Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 Bucks
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 26, 2017

Quote from Sean Koran's post:

"Has anything like this ever happened before (a #1 seed-type wrestler who bumped up a weight due to issues with the cut dropping back down the lower weight the following season despite being extremely successful at the higher weight)?"

Staying with the Perry brothers:

Iowa's Mark Perry FR - 165 (2nd), SO - 174 (3rd) Tom Brands returns as HC and drops Perry back to 165 as a Junior, where he becomes a 2x National Champ.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on March 26, 2017

Nathan will be competing at 55 kg in freestyle after college, which means he will have to settle in at a comfortable weight to make the cut; that, coupled with our only chance to beat the team from the east, is to have him move to 125. Makes sense.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on March 26, 2017

*57kg

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Ok pundits, which lineup scores more points for us next year?

125-NaTo
133-JRod
141-Pletcher
149-Hayes
157-Micah
165-Campbell
174-BoJo
184-MyMar
197-Moore
285-Snyder

125-NaTo
133-Pletcher
141-Hayes
149-Micah
157-Ryan/Burcher
165-Campbell
174-BoJo
184-MyMar
197-Moore
285-Snyder

Create your own

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"Nathan will be competing at 55 kg in freestyle after college, which means he will have to settle in at a comfortable weight to make the cut; that, coupled with our only chance to beat the team from the east, is to have him move to 125. Makes sense."

I have heard the team wants him at 125 but I have heard he doesn't want to.

Big difference in having to make 125 every once in a while with international weigh in rules and having to make it an hour before a dual once a week.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"Nathan will be competing at 55 kg in freestyle after college, which means he will have to settle in at a comfortable weight to make the cut; that, coupled with our only chance to beat the team from the east, is to have him move to 125. Makes sense."

I have heard the team wants him at 125 but I have heard he doesn't want to.

Big difference in having to make 125 every once in a while with international weigh in rules and having to make it an hour before a dual once a week."

I believe his willingness is the biggest question. He made it very clear in a Columbus Dispatch article earlier this month that the cut to 125 last year took the joy out of the sport and out of life. That's not the type of senior year you want one of your leaders to have. One reason he may consider dropping back down is the new international rules for weigh ins (not sure if they are finalized). The last I heard, the weigh ins will be morning of and the wrestler will have to make weight multiple days in a row. If he competes at the lightest international weight, he may have to shrink his body. Even then, as indicated above, international competitions require you to make weight far less than the college season.

I also do not believe Pletcher should wrestle 141 next year. He wrestled very well this year for a true freshman. But, I personally believe he is a 133lb. He made it multiple times this year. After a redshirt year, he can man that weight class until he graduate or outgrows it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

I really hope all of this talk about Tomasello to 125 is just fan speculation after a runner-up finish. Two very important points that I feel are being ignored. #1, no one is beating Penn State next year. They have a lot of similarities to tOSU...except they're better. Why would you shuffle a great line-up just to lose by a little less?

This leads me to point #2. Why on earth would anyone ask a wrestler who has bled Scarlet and Grey for four years to cut somewhere he is ON RECORD as saying he doesn't want to do? Has he not met expectations? Is there a place where he hasn't lived up? He's your captain. He's a 3X AA, never finishing lower than third, undefeated the last TWO regular seasons. He's an NCAA champion. He's earned the right to make the decision not to cut eight pounds off his body so the team closes the gap on the front runner.

It just seems disrespectful, and short sighted. It will change zero regarding the final results of the team if he's forced to drop. He wants to finish his career with another title, he wants to do it at 133. This should be a non-issue.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Ben, I've been enjoying the pod casts. Any chance we can get some content around the Bucks? :)

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Think about the the class the Bucks lose next year.

Nato-3xAA 1st, 3rd, 3rd, TBD
Bo-3xAA 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, TBD
Snyder-3xAA 2nd, 1st, 1st, TBD

...all three captains too, right?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Mike: Your points are understood but there is no way the Bucks should concede to PSU. 5 champs this year involved a lot of luck. Only Retherford and Nolf were obvious. Hall and Joseph are far from locks to repeat. Same for Nickal.

Hank...I totally agree that what happened this year for Penn State is not likely to happen again, although I wouldn't call it "luck". I think they will likely have five champs again next season, maybe not the same five. The NCAA Tourney is fickle that way. But regardless, They are likely to be top three at 125, top eight at 197 and Nevils moves up a couple spots at heavyweight. The bonus points will still come. My point is, they're probably going to score more than this year.

I've preached high expectations for the Buckeyes for years. I get that. But forcing your 3X AA, NCAA champion and captain to move down a weight class his senior year just to theoretically earn a few more points at NCAAs (that will not make a difference in the standings) isn't high expectations. Being realistic and allowing senior to finish his career the way he wants isn't conceding...at least, I don't think it is.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Myles has beaten Bo twice, and he can do it again. I thought his win this year was more impressive, as he didn't have a big 6-point move to coast with. Bo knows it and Myles knows it! I also agree with Michael, Nate has earned the right to finish at 133, much like Keaton Anderson finished out at 157 after 3 years of suffering at 149. Same goes for Heflin.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"Ben, I've been enjoying the pod casts. Any chance we can get some content around the Bucks? :)"

Absolutely. We will certainly be diving into some off-season Buckeye season talk. Hopefully we can land a coach to come on and do a Q&A as well. Still working on that piece.

Thanks for listening.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 27, 2017

Mike: Just to be clear...PSU are heavy favorites heading into next year. And Nate can and will wrestle at the weight that makes the most sense for him. But if the Bucks want to win it, this is probably your best lineup:

125: Nate (with J-Rod)
133: Pletch
141: Hayes
149: Micah
157: Ryan, Burcher or a transfer/frosh
165: Campbell or Romero
174: Bo
184: Myles
197: KM
285: Snyderman

This lineup gives you 6 wrestlers with finalist potential and 3 more who can place. Astonishing to think this lineup is not favored to win it but right now it's second best.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next