Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: PItt Job
Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

You have to imagine the pay is a huge bump from head asst at tOSU...but maybe not?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Hank: I thought I was the only one with those types of daydreams.

KF150: I would venture to say the increase is six figures. Not the overall pay - which it would be - but the increase alone = six figures.

Something a couple of my buddies and I were discussing...the more competition in recruiting from schools like WVU, PITT, Clarion, Edinboro, and the like, seem to affect Ohio State more than PSU. Perhaps I'm wrong on that or maybe I'm right and it's just a phase that tNDG & Co are working through.

Bottom line: I should want J to be happy more than I want him to remain at Ohio State. I'm just saying that I hope he's happiest here.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Something a couple of my buddies and I were discussing...the more competition...."

Hey. Wait.

You have other buddies besides me, Brady, and your brother?!

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

I look at the Pitt Job as one of those "sleeping giant" programs. The money is good, the facilities aren't bad and recruiting area is maybe the best in the country. You could be Edinboro within a couple years. You could be Cornell (on the mat, not off) in the near future. I think this is a better job than Oklahoma. I think if Rosselli knew this job was coming up he would've waited.

I don't see this as a stepping stool kind of job at all and I don't think someone like Jaggers has enough experience to run a program like that. I'm intrigued by Heskett. I thought maybe Kolat would show some interest, but it doesn't seem like that's an option. I'm shocked that memebers of the Penn State staff aren't in play. That would seem like the logical direction to move in.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Ha! Justin thinks my brother is on that list. You funny, dude.

Michael: I think the PITT job is huge and the affects of a budding program will be felt by many schools around the area.

As for Heskett - his stint at Army didn't go as planned but I think comparisons between it and PITT are like apples and Jerry Jones.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"...As for Heskett - his stint at Army didn't go as planned but I think comparisons between it and PITT are like apples and Jerry Jones."

My views on Heskett are obviously skewed. He comes off as such a good guy...but it's clear that you can be a great guy and a crappy coach (or the reverse for that matter). Bottom line, Pitt needs to take its time and make the right hire. Do what tOSU did. Find the right coach can transform that program.

Again, I'm surprised they're not poaching Penn State.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

How about Dresser adding Metcalf and Zaddick to the ISU staff. Reading the Iowa forums they are pissed.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"How about Dresser adding Metcalf and Zaddick to the ISU staff. Reading the Iowa forums they are pissed."

...because Iowa fans always squawk. Iowa got Gable from Iowa. These guys are just the "players to be named later" in the deal.

Dan Strope added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Kolat seems like the logical choice but if he is out of play then I would LOVE to have Jody Strittmatter. He would be the perfect choice.

His Young Guns club is top notch and producing at an alarming rate. His reputation is outstanding throughout the country so assembling a high profile staff would not be that difficult. The only real question would be if the job would or would not be a pay cut for him and can Pitt afford him?

Mike Stann added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"How about Dresser adding Metcalf and Zaddick to the ISU staff. Reading the Iowa forums they are pissed."

...because Iowa fans always squawk. Iowa got Gable from Iowa. These guys are just the "players to be named later" in the deal."

As I've been told karma's a -

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 13, 2017

Keith Gavin is the new coach

Gavin was a three year starter for Pitt, winning an NCAA championship in 2008 at 174 pounds after a runner up finish at the same weight in 2007.

Gavin returns to his alma mater by way of the Oklahoma Sooner program, where he served as an assistant coach under Lou Rosselli for the 2016-17 season. Gavin spent the two previous seasons before that as a member of the Virginia Cavalier coaching staff.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2