Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Checking in with Buckeye Nation
Gregory Martin added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Hello fellow Buckeye followers as many of you know I don't post on here to often but after a great time in St Louis I thought I would check in with you guys First off I'm Just as proud of my son this year as I was last year He became a two Time All American in a tough weight class Many said he would not All American when he moved up a weight class and he proved many doubters wrong We all know there is only 10 champs per year and Nickal who is a very tough wrestler won the tournament AlthoughMyles placed 5th he was able to beat the champ and the 3rd place finisher this year so he was right there with everyone else Thought I would share a article with you guys that I though was a great summary for him

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nj.com/v1/articles/20349158/ncaa_wrestling_penns_groves_myles_martin_a_2016_ch.amp

I would also like to mention although we finished second as team I love the closeness of this group of young men So Glad Myles chose Ohio state because the experience is about much more then wrestling The respect and dignity each one shows is what you would want each young man to display
Over the weekend I had the opportunity to cheer on kids from all over the country and although my son is a Buckeye many of these young men I have known for years One kid that was competing was my quarterback as a young kid because I coach football Also had a chance to catch up with Nicky Suriano's father who is a good friend of mine We always stay in touch with each other and it hurt me to see Nick not being able to compete I actually believe a healthy Nick wins 125 and that's of course my opinion but I love that kid and I don't care who he is wrestling for While at the tournament I got a call from Mrs Ruth which is Ed's mom because she also stays in contact with me Some of you may know she has a younger son that is coming up that just won a state title and you can rest assured that he will be looking at the Buckeyes when it's his time :) I said that to say this sport has a way of creating a wrestling family outside your own no matter what schools kids go to and I love it
Lastly I want to share this One thing that I have never understood is how some fans dislike the wrestlers their school compete against Or fans that support another school feels as though they have to put down everyone else I had a chance to talk to Dean of Cornell and Dudley of Nebraska who was in Myles weight class over the weekend between one of the sessions and both talked about how great of wrestler Myles is and Dean said he appreciated how classy of a family we have I love the sport of wrestling but I hate the number of trolls it has when it comes to these young men however guys like this allows me to realize just how great some of these young men really are He lost with dignity but before the podium picture I watched Dean shake every single young mans hand that made the podium with him and that was impressive!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Quote from Gregory Martin's post:

"Hello fellow Buckeye followers as many of you know I don't post on here to often but after a great time in St Louis I thought I would check in with you guys First off I'm Just as proud of my son this year as I was last year He became a two Time All American in a tough weight class Many said he would not All American when he moved up a weight class and he proved many doubters wrong We all know there is only 10 champs per year and Nickal who is a very tough wrestler won the tournament AlthoughMyles placed 5th he was able to beat the champ and the 3rd place finisher this year so he was right there with everyone else Thought I would share a article with you guys that I though was a great summary for him

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nj.com/v1/articles/20349158/ncaa_wrestling_penns_groves_myles_martin_a_2016_ch.amp

I would also like to mention although we finished second as team I love the closeness of this group of young men So Glad Myles chose Ohio state because the experience is about much more then wrestling The respect and dignity each one shows is what you would want each young man to display
Over the weekend I had the opportunity to cheer on kids from all over the country and although my son is a Buckeye many of these young men I have known for years One kid that was competing was my quarterback as a young kid because I coach football Also had a chance to catch up with Nicky Suriano's father who is a good friend of mine We always stay in touch with each other and it hurt me to see Nick not being able to compete I actually believe a healthy Nick wins 125 and that's of course my opinion but I love that kid and I don't care who he is wrestling for While at the tournament I got a call from Mrs Ruth which is Ed's mom because she also stays in contact with me Some of you may know she has a younger son that is coming up that just won a state title and you can rest assured that he will be looking at the Buckeyes when it's his time :) I said that to say this sport has a way of creating a wrestling family outside your own no matter what schools kids go to and I love it
Lastly I want to share this One thing that I have never understood is how some fans dislike the wrestlers their school compete against Or fans that support another school feels as though they have to put down everyone else I had a chance to talk to Dean of Cornell and Dudley of Nebraska who was in Myles weight class over the weekend between one of the sessions and both talked about how great of wrestler Myles is and Dean said he appreciated how classy of a family we have I love the sport of wrestling but I hate the number of trolls it has when it comes to these young men however guys like this allows me to realize just how great some of these young men really are He lost with dignity but before the podium picture I watched Dean shake every single young mans hand that made the podium with him and that was impressive!!"

Myles represents himself, you and Ohio State in exemplary fashion every time he steps on the mat. He has no reason to hang his head over his performance at the NCAA's - I know of so many wrestlers who would love to be 2 time AA's.
And keep working on Mr. Ruth - he won his first PIAA championship as a soph.this year and I'm sure everyone here would love to see him in S&G, even though his likely destination is PSU. Thanks

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Thanks for the update Mr. Martin. Great article. Sheds some light on the weight class change. Myles' riding won him a lot of matches last year at the NCAA. This year he wasn't able to ride as well probably due to the class change. He really came back strong to finish 5th after a tough loss on Thursday night. Looking forward to seeing him bulk up and be a terror next year.

Gregory Martin added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Thanks and JP let me be clear Mrs Ruth not Mr Ruth We all know the women have Last say and any coach that thinks Lil Ruth is signed sealed and delivered to PSU is foolish When they come calling they better call Mrs Ruth I won't say to much on that topic but I would really be very surprised if he ends up in Happy Valley By the way Mrs Ruth is a awesome lady and gave me a lot of ensight during Myles recruitment I will certainly be pushing hard and sharing info with all the kids I know from Jersey, Maryland and PA when it comes to recruiting just like she did for me
Mark I agree about the riding which last year helped him win although he rode Dechow when he had to I'm pushing against freestyle this summer to grow into the weight class and just keep improving

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

I like the fact that at 184 & 197 there will be a lot of the top guys graduating this year, and with Myles growing into 184 and Moore emerging as a top contender at 197, I think OSU will have there own "Murderer's Row" next year from 174 to 285, if Bo gets healthy.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I like the fact that at 184 & 197 there will be a lot of the top guys graduating this year, and with Myles growing into 184 and Moore emerging as a top contender at 197, I think OSU will have there own "Murderer's Row" next year from 174 to 285, if Bo gets healthy."

A non-healthy Bo is pretty dang good.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

cutting down to 184 from 188 or 189 is NOT cutting at all. Especially by the third day of NCAA's when most 184's will weigh 200 or so. I'm looking forward to seeing Myles as a full sized 184 in the year ahead. :)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Gregg: I was one of those who wondered how Myles might perform up a weight against much tougher comp. I really felt that if he could get back on the podium--anywhere in top 8--it would be a superb accomplishment. I honestly feel that he (along with Kollin Moore) improved more over the course of the season than anyone could reasonably expect. And that's what it took to finish a strong 5th at a brutal weight. In my opinion, Myles is a head and shoulders better wrestler now than when he won a year ago. Wins and losses don't always tell the whole story but I think that having to push so hard at a packed weight class made him a better wrestler. Congrats to your son. He had a great season and I am so excited to get the opportunity to continue to watch him compete.

Rex Holman added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

I second everyone else's sentiment. Myles did an outstanding job this year. His win over Dechow in consi blood round speaks volumes about his will to win. While this season was probably rough on him in terms of ups and downs, I admire his grittiness as a competitor, plus it is evident that he is very passionate about the way he competes.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on March 20, 2017

Next year Myles will be in the finals against his familiar foe, Bo Nickal. Can't wait!

► Add to the Discussion