could be beat both Burcher and Isaiah White (provided White will even be a Buckeye) next year?

I'm not arguing against your opinion. To come out of high school and beat two guys with collegiate experience would be quite a feat. I have little doubt Kaleb will be the stud Tom Ryan thinks he will be I'm just wondering if he needs that redshirt year under his belt first.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next