Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Bracket Thoughts
Jason L. Jackson added to this discussion on March 15, 2017

My bracket thoughts:

125 – Man, at the beginning of the season I thought Jose might be an AA and looked like a R12 guy no problem. Now I’m debating whether he’s 1-2 or 0-2. Unfortunately, I think the knee is injured and I don’t think he’s the same wrestler we saw earlier in the season.

0-2, 0 points

133 – NaTo didn’t get any favors from the committee, Richards in the quarters and Micic or Clark in the semis. Yuck. However, I think he’s on a mission and I think the lackluster (for him) B1G tourney was the best thing for him. He is now an underdog, despite being the #1 seed. I think he techs Myers (2.5 points), techs Devoy (2.5), only decisions Richards this time (1), decisions Micic again (1) and then gets past Brock in the finals.

Champ, 23 points

141 – Pletcher also got a less than favorable draw as I see him easily beating Profaci (1 point – a major is not out of the question), but then falling to Ashnault. He’s looking at Martin/Carton/DiCamillo in his first consi match. None of those are easy matches. I think Pletcher gets by that match (.5) and then sees Gasca. Was Gasca a flash in the pan at B1Gs or an underachiever all year. I think Gasca is quick, but Pletcher is strong, and he sneaks another win (.5 points). He’s now in the R12 where he sees Ward or Meredith. I so, so, so want to pick him to knock off Meredith to avenge Micah’s loss last year, but I just can’t. The ride ends in the R12.

3-2, 2 points

149 – Would have LOVED to have seen Micah on the bottom of the bracket, but nothing to be done about it now. I think Micah majors Heilmann (2 points) and Bannister (2 points). Then comes round 3 with Sorenson. I still don’t think Sorenson can get to Micah’s legs, and as long as Micah pushes the pace, he wins (1) and faces Retherford. In the consis I think he sees Thomsen and he gets by him (.5 points) to get to the third place match. There he sees Mayes and proves that he should have been the third seed all along.

Third place, 15.5 points

157 – Nothing

165 – Another debate of 0-2 versus 1-2. Cody has 2 close matches against Valencia, but I just can’t predict him to pull it off. After losing to Valencia I have him facing Mejias. Mejias hasn’t wrestled much this year, and has some nice wins (Cottrell, Steitert, Zilverberg). I think Cody wins this one on the strength of a great ride (.5 points) and then faces Cottrell. I can’t take him, but, if he can beat Mejias then you never know.

1-2, .5 points

174 – BoJo comes in the third seed after knocking off Hall in the B1G tourney. I see BoJo pinning Johnson (3 points) and then majoring Weatherspoon (2 points). He should see Preisch in the quarters, and I think he pulls out a close victory (1 point). A rematch with Realbuto looms, and I think Bo pushes the pace a little harder this time and gets to the final (1 point) against Zahid. In the finals, Bo can open up knowing that there isn’t another match to save his foot for and wins 7-4.

Champ, 23 points

184 – Myles “March” Martin is in the same eight bracket as last year, just as the 6 instead of the 11. I think Martin pins Hoffman (3 points) and majors Parker (2 points). In the quarters he’ll face his nemesis, Sammy Brooks. Third time’s a charm, and Myles gets a late TD to seal a tight victory (1). In the semis, I see Nickal pulling one out against Myles. Myles drops to the consis where he likely faces Boyd or Dechow. I think he gets a win over either (.5) and then loses to Brooks this time to take 4th.

4th place, 15.5 points

197 – Moore starts with a tough match against McDonald, who was a prep stud. I think Moore’s pace breaks the match open in the third and he gets a major there (2 points) and a major against Greigo (2 points). I think he sees Scott in the quarters (upset over Weigel) and another major ensues (2). In the semis, I think he’s figured out Pfarr and he makes the finals (1). Cox is too much for him and he has to “settle” for a runner-up finish.

2nd place, 19 points

285 – Not sure what to expect out of this Snyder guy. I think he’s giving up too much weight to be successful here. 0-2. Just kidding. A pin over Gunning (3 points), tech over Ryan (2.5), major over Kroells (2) and tech over Kasper (2.5) puts him in the finals. There he gets another comfortable decision over Medbery.

Champ, 26 points

Total – 23+2+15.5+.5+23+15.5+19+26=124.5

If the Buckeyes score 120+ then they win the tournament. I cannot see anyone beating them if they get that many points. I think they likely score closer to 105, but I can’t predict who falters. Can’t wait for tomorrow!

#GoBucks

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on March 15, 2017

Nice job Jason. Sure would like to see things work out like that!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 16, 2017

I think that's a best case scenario, but certainly possible. Coach Ryan's teams seem to peak at the right time. They rarely underachieve. Come to think of it, during his tenure at Ohio State, has the team every "underachieved" come tourney time? Individuals may not perform to seed from time to time, but the unit as a whole meets or exceeds expectation year in and year out. Maybe your call is more realistic than I'm thinking?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 16, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I think that's a best case scenario, but certainly possible. Coach Ryan's teams seem to peak at the right time. They rarely underachieve. Come to think of it, during his tenure at Ohio State, has the team every "underachieved" come tourney time? Individuals may not perform to seed from time to time, but the unit as a whole meets or exceeds expectation year in and year out. Maybe your call is more realistic than I'm thinking?"

Agree that it's a best case scenario. Tom Ryan said himself that he knew the team needed six finalists to win BT's and that winning a few tight matches made the difference. I can't help but wonder if the Bucks used up their allotment of magic dust at Big Tens. Can they win NCAA's? Absolutely. But it's going to take another near perfect performance. That's a lot to ask.

Wouldn't shock me at all if all the major players at NCAA's suffered some unexpected losses and the ultimate winner comes down to who gets the most unexpected help.

Jeff Reid added to this discussion on March 16, 2017

Curious about NATO, was his sick at Big 10s? Rowlands mentioned something to the effect that NATO has some close matches and that he knew why, but did not elaborate.

► Add to the Discussion