Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: A Few Random Thoughts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Bucks have six AA's who will all finish top 6. Two are finalists. Like M-Rod said, that's an amazing feat and unprecedented in Ohio State history. PSU was simply out of their minds this weekend. tOSU has been merely excellent.

How to properly thank Brian Realbuto for proving that even Ivy League students can be boneheads? And, better yet, Bo was my contest pick at 174. I'm still astonished that Realbuto tried that move. Also grateful that Bo knew it was coming and reacted to it. As Mark Niemann said elsewhere, it was a "rookie mistake" by a wrestler who should have known better.

Agree with Jared Ball's comment in other thread about the Merkle position being considered a TD. You can't do anything when your in it. I just don't feel it's control. Admittedly I'm bitter although I have the utmost respect for Clark. He's doing an astonishing job.

Did Gilman choke? Or did Cruz wrestle a brilliant match? Seemed to be a bit of both.

The semis were astonishing. Not only a lot of upsets but tremendous action. Not too long ago, D1 matches were all about managing your way through seven minutes. We're wrestling again due to some good rules changes. Now, let's eliminate the riding time point unless backs are scored. If one guy's sole strategy is to cover hips, we need to call it stalling because that's precisely what it is.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

" Now, let's eliminate the riding time point unless backs are scored. If one guy's sole strategy is to cover hips, we need to call it stalling because that's precisely what it is."

GREAT idea!!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

I totally enjoyed Kyle Snyder's match and his reply in the post match interview, "if he punched me in the mouth I didn't feel it". Note to Kasper: there is a reason why he is the World & Olympic Champ. He is really, really good!! But I guess you know that now.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

What a great event. I feel sorry for all of the basketball fans that don't know what they're missing.

I'm reminded again how hard it is to be an All-American. The matches for 7th place will all be wrestled by some really great wrestlers.

Ohio has 10 All-Americans but only 4 are wrestling in state. Ohio schools have to do a better job keeping the talent at home. OSU should have every blue chipper coming out and we need a Lehigh or Cornell type program to get the excellent 2nd tier guys in state. There is a tremendous amount of coaching talent that is homegrown that has made this happen, it just needs to be at the college level. CSU, OU, and KSU need to raise their game.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

The one thing I noticed throughout the evening that I thought out of hand was the constant head-slapping. I saw the ref warn both Gilman and Clark (it wasn't limited to Iowa wrestlers), but both did it repeatedly after being warned.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Quote from J.P. Barner's post:

"The one thing I noticed throughout the evening that I thought out of hand was the constant head-slapping. I saw the ref warn both Gilman and Clark (it wasn't limited to Iowa wrestlers), but both did it repeatedly after being warned."

But you didn't see any penalties handed out for it.

William Danforth added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

They penalized Martin for something. (Hands to face or excessive head slap?)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 18, 2017

Exactly, Hank. I just posted the 6 AAs bit on another thread. As fans, we can be all about win or lose. They award top 8 because even that is a BIG DEAL!!! And this year, we put 6 on the podium. I honestly believe, before Tom Ryan hangs up his coaching whistle, he will coach a team with 10 AAs.

► Add to the Discussion