Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Penn State - I'm over it
Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

Contemplated writing this because I assume people will tell me how amazing they are, so let me get that out of the way: I know they're amazing.

I love watching them wrestle, they seem like great kids, Cael seems like a great person and is the best coach in the country.

I respect everything about them.

However, Saturday night was boring. Watching them win 5 straight for me wasn't intriguing, it didn't keep my attention, it actually made me want to check out the basketball scores.

Many argue that dynasties are great for sports. I disagree. I like variety. Seeing a Lehigh wrestler win at 25 was cool. Watching Clark (another one who seems like a great young man) was cool. Heil-Dicam was awesome. That was fun.

About the whole 'just have fun' thing. That wore me out a little. I love the premise, I preach it to my children: we play sports for fun! But winning is fun! I want one time to see a PSU wrestler lose, walk off the mat and say "Man I just had fun." Once that happens, I'll believe.

I saw Willy tweet tonight that projected 19/20 line up could have only 2 wrestlers from PA. I think this is dangerous - PA has the best HS wrestling in the country, don't think it's a debate. If the narrative becomes that PSU doesn't recruit PA, it could have a negative impact long term.

So, any way, it's counter intuitive to say I respect their team and staff, love watching them wrestle, but they annoy me. It's a fan thing, I suppose. Maybe they're TOO good, like the girl in HS who always turned in her homework early. I need a little nasty, a little Gilman.

I'm over it.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

I enjoyed the historic aspect of their performance. The thing that stood out to me was how loose the PSU wrestlers are. Even at the B1G their guys performed for the most part. Their fans are insufferable though.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

Awesome little essay Ethan. Love it.

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on March 21, 2017

yeah great read I enjoyed it also. Would it have been boring to watch 5 bucks win it and say the same thing? ;p just messin with ya

Cory Surles added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Contemplated writing this because I assume people will tell me how amazing they are, so let me get that out of the way: I know they're amazing.

I love watching them wrestle, they seem like great kids, Cael seems like a great person and is the best coach in the country.

I respect everything about them.

However, Saturday night was boring. Watching them win 5 straight for me wasn't intriguing, it didn't keep my attention, it actually made me want to check out the basketball scores.

Many argue that dynasties are great for sports. I disagree. I like variety. Seeing a Lehigh wrestler win at 25 was cool. Watching Clark (another one who seems like a great young man) was cool. Heil-Dicam was awesome. That was fun.

About the whole 'just have fun' thing. That wore me out a little. I love the premise, I preach it to my children: we play sports for fun! But winning is fun! I want one time to see a PSU wrestler lose, walk off the mat and say "Man I just had fun." Once that happens, I'll believe.

I saw Willy tweet tonight that projected 19/20 line up could have only 2 wrestlers from PA. I think this is dangerous - PA has the best HS wrestling in the country, don't think it's a debate. If the narrative becomes that PSU doesn't recruit PA, it could have a negative impact long term.

So, any way, it's counter intuitive to say I respect their team and staff, love watching them wrestle, but they annoy me. It's a fan thing, I suppose. Maybe they're TOO good, like the girl in HS who always turned in her homework early. I need a little nasty, a little Gilman.

I'm over it."

Starts to slow clap 👏🏽

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

"It's a fan thing, I suppose."...I suppose you're right.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Ethan,
Well said. You're not alone in that sentiment. And to see top 5 recruits flipping their commmitments on top of all of that and joining forces with them makes it that much worse. I think I might've puked in my mouth just a little bit yesterday. And based on tweets I saw across the entire country yesterday, we're not alone in that feeling either.

With that said, I think this is the best I've ever felt about the program Coach Ryan and staff are assembling. They return everyone next season and are going to have legitimate, top level depth at many places throughout the line-up. Incoming blue chip talent. A competitive transfer or two of their own.The future is bright at OSU regardless of what's going on outside of the program.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

I agree on many of these points. I'm a fan of parity in sports; it makes it more exciting when there's not a clear front-runner. When PSU won in 2011, it was their first title since 1953 (and the first team east of the Mississippi to win since 1967), and I thought that was pretty cool. Cael is doing great things at PSU, but now that PSU has won 6 of the last 7, I'd like to see a new team win. I root for Ohio State, but I'd love to see a team like Cornell, Mizzou, NC State or VTech win it.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"I agree on many of these points. I'm a fan of parity in sports; it makes it more exciting when there's not a clear front-runner. When PSU won in 2011, it was their first title since 1953 (and the first team east of the Mississippi to win since 1967), and I thought that was pretty cool. Cael is doing great things at PSU, but now that PSU has won 6 of the last 7, I'd like to see a new team win. I root for Ohio State, but I'd love to see a team like Cornell, Mizzou, NC State or VTech win it."

I"m not over it - my damn PSU buddy had to test me late last night to gloat about Teasdale! And I was still glowing about Campbell! :)

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

I think for a lot of people it's an issue of being in foreign territory. For years Iowa was the bad guy and that made sense. Iowa was an easy program to hate. Their style, while relentless, could come across as dirty and being "jerkish" at times. They had characters and coaches who could be hated for things they said or did on and off the mat. Iowa was the bad guy and the dominate team and it fit into a nice neat box.

Then Penn State comes along and it confuses a lot of people. You have the coach who is a sports legend that is relatively likeable and respectful. He recruits top athletes who by all accounts are respectful and tough nosed wrestlers who dominate, but not in a way that comes across as being a "jerk". In interviews they come across as likeable and preach an atmosphere of fun and relaxed training/wrestling, which is counter intuitive to the Iowa way of "grind grind grind".

I don't think dynasties are bad because they have always been there. I think the issue really is they are just doing it a different way, a way that seems effortless rather than grueling and grinding like when Iowa was doing it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Tony--well said.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

I find myself nodding and agreeing with almost everything here. Tony Bradberry nails it...it's hard to hate PSU.

However, I agree with Tony Jameson the most:

If five Bucks just won the NCAAs and we were loaded to bear with recruits, we would be whistling Dixie out of our assholes. We'd all love the dynasties then. At least I would.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

Boring? 8 + million ESPN viewers would disagree. It was exciting to watch a historically dominate 10-0 performance through the semis and finals. PSU had you on the edge of your seat wondering when one of their wheels would eventually fall off. Let's be honest- Imar, Bojo and Dean were probably favored in their final matches so it was no routine performance even by PSU standards. We all witnessed greatness on Friday and Saturday night.

I chuckle because I am sure a lot of the folks on this board will switch gears and just love it as the Buckeyes continue to hammer the Big Ten whipping boys this fall. I wonder how much people would then prefer parity if say Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana and Illinois would actually have a legitimate chance to win a Big Ten football title?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

No doubt imo thrilling to watch history, a "Michaelangelo" was painted by Cael & Penn St. i am full of admiration, will never forget it. Are we in the midst of one of these runs??? i hope not, in terms of teams yes that could get "booooooooooring"

according to AWN wrapup next issue, only stronger “dynasties” in history were Iowa’s 11 of 12 titles from 1975-86 under Dan Gable, plus nine out of ten from 1991-00. Oklahoma State won 15 of the first 18 NCAAs (1928-49).

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 22, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed this season. The Buckeyes were fantastic. They won the Big Ten over the "dynasty." With a little help from some other teams we could have been closer to the title. There was essentially nothing from 125, 157 and 165 on the national scene for the Buckeyes.

Next year TOSU will have several wrestlers who will compete for titles. The difference between PSU and TOSU is, in my opinion, not as big as it looks. Each team has two seeming locks. Imar gets a shot at Joseph, Bo gets Hall and 184 clears out somewhat for Myles v. Nickal. PSU loses those matches and the Buckeyes are in the hunt. We know what Kollin and Micah can do. Yes, Suriano returns but hopefully we get more out of 125, 157 and 165 for all the reasons previously stated in other posts.

I don't mind "dynasties" because the wins get sweeter.

My problem with PSU is their fans. They can be obnoxious. Their team comports itself better.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next