Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 Bucks
Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

I think Campbell would still be in the low all American tier with all that's returning at 165 next year. 141 is still going to be tough as well to break through. We need placement points at 125 and 157 to have a chance!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

125: I don't expect Nate to drop. Expect a healthier Rodriguez to man the spot for one more year. Recruits begin to arrive.

133: Nate will compete with Brock, Gross and Micic for the title. And, of course, PSU will develop someone (Nick Lee?) who will emerge by end of season. But Iowa will no longer have anyone to stand in his way. Pletcher shirts.

141: Ke-shawn Hayes shows promise but his weight class will be deep. Heil, Meredith, Jack, Eierman, Kolodzik, Ashnault, Thorn, Storr (off redshirt), McKenna, McCrystal all return. And I'm probably missing a couple more tough competitors.

149: Micah is not going to move up as this is his ideal weight. Mayes graduates but Retherford and Sorenson remain.

157: Burcher drops or Isaiah White transfers in and is able to make this weight. Jake Ryan seems too limited and it caught up with him. Or he was hurt...heard there might have been a back issue. Bucks need to make certain that whoever takes over this spot has a big off-season.

165: Campbell or Romero. Both are big. Romero is a fabulous prospect but he just isn't going to physically overwhelm opponents from the top position the way he was able to in high school. Campbell is solid but the Big Ten competition will show us who he really is. Bottom line is that Bucks will put best wrestler on the mat at this weight. Could Romero start the year in redshirt then have it pulled as he adjusts to this level? I think it's possible if Campbell is underwhelming. Romero reminds me a bit Zahid Valencia in terms of his physical talent/athleticism.

174: Not once did I watch Bo Jordan this season and feel he was anywhere close to sharp. I'd love to see how he looks after a good off-season and daily practice.

184: Myles Martin improved more as the season progressed than any Buckeye besides perhaps Kollin Moore. It's a deep weight but he'll be among the best at it. And he's the only guy in the country who can beat Bo Nickal.

197: Kollin Moore was near brilliant down the stretch and finished a strong 3rd in the nation. He starts next season as the number one ranked wrestler. He keeps a frenetic pace and oozes passion in how he competes. If he can continue to improve, how good can he be? Snyderish?

285: Bucks will rent Snyder for key matches and the NCAA's for one final season. He is the Alpha Male of D1 in spite of all the studs at PSU as his accomplishments dwarf those of all other competitors currently in college. My only question--who goes 285 when Kyle is competing abroad? Chase Singletary takes a much needed redshirt season.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"125: I don't expect Nate to drop. Expect a healthier Rodriguez to man the spot for one more year. Recruits begin to arrive.

133: Nate will compete with Brock, Gross and Micic for the title. And, of course, PSU will develop someone (Nick Lee?) who will emerge by end of season. But Iowa will no longer have anyone to stand in his way. Pletcher shirts.

141: Ke-shawn Hayes shows promise but his weight class will be deep. Heil, Meredith, Jack, Eierman, Kolodzik, Ashnault, Thorn, Storr (off redshirt), McKenna, McCrystal all return. And I'm probably missing a couple more tough competitors.

149: Micah is not going to move up as this is his ideal weight. Mayes graduates but Retherford and Sorenson remain.

157: Burcher drops or Isaiah White transfers in and is able to make this weight. Jake Ryan seems too limited and it caught up with him. Or he was hurt...heard there might have been a back issue. Bucks need to make certain that whoever takes over this spot has a big off-season.

165: Campbell or Romero. Both are big. Romero is a fabulous prospect but he just isn't going to physically overwhelm opponents from the top position the way he was able to in high school. Campbell is solid but the Big Ten competition will show us who he really is. Bottom line is that Bucks will put best wrestler on the mat at this weight. Could Romero start the year in redshirt then have it pulled as he adjusts to this level? I think it's possible if Campbell is underwhelming. Romero reminds me a bit Zahid Valencia in terms of his physical talent/athleticism.

174: Not once did I watch Bo Jordan this season and feel he was anywhere close to sharp. I'd love to see how he looks after a good off-season and daily practice.

184: Myles Martin improved more as the season progressed than any Buckeye besides perhaps Kollin Moore. It's a deep weight but he'll be among the best at it. And he's the only guy in the country who can beat Bo Nickal.

197: Kollin Moore was near brilliant down the stretch and finished a strong 3rd in the nation. He starts next season as the number one ranked wrestler. He keeps a frenetic pace and oozes passion in how he competes. If he can continue to improve, how good can he be? Snyderish?

285: Bucks will rent Snyder for key matches and the NCAA's for one final season. He is the Alpha Male of D1 in spite of all the studs at PSU as his accomplishments dwarf those of all other competitors currently in college. My only question--who goes 285 when Kyle is competing abroad? Chase Singletary takes a much needed redshirt season."

Hank,
I agree, I don't think we'll see Nate back down at 125 ever again. Although I've already seen plenty of speculation around the internet since Saturday night. It's not happening though. No way in hell.

But what about Pletcher? If he was a smallish 141 I don't think it's unprecedented to think it's impossible to see him as low as 125. Admittedly, the common sense answer is he shirts next season and returns the following year at 133/141. Meanwhile, I think a healthy JRod gives a legitimate shot at an AA. But I loved seeing Pletcher jump into the lineup this season and show tenacity from the get go.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

Chris: Anything's possible except Pletcher dropping to 125. His lower body is huge.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

What about Cleary at 157 he was a top 100 recruit and spent a year in the room.

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"What about Cleary at 157 he was a top 100 recruit and spent a year in the room."

Why not?

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

I agree with Hank about Cleary. The more competition the better for the team. Any info on how he did in open tourneys this year? The Bucks web page has about zero information on how non-starters are doing throughout the season in various open tournaments. For whatever it's worth, Nebraska wrestling has a lot of info on their wrestlers who aren't starters. I was looking up a kid from Indiana (Chad Red) who went there to see how he did in his first year. The team's web site listed all his matches along with scores. It was an impressive amount of detail. Wish the Bucks had something similar.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/osu/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/2016-17/stats/season_stats.pdf

If you scroll down a bit, it had the individual results for the wrestlers.

Approximately 26000 for 5 duals (including Wadsworth High School). That's an avg of 5200 per dual. Nice!

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

Thanks Nick. I missed that document. Cleary had a nice redshirt season. Lost a close match to White.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

125- JRod had a knee injury. How much did that effect his ability to cut weight?
141- If Pletcher had an entire year to bulk up and get stronger does anyone believe
he couldn't realistically AA?
149- *Same as 141 but insert Hayes instead of Pletcher
157- *Same as 141 but insert Micah instead of Pletcher

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 26, 2017

Lots of chatter on national boards about Tomasello possibly dropping back down to 125. We've been on that over here at the Dot Net since 3 minutes after NCAA finals!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 26, 2017

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"Lots of chatter on national boards about Tomasello possibly dropping back down to 125. We've been on that over here at the Dot Net since 3 minutes after NCAA finals!"

The national chatter is because of Liam Bateman's comments on this board. No one really knows anything. I do think the Buckeyes are aware that Nate to 125 makes a lot of sense if you want to really compete with PSU. It could be done in a similar fashion to Snyder with JRod manning the spot at times so that Nate doesn't have to constantly cut weight. Ultimately, Nate has to be on board. I have no insight.

Sean Koran added to this discussion on March 26, 2017

Has anything like this ever happened before (a #1 seed-type wrestler who bumped up a weight due to issues with the cut dropping back down the lower weight the following season despite being extremely successful at the higher weight)?

Jason Russell added to this discussion on March 26, 2017

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"Has anything like this ever happened before (a #1 seed-type wrestler who bumped up a weight due to issues with the cut dropping back down the lower weight the following season despite being extremely successful at the higher weight)?"

Chris Perry of Okie State is a good example. I think he had success at 184 lbs before moving down to 174 later in his career and winning 2 NCAA titles.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next