Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: New commits
Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 6, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Cory Surles's post:

"New Commit Brakan Mead.....we will have 10 125/133 pounders on the roster in 2019 at this rate."

Nice. Congrats to BM. Bucks will have him and kid from Mason on roster in fall. As a critic of lack of depth at 125, I salute the staff for working hard to bring in talented young men with upside. There's also Decatur and Henselman coming over next few years so there should be some very good competition at lowest couple wt classes."

Yes, what Hank said! Anthony Ralph is DEFINITELY earning his keep. When your "depth" guys are multiple time state champs, the job is clearly getting done. And there's been plenty of blue chip talent speckled in for good measure. Aren't the Koontz twins coming in the fall as well? That's 4 solid depth guys at the entry weight class now. Kudos, tNDG and Co.!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 6, 2017

Koontz twins are not listed on InterMat. I suspect they're no longer going to be Buckeyes. Here's who's coming:

Ryan Ferro Warwick Valley OH 157
Zach Steiner Norwayne OH 174/184
Brakan Mead Olentangy Liberty OH 125
Jamar Williams South Carroll MD 174
Te'Shan Campbell North Hills PA 165
Chase Singletary Blair Academy NJ 285
Jaimen Hood Mason OH 125/133
Ethan Smith Sparrows Point MD 174/184
Kaleb Romero Mechanicsburg OH 174/184

Very intriguing group. Singletary, Smith and Romero are highly regarded from a national perspective while Ferro, Steiner, Mead, Williams and Hood are accomplished in terms of state level competition. Campbell is a big addition as he instantly challenges for a starting spot. From a numbers perspective it's an impressive group. Obviously, we'll look back in a year and assess how they seem to be developing.

One of my pet peeves with the Bucks has been that they have too many guys on the roster who don't wrestle very often. But when you look at this group, you can imagine most of them (perhaps all) competing frequently at open events. To me, that's a welcome development.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 7, 2017

Speaking of not wrestling enough -- Kolat's proposal of not having "redshirts" but rather having 5 years to compete in a maximum of 4 post season tournaments -- make incredible sense. There should never be any forfeits in a dual meet (and I'd propose making a forfeit worth 9 points - punish the team that can't put a guy on the mat).

The "Ralph Effect" definitely seems to be taking place as far as getting a depth of kids at each weight. Now the "Ryan/Jaggers/Tervel Effect" can lead to more national championships.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on April 7, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Speaking of not wrestling enough -- Kolat's proposal of not having "redshirts" but rather having 5 years to compete in a maximum of 4 post season tournaments -- make incredible sense. There should never be any forfeits in a dual meet (and I'd propose making a forfeit worth 9 points - punish the team that can't put a guy on the mat).

The "Ralph Effect" definitely seems to be taking place as far as getting a depth of kids at each weight. Now the "Ryan/Jaggers/Tervel Effect" can lead to more national championships."

Totally get the point your regarding duals and forfeits, however until coaches really care about duals, you can make forfeits worth a 100 points and it wouldn't change much. The focus will always be on the national tournament.

With that said, Kolat's idea would give coaches more options to fill weights without risking injury to their key starters.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 7, 2017

Kolat's proposal is brilliant for wrestling. But how do you fit it into the idea of redshirting for athletics in general? Would a group as uptight and rules oriented as the NCAA show the necessary flexibility to implement a great idea for one (perhaps several) sports? My guess is never....but I'm wrong a lot*

*an M-Rod original. I don't own the rights to this expression.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 22, 2017

Dayton Racer will be a Buckeye!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 22, 2017

Congrats Dayton!

Just wondering - how many JUCO guys has developed into D-I guys. I'm sure it happens which is why I'm asking.

Kolkata idea: makes too much sense and it wasn't the NCAA's idea. It'll never happen.

Brandon: I think I am guilty of negatively quoting the coaches' sentiment by stating "Duals don't matter." I think the correct belief is that duals should have weight/(positive) consequences. Before the NCAA football playoffs came into being, which games mattered the most? The answer is all of them. Each game was important. Now, the hope is any slip up occurs in the beginning of the season. In the NBA - nah. I don't like those pumpkin pushers. :-)

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 22, 2017

Dayton Racer started at VT and was about .500 wrestler, so he has D1 experience. He then transferred to IA Central and won a NJCAA championship. He'll be competing for the 157# spot.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 22, 2017

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Dayton Racer started at VT and was about .500 wrestler, so he has D1 experience. He then transferred to IA Central and won a NJCAA championship. He'll be competing for the 157# spot."

Question is, does he give the Buckeyes a viable AA capability at the weight?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 23, 2017

Quote from Chris Shepherd's post:

"

Quote from Dwight LeRoy's post:

"Dayton Racer started at VT and was about .500 wrestler, so he has D1 experience. He then transferred to IA Central and won a NJCAA championship. He'll be competing for the 157# spot."

Question is, does he give the Buckeyes a viable AA capability at the weight?"

I don't know the details but my online research yesterday alluded to Racer having made some mistakes that hampered him while at VT. Assuming his head is in the right place, he gives the Bucks strength and depth at 157. Is he an AA candidate? We'll find out. He may not even be a starter.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on April 25, 2017

2 time NY state camp Ryan Ferro also commits to the Buckeyes. He projects to 157 lbs.

http://www.ohiowrestlingnews.com/news_article/show/775261?referrer_id=1023868

http://www.recordonline.com/varsity/20170326/warwick-wrestler-ferro-commits-to-powerhouse-ohio-state

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3