Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Mason Parris
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 2, 2017

He's a 220 pound junior from Indiana who slaughtered the field at Flo Nationals. After watching him utterly destroy some solid competition, I believe he is the best prospect in the country at any weight class currently competing in high school. If I'm Coach Ryan and company, I have to recruit this kid even with Singletary in the fold. He's incredibly powerful and his technique is outstanding. If you have a Flo account, watch him and tell me what you think. And consider how good he'd get working out with Snyder and Moore.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dwight LeRoy added to this discussion on April 2, 2017

I watched his finals match and he's a takedown machine, feet to back, bonus point guy. I agree with you 110%, this kid has the type of mindset that tOSU needs in order to get bonus points. He's wrestling 220# at FloNationals which has a weight allowance so he's clearly going to be a heavyweight in college.

Football or wrestling, which sport is he wanting to compete at in college?

Below is a quote from him (source: http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1759314-productive-lb-parris-has-two-offers).
"For football I am in contact with schools such as Purdue, Indiana, Miami (OH), Michigan State, Northern Illinois and Wisconsin. For wrestling, I have talked to many schools such as Indiana University, Ohio State, Illinois, Nebraska, NC State, Princeton, Virginia Tech, and Purdue."

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on April 2, 2017

I would love to see him as the Bucks heavyweight after Snyder finishes his career!!

If Parris wrestles in college, he's almost certainly not going to PSU. They're going to have Seth Nevills. That means the Bucks can get him (repeating myself...if he wrestles).

To borrow a phrase from the NFL, Parris looks to me like a #1 pick in the draft. He's the guy you have to have. If I'm Ohio State, I rethink my whole recruiting board and put him number one.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 2, 2017

Not disagreeing with your assessment of him -- but with Chase already in the fold, needs are greater elsewhere and should be getting in buys to replace those tOSU is losing in the next two years.

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"Not disagreeing with your assessment of him -- but with Chase already in the fold, needs are greater elsewhere and should be getting in buys to replace those tOSU is losing in the next two years."

My opinion--Chase is small and lacking the physicality for D1 heavy. He'll need to get a lot bigger and stronger. Even then, I'm not sold. I'd like to be more optimistic about him but I see a different version of Nick Tavanello. Tav was a solid competitor at this level but didn't have the physical tools to compete with larger/longer armed big men. I think Singletary will spend a lot of time with his head pushed into the mat in D1 with bigger, stronger wrestlers spinning behind for two. I hope I'm wrong but my spider sense is tingling when it comes to Singletary.

You may be right Brady. The money--however much it is--is committed. Bucks may feel they have no choice but to spend elsewhere. But my feeling is Parris is a Zain Retherford type--you just get him if you can and let your lineup figure itself out.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 3, 2017

Maybe Josh Lowe or someone else knowledgeable about the national scene could offer some background? Singletary is currently ranked #1 at 220 with Parris #3...what's the rationale for that? Have Mason Parris and Chase Singletary met in the past? Are they likely to meet this summer in Freestyle or Greco?

Hank, if they've met and Singletary won, would that matter, or do you just see Parris as a better prospect, period?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 3, 2017

Chase, according to Kaleb, has never lifted weights seriously. This will change at tOSU. He has a tremendous frame to add some serious muscle. I expect him to wrestle around 250 his R-Fr season.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 3, 2017

[quote="Hank Kornblut"] My opinion--Chase is small and lacking the physicality for D1 heavy. He'll need to get a lot bigger and stronger. Even then, I'm not sold. I'd like to be more optimistic about him but I see a different version of Nick Tavanello. {/quote]

one big dif, Tav was always gonna be short for a hvwt & lack reach, while Singletary is rangy and has skills on mat & feet. Attacks lower leg well and like all great Blair-ites is velcro on top. let's see how big he gets his RS year before we have "buyers remorse."

i'm sold on the top Blair kids-- like St Eds many of their top kids burn out, but those that don't are hammers.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 3, 2017

Chase, according to Kaleb, has never lifted weights seriously. This will change at tOSU. He has a tremendous frame to add some serious muscle. I expect him to wrestle around 250 his R-Fr season.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 3, 2017

I hope he can be like the Duke kid, Kasper. Tall and rangy, but also strong.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 3, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

" I expect him to wrestle around 250 his R-Fr season."

i don't think as high as 250. i talked with him at Ironmn, observed he is about 6 ft 2 but not-broad shoulders, rangy but not a large frame. ...i say 235 with real skills on top and below-knee leg attack.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 3, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Maybe Josh Lowe or someone else knowledgeable about the national scene could offer some background? Singletary is currently ranked #1 at 220 with Parris #3...what's the rationale for that? Have Mason Parris and Chase Singletary met in the past? Are they likely to meet this summer in Freestyle or Greco?

Hank, if they've met and Singletary won, would that matter, or do you just see Parris as a better prospect, period?"

I see Parris and Colton Schultz (who Singletary beat at Ironman) as better long term heavy prospects. But...I'm wrong a lot*

*credit to Mike Rodriguez for this particular phrase.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Paris looks like a miniature Brock Lesnar. He physically just horsed his way through flonationals. I'm sold on Singletary. He's super slick, athletic, and has been wrestling national caliber wrestlers for the duration of his high school career. Granted he is not nearly as physically imposing as Paris, but you can lift into size. You can't learn some of the things that Singletary has. I'd love to see them square off.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 4, 2017

Blair exceeds all standards for high school-- in 1995 i went to the Elite Duals in the Lehigh Valley for Blair's coming out party, the first of Jeff Buxton's juggernauts. It was an eye-opener, even vs top PA teams i'd never seen such hand fighting & on-top wrestling in high school. Almost never seen in a big man in high school, Singletary has those skills plus low-leg attack.

19th century German philosopher Neitsche said, "What does not kill me makes me stronger." Popular saying today but thats where it came from. .... like st Eds, quite a few top Blair kids burn out/peak out in college but those that don't are well worth having. We wont know right away but Ryan thinks hes got the right stuff mentally & maturity, i gotta bank on Ryan opinion until proven otherwise.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next