Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 Bucks
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 8, 2017

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"http://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/weight-changes-planning-future-lineups/62742

According to the article Nate is staying at 133 and Pletcher will RS."

Who am I to question Coach Ryan but this sort of bums me out. Looks like our chances of catching Penn State just got a lot slimmer.

Here's a question regarding this past year and 285; why didn't we see Tav?"

Tav had a knee injury.

Way too soon for anyone to get bummed out. No one can predict the future. If Bucks have 7 AA's and a few national champs, I'll be pretty pleased no matter where they finish.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 8, 2017

And the best part??? We'll be eating Mister Brisket while watching the NCAA tournament IN CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Hall added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

Teshan Campbell is already at the OhioRTC. Take a look at him dead lifting 495 lbs.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT2X8ryh2-A/?hl=en

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"http://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/weight-changes-planning-future-lineups/62742

According to the article Nate is staying at 133 and Pletcher will RS."

Who am I to question Coach Ryan but this sort of bums me out. Looks like our chances of catching Penn State just got a lot slimmer.

Here's a question regarding this past year and 285; why didn't we see Tav?"

Tav had a knee injury.

Way too soon for anyone to get bummed out. No one can predict the future. If Bucks have 7 AA's and a few national champs, I'll be pretty pleased no matter where they finish."

Thanks for the update. I was unaware he was injured but it makes sense.

I am not buying the idea that NaTo will go 133 next year but will wrestle a handful of freestyle matches at 125.5.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"NATO does not have to wrestle a whole season to wrestle 125 for us next year. Everyone keeps talking about a four month grind. It is obvious by his performance at the U.S. Open that he's going to be very successful on the freestyle level and may want to start competing overseas immediately. He can do the same thing Snyder does; we suit him up for Las Vegas, two dual meets and big tens..."

"...I think the idea was for Nate to wrestle less matches--period. Just like Snyder. Pletcher could go 133 for most of the season and NCAAs while Nate and Snyder transition to full time freestyle..."

What Kyle Snyder has done the last two years is unique, in the pure sense of the word. You're talking about a senior level wrestler who is the best in the world and happens to also be in college. You're comparing him to a great college wrestler who may or may not have a successful international career (he may have no international career at all). I don't see why people think Tomesello is going to wrestle a schedule like Snyder. I think he's going to do the same thing he did last year...he's going to wrestle 133 for Ohio State.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

What Kyle Snyder has done the last two years is unique, in the pure sense of the word. You're talking about a senior level wrestler who is the best in the world and happens to also be in college. You're comparing him to a great college wrestler who may or may not have a successful international career (he may have no international career at all). I don't see why people think Tomesello is going to wrestle a schedule like Snyder. I think he's going to do the same thing he did last year...he's going to wrestle 133 for Ohio State."

Agreed. Snyder is unique. It is unlikely that this becomes a precedent, especially from a scholarship / ROI standpoint.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

Mike and Brian: What Snyder has done is unique but it will become a precedent. Given the talent level of top incoming frosh, we're going to see someone like a Spencer Lee do the same thing when they have big summer success.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"
Agreed. Snyder is unique. It is unlikely that this becomes a precedent, especially from a scholarship / ROI standpoint."

I wonder. tOSU has to do something to attract the blue chippers. The new generation of blue chip recruits already have success internationally and are looking to be like J'Den, Kyle and Logan. They want world medals in college or immediately after. Getting experience at the Senior Level early, during college, is proving to be effective. Not everyone is gonna be a World or Olympic champ but these recruits want to try. Or at least that could be a recruiting pitch. Would Fix,Hall,Lee,Diakomihalis come to tOSU if they were offered a deal like this? Wrestle part time for the Buckeyes and part time internationally with Ohio RTC. I think very few could do it, but the elite, like the names I listed above probably could and we missed out on all of them. Don't know how I would feel about this situation. I love it with Kyle but what is the minimum I would accept and be happy with? Is making the Sr. National team enough to excuse such a sacrifice to the regular season team, probably not. World silver or Bronze? OK.
Any other opinions?

"Mike and Brian: What Snyder has done is unique but it will become a precedent. Given the talent level of top incoming frosh, we're going to see someone like a Spencer Lee do the same thing when they have big summer success."

I know kids are getting better and better at a younger age, but even given that fact, what Snyder has done stands out as historic. I remember thinking the same thing about Logan Stieber as you're saying about Lee, it just didn't happen because the jump between NCAA and World level is HUGE.
As far as Spencer Lee is concerned (and I'm a fan), Juniors at that weight is a different animal than Seniors. As great as Lee is, he's no Kyle Snyder...and I know this might seem like blaspheme, but Tomesello is no Spencer Lee.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

You're right one at least one point, Michael - BLASHPEMY!!!!!

I'm going to try to be more of a wrestling spectator than a FANatical. There is much beauty (as it pertains to this sport) all around. Focusing on being a fan of one team limits my ability to witness greatness, triumphs, and the valleys this sport can provide. So, I'm a spectator. And a supporter of the Buckeyes. Go Buckeyes!

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on May 9, 2017

" but Tomesello is no Spencer Lee."

Is this the Spencer Lee that just got 5th at the Junior Nationals. - And who won that class, I believe it was Luke Pletcher.

Sounds like OSU might have 2 guys at 133 better than Spencer Lee?

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"

" but Tomesello is no Spencer Lee."

Is this the Spencer Lee that just got 5th at the Junior Nationals. - And who won that class, I believe it was Luke Pletcher.

Sounds like OSU might have 2 guys at 133 better than Spencer Lee?"

No, that's Nick Lee (incoming freshman for Penn State) you're thinking of.

Eric Curitore added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Not sure if this has been posted yet - though saw this over on themat.com.

Straight from the horses mouth...

https://soundcloud.com/steelwood-radio/episode-2-ft-nathan-tomasello

125/133 talk starts at 41:10.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Quote from Eric Curitore's post:

"Not sure if this has been posted yet - though saw this over on themat.com.

125/133 talk starts at 41:10."

Yeah, but what does he know about the situation? Are you really going to trust the very person that'll be making the cut??? Come on, bro.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Quote from Eric Curitore's post:

"Not sure if this has been posted yet - though saw this over on themat.com.

125/133 talk starts at 41:10."

Good deal!

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next