Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NCAA wrestling proposes new rules
Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 14, 2017

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/54731-NCAA-wrestling-proposes-new-rules#.WPFhw4EpCEc

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 15, 2017

No more laying on one's back, unable to move, clinging to an ankle. I like that change.

They still haven't touched parallel riding. Nothing puts a crowd to sleep like mat wrestling whose sole purpose is to cling to control.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on April 15, 2017

The article from USA Wrestling (http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/April/14/NCAA-Rules-Committee-Recommendations) showed a picture of Cory Clark getting the merkle off of Tomasello's shot, so at first I thought that one of the proposed rule changes would address the side headlock being considered control...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 15, 2017

Quote from Jeff Streu's post:

"The article from USA Wrestling (http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/April/14/NCAA-Rules-Committee-Recommendations) showed a picture of Cory Clark getting the merkle off of Tomasello's shot, so at first I thought that one of the proposed rule changes would address the side headlock being considered control..."

Yeah, the merkle as control is nonsense. Unless you free your leg, you can't improve. I don't know how you can award a TD if you can't move once you get it.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 15, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

"The article from USA Wrestling (http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/April/14/NCAA-Rules-Committee-Recommendations) showed a picture of Cory Clark getting the merkle off of Tomasello's shot, so at first I thought that one of the proposed rule changes would address the side headlock being considered control..."

Yeah, the merkle as control is nonsense. Unless you free your leg, you can't improve. I don't know how you can award a TD if you can't move once you get it."

From what I am reading, "control" must be viewed differently by the NCAA than we are told to call it.
For us, for a wrestler using a merkle, control is only awarded after the "offensive" man can demonstrate that he can force the "defensive" man to do something that he would not otherwise do. Generally this means stretching him out and driving him forward. There are other ways but this is by far the most common.
I suspect that, because of the NCAA, many HS coaches see a merkle applied and think it is automatically control and points. They oftentimes will help us make the call by telling us what the move is. Nice guys help us like that a lot.

David Rourke added to this discussion on April 15, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Yeah, the merkle as control is nonsense. Unless you free your leg, you can't improve. I don't know how you can award a TD if you can't move once you get it."

And, according to the rules, the side headlock, aka merkel, is an instant stall count, which in both "takedowns" in Clark/Tomasello match, they didn't count...

Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on April 16, 2017

I had always thought that to be awarded a 2 point takedown when in the merkel position the wrestler with the headlock had to have his leg between the other wrestler's two legs. Nato had the Iowa wrestlers leg shelved so in my view 2 poi ts should not have been awarded.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on April 16, 2017

Still no push out rule...

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on April 16, 2017

Quote from Bruce Andrews's post:

"I had always thought that to be awarded a 2 point takedown when in the merkel position the wrestler with the headlock had to have his leg between the other wrestler's two legs. Nato had the Iowa wrestlers leg shelved so in my view 2 poi ts should not have been awarded."

I can't speak to current NCAA standards but in HS the position of the leg has nothing to do with control. As I stated above, the "offensive" wrestler has to show me that he can force the opponent to do something against his will. He likely uses the leg to brace himself to drive the opponent forward and/or to break the opponent down. That is control.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 16, 2017

Bruce, you are correct but Clark was never awarded the 2 until NaTo let the leg slip off his hip and in-between his legs.

► Add to the Discussion