Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Did Tom Brands Eff Up?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

There are four teams with a shot to win NCAA's--PSU, tOSU, OSU and Iowa. These teams all have several wrestlers with finalist potential.

Let's look at Iowa: Gilman (likely champ), Clark (could be a finalist), Sorenson (could be a finalist), Brooks (could be a finalist), Kemmerer (could be a finalist) and Meyer (placement potential). Rest of lineup--285, 197, 165 and 141 are on the outside looking in.

Now I don't think that all of Iowa's potential finalists will make it to the championship but there's no denying that this team has five really good wrestlers. So why is Alex Marinelli in redshirt? If your team---laden with seniors--has a shot to win it, wouldn't you put your best lineup on the mat?

Example: Cael yanked Mark Hall's redshirt because he was confident that he could AA or even win it.

Brands made a huge mistake in my opinion in not putting Marinelli on the mat. While he wasn't going to win it, he certainly displayed the ability to place and earn points. Instead, Iowa heads into NCAA's with five really good wrestlers and Meyer with an outside shot to score. Then there's nothing else.

Thoughts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

I feel like when their heavyweight went down for the season, Iowa's chances went with him. Iowa fans will be happy to have Marinelli four years from now.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I feel like when their heavyweight went down for the season, Iowa's chances went with him. Iowa fans will be happy to have Marinelli four years from now."

Yes! But, they're not gonna be too happy with a fourth place team finish this year!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Hank: on the T-Row & Funky Show, Ben Anskren (Funky) called Brands not pulling the red-shirt a "fireable offense". Pretty intense.

Of the guys you listed, how many are seniors??

Pat...I totally agree Iowa fans are going to be pissed with fourth, but I think that finish was inevitable. Iowa fans are jack-holes, but they're knowledgeable. They know the paradigm has shifted with what's happened at Penn State and tOSU. Best case scenario is they are one of the teams in the hunt every year. Spencer Lee is on the way.

Also, when you look at next season (and I'm not saying the Buckeyes can't win it this year), Penn State loses 141 and 149. I can't imagine they'll replace them with better wrestlers than Hayes/Pletcher/Jordan. That flips two bouts that went in their favor in the dual. That's like a 15 point swing in next year's dual. Ohio State will likely be pre-season #1.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Wait 'til next year!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

With Marinelli I think you ask - can he win it? I watched him at Midlands, I think it was the right move.

Next year Imar and Jordan vacate, the weight is Massa, Joseph and everyone else.

Accurate self assessment is a tough thing, I think Brands showed good discretion with the move.

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Also, when you look at next season (and I'm not saying the Buckeyes can't win it this year), Penn State loses 141 and 149. I can't imagine they'll replace them with better wrestlers than Hayes/Pletcher/Jordan. That flips two bouts that went in their favor in the dual. That's like a 15 point swing in next year's dual. Ohio State will likely be pre-season #1."

I believe Penn St 149 will be back as a two time NCAA champ.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 7, 2017

I think Brands made the right move, especially since Stoll got hurt. They have a nice class coming in next year.

Quote from William Danforth's post:

"
I believe Penn St 149 will be back as a two time NCAA champ."

Good call on Retherford being a junior. My bad. So now it's a only a six point swing.

► Add to the Discussion