Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 Bucks
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Nate could have dropped to avoid Logan or perhaps he dropped for other reasons.
At this point if he does wrestle 133 next season the next best option is to land a transfer. Are there any potential candidates out there?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

I say this every time I have something critical to say about Coach Ryan, but I feel it needs repeated: I THINK COACH RYAN HAS DONE A FANTASTIC JOB AND IS A GREAT COACH AND BY ALL ACCOUNTS A GOOD MAN. That being said...

I'm surprised that so much of this is falling on Tomesello, and so little is falling on Coach Ryan. It's not Nathan Tomesello's job to fill the roster for Ohio State at 125.
It's Coach Ryan's job to fill Ohio State's roster with a competitive 125-pounder.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I say this every time I have something critical to say about Coach Ryan, but I feel it needs repeated: I THINK COACH RYAN HAS DONE A FANTASTIC JOB AND IS A GREAT COACH AND BY ALL ACCOUNTS A GOOD MAN. That being said...

I'm surprised that so much of this is falling on Tomesello, and so little is falling on Coach Ryan. It's not Nathan Tomesello's job to fill the roster for Ohio State at 125.
It's Coach Ryan's job to fill Ohio State's roster with a competitive 125-pounder."

agree. Bucks have two wrestlers arriving--Mead and Hood. Put em in singlets and let them split the job.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

"I say this every time I have something critical to say about Coach Ryan, but I feel it needs repeated: I THINK COACH RYAN HAS DONE A FANTASTIC JOB AND IS A GREAT COACH AND BY ALL ACCOUNTS A GOOD MAN. That being said...

It's Coach Ryan's job to fill Ohio State's roster with a competitive 125-pounder."

Agree - but, when you recruit someone with NaTo's stature (body type), most assumed he'd be a lifer 125. At soph year when it would be apparent that wasn't the case, to land a 125 that could legit help in a NCAA run is tough -- and by all accounts they went hard, very hard after the few that could. They just didn't land them.

Brady...I totally agree with what you're saying, but do you agree that that's on Coach Ryan and not Tomesello? Do you agree that the conversation is far more focused on Tomesello dropping a weight and far less about Coach Ryan failing to land a competitive 125?

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

"Brady...I totally agree with what you're saying, but do you agree that that's on Coach Ryan and not Tomesello? Do you agree that the conversation is far more focused on Tomesello dropping a weight and far less about Coach Ryan failing to land a competitive 125?"

Could be a top recruit didn't want to go to tOSU because they believed Nate was a lifer 125 which I'm not saying is Nates fault but some kids don't want to sit for 2-3 years hence JRod transferring out.

For the record I think its up to Nate and to me its a win win if goes down or stays put.

Last edited by Jim Kessen on May 5, 2017; edited 1 time in total

I'm not disagreeing, but managing recruits' expectations is a huge part of Coach Ryan's job.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

"133 is Tomesello's best weight.
"

If 133 is his best weight, then why did he wrestle 126 at the US Open instead of 134?

That said, I think Nate should be able to wrestle whatever weight he wants."

Well for one, night before weigh ins with 24+ hours to recover is a lot different than hour before weigh ins.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Quote from Brandon Olinger's post:

"

"

"

If 133 is his best weight, then why did he wrestle 126 at the US Open instead of 134?

Well for one, night before weigh ins with 24+ hours to recover is a lot different than hour before weigh ins."

That doesn't make any sense to me, if 133 is my best weight, I wrestle 133. Why would I drop down a weight that I'm not as good at?

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

"

"

"

"

Well for one, night before weigh ins with 24+ hours to recover is a lot different than hour before weigh ins."

That doesn't make any sense to me, if 133 is my best weight, I wrestle 133. Why would I drop down a weight that I'm not as good at?"

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, for the sake of conversation I will assume you are being serious.

When you have day before weigh in with 24+ plus hours to recover you can cut a lot more weight because you don't have to step on the mat depleted. You have a long recovery period that allows you to hydrate and refuel slowly. By the time you do step on the mat someone like Tomasello will be closer to 140 than 125.

Weight cutting isn't regulated on the Sr. level like it is at the collegiate level. You can use things such as IV's to re-hydrate which make a world of difference.

How do you think guys like Kendrick Maple and Josh Kindig competed at 61kg at the Open? These guys wrestled 149 their senior collegiate seasons.

Kyle Klotz added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

"

"

"

"

"

That doesn't make any sense to me, if 133 is my best weight, I wrestle 133. Why would I drop down a weight that I'm not as good at?"

I'm not sure if you are being serious or not, for the sake of conversation I will assume you are being serious.

When you have day before weigh in with 24+ plus hours to recover you can cut a lot more weight because you don't have to step on the mat depleted. You have a long recovery period that allows you to hydrate and refuel slowly. By the time you do step on the mat someone like Tomasello will be closer to 140 than 125.

Weight cutting isn't regulated on the Sr. level like it is at the collegiate level. You can use things such as IV's to re-hydrate which make a world of difference.

How do you think guys like Kendrick Maple and Josh Kindig competed at 61kg at the Open? These guys wrestled 149 their senior collegiate seasons."

Not sure if you know, but weigh in rules on the sr. level have changed, no more day before weigh ins.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Quote from Kyle Klotz's post:

"

Not sure if you know, but weigh in rules on the sr. level have changed, no more day before weigh ins."

This is my main claim and evidence. I think it is in NT's best interest to acclimate.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

...and my biggest argument against that would be not needing to shrink body when you only do ot a couple times a year. It's a mist to shrink body if you do it on a weekly basis.

Michael -- the "is it on Coach Ryan or NaTo" -- I'm more in the 60/40 range. But this convo, on here, is way more pointed at NaTo than TR. My thinking is based upon my own experience. I was recruited to be a lifer at 118. I was 5'4 walking around at 125 when I was recruited. Grew 3" over the summer and now weighed 140 walking around. If I didn't make 118, my scolly would be gone. I obviously wasn't NaTo but if I couldn't make weight, then its on coach to get another in. With that said, NaTo didn't grow taller(at least not noticeably) he grew wider, lifting himself out of 125. In that way, he shares some culpability in no longer being able to make weight. You cam get stronger without getting that big. So much of the answer to tue question we are talking about, to me, lies in the conversations held between coach and athlete.

As much as I like this team, and even more so the next 5 years, it ultimately will make no difference in my life, no yours, whatever the decision. But it is fun to discuss. I think you have the "fan gene" - just for the sport not a team.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

"

"

"

"

"

"

Well, he'd be 140 if he wrestled 133 also. So you are saying he's willing to make the bigger cut to have more of an advantage? So it's not solely about wrestling at your best weight, winning does play a factor in what weight you wrestle, hmm......

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 5, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"....
As much as I like this team, and even more so the next 5 years, it ultimately will make no difference in my life, no yours, whatever the decision. But it is fun to discuss."

Enough with this crazy talk!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next