Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA thread
Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on March 17, 2017

Gotta admit, Nickal vs Dean is gonna be fun to watch.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 17, 2017

Myles advances with a solid win. Great double leg with about 45 seconds left.

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 17, 2017

Wow, three way tie for second, heading into 285.
Go Bucks!!!

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 17, 2017

Glad to see Snyder able to dominate...even w/ irritated ribs.
Myles has Brooks tomorrow morning, right? Would be a great time to break through against him. Myles has hit his stride while Brooks just got pinned by Bo AGAIN. We'll see.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 17, 2017

Nato, Micah & Moore all have winnable matches tomorrow morning. Nate's loss the most bitter,thought he was in on those shots and would score. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

I know things could have gone a little better for the Buckeyes, but only a little. They're wrestling very well and dropped a couple matches the "shouldn't" have, but they won a lot too. What Pletcher did was fantastic. What a year for the tru-frosh. He's got a bright future. How about Micah Jordan breaking through to reach AA status? That's kind of a big deal. He, Tomesello and Moore should all go for third (two out of three winning that final bout), Martin for 5th. You've got two in the finals, one a heavy favorite and one in a "pick 'em" match. Six AAs, all returning. Anyway, I just think Buckeye fans have a lot to be proud of and a lot to look forward to.

No one was beating Penn State this weekend. They are the closest thing we're going to see to Iowa of the 80s...and that's with a sure fire finalist on the IR.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I know things could have gone a little better for the Buckeyes, but only a little. They're wrestling very well and dropped a couple matches the "shouldn't" have, but they won a lot too. What Pletcher did was fantastic. What a year for the tru-frosh. He's got a bright future. How about Micah Jordan breaking through to reach AA status? That's kind of a big deal. He, Tomesello and Moore should all go for third (two out of three winning that final bout), Martin for 5th. You've got two in the finals, one a heavy favorite and one in a "pick 'em" match. Six AAs, all returning. Anyway, I just think Buckeye fans have a lot to be proud of and a lot to look forward to.

No one was beating Penn State this weekend. They are the closest thing we're going to see to Iowa of the 80s...and that's with a sure fire finalist on the IR."

1st paragraph agree with 100% -- and we lose nobody.

2nd paragraph. ..and neither does PSU, they are even younger. Scary.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

I thought Nate controlled his entire semis match. I've never been a fan of the merkle position being considered a control position for a takedown. To me its a leach move. You're clinging and nothing more. Clark did not initiate a single offensive move in that match. He scored twice when Nate was in on near takedown positions. You should have to break a guy down to a hip or expose him to earn the two. Kinda like freestyle where you have to break the man down from the tripod. Clark is a gritty opponent, and you have to admire that.

I also thought Moore was and is clearly the better wrestler. A few mental errors during the match were all that stood between him and being a finalist. The sad fact is that even on our best day we still don't beat PSU. The gap has widened. let's hope Bo gets his just due!!

NaTo allowed Clark to get that position by changing his hold of the leg. You see he switches his hand and that allowed Clark to move his leg.

Kollin's leg defense broke down -- especially on the one where he was completely out of bounds. It appeared as if he literally just took his arm out and gave up the td.

With that said, NaTo was the clear aggressor but that doesn't really matter. Moore and Pfarr I thought were very similar. Kolln's season has been and is quite amazingly impressive.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"I thought Nate controlled his entire semis match. I've never been a fan of the merkle position being considered a control position for a takedown. To me its a leach move. You're clinging and nothing more. Clark did not initiate a single offensive move in that match. He scored twice when Nate was in on near takedown positions. You should have to break a guy down to a hip or expose him to earn the two. Kinda like freestyle where you have to break the man down from the tripod. Clark is a gritty opponent, and you have to admire that.

I also thought Moore was and is clearly the better wrestler. A few mental errors during the match were all that stood between him and being a finalist. The sad fact is that even on our best day we still don't beat PSU. The gap has widened. let's hope Bo gets his just due!!"

Jared: Glad you said it. The idea that a "merkle" position is control makes no sense. You can't do anything from that position without giving up your so called control...which means you have none. Having said that, it's obvious Clark was prepped for that situation. Good strategy on his part. I feel awful for Nate. Second year in a row he loses for first time in NCAA semis to Iowa. That's got to hurt really bad.

Agree that Moore could have won but it's so hard to fault him because his effort is tremendous. Hopefully, he finishes strong.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

For us, control is not awarded until the "offensive" man stretches out or drives the opponent in a way that shows us that he is controlling him.
I can guarantee you that as soon as a coach sees that position, he will start yelling "merkle, merkle' over and over thinking that the position defines control or offense.
Not so and especially on their feet.
As I watched that last night, all I could say was that the official had a better view that I did on TV but that it wasn't what I expected to see.

BTW, it looked like there must be an NCAA rule that allowed Imar to put his hands anywhere he wanted in the top position. He was only "caught" once and that was when he had his right hand under his opponents right shoulder. Not even close.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"NaTo allowed Clark to get that position by changing his hold of the leg. You see he switches his hand and that allowed Clark to move his leg.

Kollin's leg defense broke down -- especially on the one where he was completely out of bounds. It appeared as if he literally just took his arm out and gave up the td.

With that said, NaTo was the clear aggressor but that doesn't really matter. Moore and Pfarr I thought were very similar. Kolln's season has been and is quite amazingly impressive."

As good as Moore wrestled, it did bother me that he gave up that TD at the edge when he should have dragged Pfarr out of bounds. The good thing for Moore and Martin is that 184 & 197 lose a lot of top guys next year. That will leave them both in great position in their respective weight classes. Still, I was looking forward to a Cox rematch.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Quote from Jim Behrens's post:

"For us, control is not awarded until the "offensive" man stretches out or drives the opponent in a way that shows us that he is controlling him.
I can guarantee you that as soon as a coach sees that position, he will start yelling "merkle, merkle' over and over thinking that the position defines control or offense.
Not so and especially on their feet.
As I watched that last night, all I could say was that the official had a better view that I did on TV but that it wasn't what I expected to see.

BTW, it looked like there must be an NCAA rule that allowed Imar to put his hands anywhere he wanted in the top position. He was only "caught" once and that was when he had his right hand under his opponents right shoulder. Not even close."

That match with Isaac was really good - I thought sure Jordan would get out in the 3rd, but Imar rode him like a mule. He may be the most complete wrestler in the NCAA's.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Is it just me or doesn't anyone else look at Moore and see Gabe Dean? I know they have different body styles, but if you look at their gritty style and their complete lack of fear or intimidation in the face of far more accomplished wrestlers, and the upper classmen graduating this year. I could see him going on a three year run similar to Dean's.

The fact that he has another year with Snyder doesn't hurt either...Martin in the room, Singletary on the way. The future is looking bright for Mr.Moore.

Michael -- completely agree. Kollin is having an incredible freshman year. I can see him having a Gabe Dean-esque career. Imagine when his defense matches his offense. Yikes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next