Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Spencer Lee just got beat.
J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 11, 2017

In the finals, by undefeated DeSanto.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 11, 2017

I saw that video. That arena was going nuts when that went down. The best part was that the kid got two to tie it, gave him one, and then took him down again as time expired...nails!!! To be fair I also heard that Spencer was on one leg. 144-1, lose your final high school match in the state finals. Very Gable-esk

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I saw that video. That arena was going nuts when that went down. The best part was that the kid got two to tie it, gave him one, and then took him down again as time expired...nails!!! To be fair I also heard that Spencer was on one leg. 144-1, lose your final high school match in the state finals. Very Gable-esk"

I hadn't heard that, but his leg was bandaged top to bottom and he just couldn't defend it. Still a great match - give credit to the winner. He's rated 4th in the nation and would be undefeated the last two years had he not lost to Lee in the finals last year...by tech fall.

edit - just read that Lee tore his ACL a month ago and hasn't been able to do anything other than ride a bike. Will have surgery soon. No Dapper Dan.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

Wow. Lee tried to win a state title on one leg.

Lee is an amazing talent but has now tore up his shoulder and knee prior to college. That's a lot of wear and tear. It's beginning to seem reminiscent of Kyle Ott...another amazing light weight who constantly battled injury.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/53213-1-spencer-lee-falls-in-pennsylvania-state-finals-to-austin-desanto#.WMW4ojz3bYV

https://m.facebook.com/pcntv

"I'm excited but at the same time I wrestled a hurt Spencer Lee," DeSanto said. "You could see his knee, he was favoring it the whole time. I just kind of feel bad for him. But at the same time, I'm excited for myself. I worked every day after that tech fall to beat him and I got my dream, I guess."

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" Lee is an amazing talent but has now tore up his shoulder and knee prior to college. That's a lot of wear and tear. It's beginning to seem reminiscent of Kyle Ott...another amazing light weight who constantly battled injury."

his dad says torn ACL for a couple months now --Lee was out for a time with torn labrum, 1 or 2 years ago, hes done alot of wrestling, 3X world champ !! maybe worn down a bit. Another Dave Kjeldgaard, the Iowa schoolboy legend dominated in Fargo, but brittle in college at U of Oklahoma???

Ott problem wasnt his body really, it was one badly done knee surgery following his junior year, then subsequent surgeries on same knee to fix what first one botched, as i understood the situation.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/sports/local/kjeldgaard-s-success-continues-off-the-mat/article_577a899a-75b0-51f5-afa7-5bb24e50a064.html

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

He chose not to become a Buckeye. Am I alone in not caring less if he wins or loses this match? I'm not being spiteful. Just doesn't matter to me.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

Wow...I say it all the time, I just don't understand fans.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

Why do you say that, Michael? I'm not wishing the kid any sort of ill will or anything like that. And based on his pedigree there will come a day when I'll be supporting him on the world scene as he represents our country. But we live in Ohio and I root for the hometown team. That's not some sort of travesty.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

All wrestling fans, including Buckeyes, succeed when the elite get to compete. His record shows him to be one of the greatest high school wrestlers ever. The sport does better with him competing at his best. He has had similar success to Kyle prior to the World Championship in 2015, maybe better.

It makes it more special to beat Iowa when we face their best, not the replacements. I'm ecstatic the Buckeyes won Big 10s but it would have felt a touch better if Suriano was healthy.

In the end, injuries are part of the sport.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 12, 2017

Lee may be the greatest wrestler in high school history when you examine what he has done in both folk and free. It took a broken knee--not to mention a heroic effort from Desanto--to keep him from a 4th title.

Incidentally, this match is easily one of the best I've ever seen. Even on one leg, Lee makes the sport look easy. Desanto to his credit wrestles the match of his life and has the correct strategy. Ultimately it pays off. What a match.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 13, 2017

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Ott problem wasnt his body really, it was one badly done knee surgery following his junior year, then subsequent surgeries on same knee to fix what first one botched, as i understood the situation."

Bob, you are correct and even after all those problems which reduced his speed, he was still one of the quickest lightweights in NCAA history and a 2x NCAA runner-up. Imagine if that injury or botched surgery, never had happened. KO would have been awe-inspiring special.

► Add to the Discussion