Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 Bucks
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

I didn't listen to it. Does he say he's going 125?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I didn't listen to it. Does he say he's going 125?"

Depending on what they do with the freestyle weight classes , yes.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Well, I wish him the best.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"

Quote from Eric Curitore's post:

"Not sure if this has been posted yet - though saw this over on themat.com.

Straight from the horses mouth...

https://soundcloud.com/steelwood-radio/episode-2-ft-nathan-tomasello

125/133 talk starts at 41:10."

Yeah, but what does he know about the situation? Are you really going to trust the very person that'll be making the cut??? Come on, bro."

Exactly! This is an outrage! It's up to us forum peeps (is that still used?) to decide what weight he goes.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I didn't listen to it. Does he say he's going 125?"

Depending on what they do with the freestyle weight classes , yes."

And it appears to be mostly his own call, based on the future of his FS career. It'll be interesting to see where the weight classes fall as it seems to dictate his future weight.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on May 11, 2017

It seems like the right choice for his long term FS career. With current weight classes it makes sense for Nate to go 57kg(125.7lbs). He is not a 61kg(134.5lbs) guy at the international level, but if weight classes change to 55kg(121.3lbs) and 60kg(132.3lbs), 55kg would be too big of a cut and he'd have to go 60kg.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 11, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"
Agreed. Snyder is unique. It is unlikely that this becomes a precedent, especially from a scholarship / ROI standpoint."

I wonder. tOSU has to do something to attract the blue chippers. The new generation of blue chip recruits already have success internationally and are looking to be like J'Den, Kyle and Logan. They want world medals in college or immediately after. Getting experience at the Senior Level early, during college, is proving to be effective. Not everyone is gonna be a World or Olympic champ but these recruits want to try. Or at least that could be a recruiting pitch. Would Fix,Hall,Lee,Diakomihalis come to tOSU if they were offered a deal like this? Wrestle part time for the Buckeyes and part time internationally with Ohio RTC. I think very few could do it, but the elite, like the names I listed above probably could and we missed out on all of them. Don't know how I would feel about this situation. I love it with Kyle but what is the minimum I would accept and be happy with? Is making the Sr. National team enough to excuse such a sacrifice to the regular season team, probably not. World silver or Bronze? OK.
Any other opinions?"

Matt: Just read your post closely and you make excellent points. One other perspective would have to do with Gene Smith. How would an AD feel about scholarship recruits not competing on a regular basis for Buckeye teams during the season? Would the AD see it as a fair price to pay for having future Buckeye Olympic medalists. Or would he feel it's too much to pay for athletes who are only part time in terms of collegiate competition?

One other point--the current rule changes to freestyle are so absurd that it makes me sick to think about it. Wait until Logan or some other American is up by 1 late in a match and gets hit with a 2 pt caution and loses. We all know its coming.

John Drumm added to this discussion on May 12, 2017

The extremely positive public relations and marketing aspect for a university of having an Olympian (or even a POTENTIAL world beater medalist type athlete) in your program would significantly outweigh not having the athlete compete on a regular basis during the season. These are the athletes on the posters, banners and university websites. Correct?
With the new blue chippers, its safe to say there is still some risk and forecasting analysis by the coaches based on their expertise. An accomplished athlete's attendance at the university attracts other student-athletes who are paying customers.
So it is fine for your stud athlete on an athletic scholarship to not compete regularly. On a micro scale, I would pay $30,000 per year to get $120,000 per year in return. I would also let the Coaches use their discretion.(Just my thoughts if I was an AD)

Jared Ball added to this discussion on May 17, 2017

It appears there is more to the Rodriguez story than just weight cutting issues:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-wrestling/2017/05/82340/wrestling-anthony-agazarm-charged-in-off-campus-assault

Matt Mace added to this discussion on August 10, 2017

The Steelwood guys said they would reveal the schedule on their podcast when it was ready but schedules are starting to come out for other teams now and we can piece together a few duals before the official release.
It looks like Tom Ryan will continue to honor his starters when possible by scheduling a home dual at their hometown. This year Bo and Micah will be get to wrestle in front of their hometown crowd against Purdue. Date to be determined still. This can't hurt recruiting either! Hopefully we can get a commitment out of young brother, Rocky.

Jan 5 @ Maryland
Jan 7 @ Rutgers, will we see Suriano v Nato?
Jan 19 Iowa, Spencer Lee v Nato? Kemerer v Mic? Sorenson v McKenna?

Nebraska's schedule is out and Bucks are not on it. It also maybe of interest that we are not on Oklahoma's schedule either. I'm not sure how the Big10 does scheduling for wrestling but I assume we'll be at Penn St. We didn't dual Michigan last year and the year before was in Ann Arbor, so we should be hosting them this year, for a great dual.
What out of conference teams would you like to see on the schedule? Oklahoma St? Iowa St? NC State?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 10, 2017

Pretty sure Suriano will have to sit this year out then only wrestle for two seasons if he attends Rutgers. That's how it went when Metcalf left Virginia Tech.

I'd like to see the Bucks, Ohio U, CSU and Kent in a quad. These programs need the boost as it could help with recruiting.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on August 10, 2017

Hank,
Metcalf had to sit a year because he was not granted a release by VaTech. SO many conversations have made the transfer issue confusing. If a release isn't given the student must sit a year. If a release is given the student may wrestle immediately. However, the Big 10 has a rule regarding athletes on scholarship. They must sit a year regardless when transferring within conference. Suriano can wrestle for a non Big 10 school immediately.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 10, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"I'd like to see the Bucks, Ohio U, CSU and Kent in a quad. These programs need the boost as it could help with recruiting."

Kent hosted a tri with CSU and tOSU last year. I wasn't able to attend, but I heard it was a good event. Hopefully they can find a date that works for OU as well.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 11, 2017

Quote from Jamie Teel's post:

"Hank,
Metcalf had to sit a year because he was not granted a release by VaTech. SO many conversations have made the transfer issue confusing. If a release isn't given the student must sit a year. If a release is given the student may wrestle immediately. However, the Big 10 has a rule regarding athletes on scholarship. They must sit a year regardless when transferring within conference. Suriano can wrestle for a non Big 10 school immediately."

So I was wrong but I was right?

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13