Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: We have lost a legend
Jim Behrens added to this discussion on March 23, 2017

Guys,
I should have thought of this earlier but sadly I didn't.
Bob p thought it should be out there.
Jim

MICHAEL P. PAPOURAS, passed away peacefully on March 20, 2017 in the company of his wife and children, aged 81 years, beloved husband for 52 years to Sia (nee Christides), loving father of Constance George (husband Jack) and Christopher (wife Veena), cherished “papou” of Gianna Katerina George and Michael Jose Papouras, devoted son of the late Pantelis and Katerina (nee Ladas), fond brother of Haralambos (deceased) (wife Maria), Eleftheria Goulis (husband Pavlos) (both deceased) and Steven (wife Violet) (both deceased).

Mike was a devoted family man, a loyal and life-long friend to many. He was a smart, witty, jovial conversationalist with a love for and great knowledge of history and politics. He sincerely cared for and championed all of the students and athletes that he touched in his storied career as an educator and coach. Mike is a member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame based on his long-time work as head coach of the Richmond Heights Spartans. “MOLON LABE”

Mike served proudly on the Parish Council of Sts. Constantine & Helen Cathedral and was a man of deep faith who will be greatly missed by all those fortunate enough to have known him.

In lieu of flowers, contributions suggested to Wounded Warrior Project or Sts. Constantine & Helen Philoptochos Society.

Funeral services Friday, March 24, 2017 at Sts. Constantine & Helen Greek Orthodox Cathedral at 11 AM. Burial following in Knollwood Cemetery. Family will receive friends to pay tribute to and celebrate the life of Mike at THE DeJOHN-FLYNN-MYLOTT FUNERAL HOME OF SOUTH EUCLID, 4600 MAYFIELD RD. (just East of Green Rd.) THURSDAY 3-8 PM. Trisagion Service Thursday at 7:45 PM.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 24, 2017

Sad news indeed. A gentleman...a kind hearted soul...and a great wrestling coach. Richmond Heights was an extraordinary program in the 1970s in a similar sense to what we're seeing at Mechanicsburg right now. Rest in peace Mike. Thanks for setting a great example on how to be a great coach and a class human being.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on March 25, 2017

We have, and its unfortunate that a lot of the posters on here did not know him or of him, but you would of loved him. He had a great sense of humor, ability to tell great wrestling stories, and said it how it was. He was a legend of the era and earned his reputation through success, hard work, and an era of really tough kids. What would be great, is take a minute and think of a person who we may never know, but gave so much of his time for your success, and ask for nothing in return, that was Mr. Papouras. This is a time when I think of what my St. Joseph teacher, Mr. Joe Farrell said, "when a man gives you his time he is giving you part of his LIFE." I am thankful to have spent some time with Mr. Papouras. God Bless

► Add to the Discussion