Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: 2017 US Open/Team Trials
Jack Muni added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"What a great match between Dieringer and Anthony Valencia. Ringer ended up winning after back and forths and bad officiating.

Also, Nick Heflin beat Gabe Dean"

I watched Heflin vs Nickal match, ref missed the pin. Nick won anyway, but she was never in position to call the pin.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

Congrats Luke Pletcher on winning the title at 63K

Malik Heinselman also won at 50K

Chase Singletary ended up 5th at 96K

David Carr finished 6th.

On the senior side, Nate Tomasello had a very good tourney with tight wins over Megaludis, Zach Sanders and Frank Perelli. His only loss was 2-2 criteria to Ramos in a bout where he largely outwrestled the eventual champ. Good 3rd place for him but the weight has a lot of excellent competitors.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

Hank don't forget about my man Kevin Snyder finishing fourth in the same weight as Singletary. He lost head to head, but climbed back through to finish fourth. That shows a pretty good leap in ability for him considering he was not highly touted as a recruit. Depth wise you have to feel good about the gaps that are being closed. I would assume we would lose some to attrition or dissatisfaction about not getting matches, but at least we won't be forfeiting matches next year.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

More beating the dead horse, but with Pletcher's success at 138, maybe he should be thought of as the heir apparent at 141? So the issue becomes whether or not Hayes can/has grown into a legit 149. I think Jordan to 157 is a more seamless transition. I could see a 157-pound Jordan having similar success up a weight. He's not winning it (because of Nolf), but he'll be right there with the rest of the contenders, 2-6.

Rodriguez, Tomesello, Pletcher, Hayes, Jordan, Pitt transfer (I forgot his name), Jordan, Martin, Moore and Snyder. That's the best team Ohio State has ever put on the mat...with Hayes being the biggest question mark. Not too shabby.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"More beating the dead horse, but with Pletcher's success at 138, maybe he should be thought of as the heir apparent at 141? So the issue becomes whether or not Hayes can/has grown into a legit 149. I think Jordan to 157 is a more seamless transition. I could see a 157-pound Jordan having similar success up a weight. He's not winning it (because of Nolf), but he'll be right there with the rest of the contenders, 2-6.

Rodriguez, Tomesello, Pletcher, Hayes, Jordan, Pitt transfer (I forgot his name), Jordan, Martin, Moore and Snyder. That's the best team Ohio State has ever put on the mat...with Hayes being the biggest question mark. Not too shabby."

or........

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Hank don't forget about my man Kevin Snyder finishing fourth in the same weight as Singletary. He lost head to head, but climbed back through to finish fourth. That shows a pretty good leap in ability for him considering he was not highly touted as a recruit. Depth wise you have to feel good about the gaps that are being closed. I would assume we would lose some to attrition or dissatisfaction about not getting matches, but at least we won't be forfeiting matches next year."

Kevin Snyder did a terrific job and is developing nicely.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

As a fan of OSU past, current and future, and Ohio high school alumni. I was very pleased to see some of the results of US Open, both Jr. and Sr.

Some results to be proud of:

SENIORS:
57 KG: NaTo - Finished 3rd, but he beat Perelli and Mega, and he tied with Ramos, but lost on criteria. - He is very close to being able to make the US Senior Team. - He may have a chance at the World Team Trials, and even if he doesn't make it this year, it would appear that he is knocking on the door for a US Championship next year.

83 KG: Nick Heflin - Finished third. I am so glad for Nick, I think is a great tournament for him. He wrestled Taylor closer than second place Perry did!

97 KG: Ty Walz - Fifth Place. Good for him!

JUNIORS:
46-50 KG: Future Buckeye Malik Heinselman is a stud. JUNIOR CHAMP.
55 KG: Drew Mattin, Delta - 3rd.
Dylan D'emelio, Curtice - 4th.
63 KG: Luke Pletcher, JUNIOR CHAMP! (While Nick Lee took 5th.) We Buckeye fans get at least 3 more years to enjoy watching Luke.
66 KG: Dominick Demas, 4th, Dublin. - I enjoyed rooting for his brother.
70 KG: David Carr, 6th, Massillon.
74 KG: Alex Marinelli, 2nd to Mark Hall (NCAA Champ.)
96 KG: Kevin Snyder, 4th, OSU Freshman this year.
Chase Singletary, 5th, starts OSU next year.

There is some good young talent coming to OSU.

To me, there are two huge surprises at this tournament. - One was Nick Heflin beating Gabe Dean and Bo Nickal. The other, is Kevin Snyder getting 4th at 96 KG, ahead of Singletary, his future team-mate, at 5th.

I know that we don't get to see college practices, but it would be fun to watch 'Big Boy' workouts at OSU with Kyle Snyder, Kevin Snyder, Kollin Moore, Chase Singletary, Mark Martin, Bo Jordan, Caleb Romero, and Ethan Smith next year. And I am sure that Tervel gets in on the action, also. - THERE IS SOME TALENT IN THAT ROOM!

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on April 30, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"That's the best team Ohio State has ever put on the mat...with Hayes being the biggest question mark. Not too shabby."

A bit direct, but true.

I'm no Nato, but I am Niemann Trained after attending camp this summer.

I'm also getting some tips on "moves" from Coach D. LeRoy.

#SolidContributor

Shawn Andrews added to this discussion on May 1, 2017

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"As a fan of OSU past, current and future, and Ohio high school alumni. I was very pleased to see some of the results of US Open, both Jr. and Sr.

Some results to be proud of:

SENIORS:
57 KG: NaTo - Finished 3rd, but he beat Perelli and Mega, and he tied with Ramos, but lost on criteria. - He is very close to being able to make the US Senior Team. - He may have a chance at the World Team Trials, and even if he doesn't make it this year, it would appear that he is knocking on the door for a US Championship next year.

83 KG: Nick Heflin - Finished third. I am so glad for Nick, I think is a great tournament for him. He wrestled Taylor closer than second place Perry did!

97 KG: Ty Walz - Fifth Place. Good for him!

JUNIORS:
46-50 KG: Future Buckeye Malik Heinselman is a stud. JUNIOR CHAMP.
55 KG: Drew Mattin, Delta - 3rd.
Dylan D'emelio, Curtice - 4th.
63 KG: Luke Pletcher, JUNIOR CHAMP! (While Nick Lee took 5th.) We Buckeye fans get at least 3 more years to enjoy watching Luke.
66 KG: Dominick Demas, 4th, Dublin. - I enjoyed rooting for his brother.
70 KG: David Carr, 6th, Massillon.
74 KG: Alex Marinelli, 2nd to Mark Hall (NCAA Champ.)
96 KG: Kevin Snyder, 4th, OSU Freshman this year.
Chase Singletary, 5th, starts OSU next year.

There is some good young talent coming to OSU.

To me, there are two huge surprises at this tournament. - One was Nick Heflin beating Gabe Dean and Bo Nickal. The other, is Kevin Snyder getting 4th at 96 KG, ahead of Singletary, his future team-mate, at 5th.

I know that we don't get to see college practices, but it would be fun to watch 'Big Boy' workouts at OSU with Kyle Snyder, Kevin Snyder, Kollin Moore, Chase Singletary, Mark Martin, Bo Jordan, Caleb Romero, and Ethan Smith next year. And I am sure that Tervel gets in on the action, also. - THERE IS SOME TALENT IN THAT ROOM!"

Taleb Rahmani Pitt (Marysville) 7th at 74kg

Matt Mace added to this discussion on May 1, 2017

Overlooked but Fritz Schierl got 4th in the JR Greco 79kg (174lbs) class.

William Danforth added to this discussion on May 1, 2017

Quote from Pat Altvater's post:

"
I know that we don't get to see college practices, but it would be fun to watch 'Big Boy' workouts at OSU with Kyle Snyder, Kevin Snyder, Kollin Moore, Chase Singletary, Mark Martin , Bo Jordan, Caleb Romero, and Ethan Smith next year. And I am sure that Tervel gets in on the action, also. - THERE IS SOME TALENT IN THAT ROOM!"

Myles Martin

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2