Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Peppers to Browns
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 28, 2017

the Clowns did something amazing last night--they nailed the draft. Garrett was a no-brainer but they didn't reach at QB and instead ended up with the steal of the first round--Peppers. He's Mason Parris--you watch him and you can't believe he's as good as he looks.

He is. Go Browns.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on April 28, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"the Clowns did something amazing last night--they nailed the draft. Garrett was a no-brainer but they didn't reach at QB and instead ended up with the steal of the first round--Peppers. He's Mason Parris--you watch him and you can't believe he's as good as he looks.

He is. Go Browns."

Steal of the draft? Seriously he is a great athlete who was good because he was a better athlete then his comp. and yet still only had 1 INT in 3 years. Now he is in a league where everyone is a great athlete and the guys he is covering are the best of the best. There are better safeties still on the board.

Only time will tell.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 28, 2017

i'm not so sanguine as Hank --- i'd have taken the 3 overall pick Solomon whatshisname from Stanford for my DE over Garrett who takes plays off-- i like Stanford on his resume too, means he has discipline & brains. He lit up the combine's athletic tests too.

time will tell but passing on a QB, Deshon Watson maybe, at pick 12 will be controversial. Now they got to trade for one i assume.

Mark Cummings added to this discussion on April 28, 2017

I like what the Browns are doing with acquiring future draft picks. With the QBs forecasted for next year's draft, I think what the GM is doing is brilliant. There is no way they will compete for a playoff spot next season anyway so why not stockpile picks? The Patriots have accumulated picks throughout Belichek's tenure there and they seem pretty ok. Garret taking plays off is troubling. He reminds me a little too much of Clowney for Houston who seems to rely on his athleticism and has less "want to" than some others.

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"the Clowns did something amazing last night--they nailed the draft. Garrett was a no-brainer but they didn't reach at QB and instead ended up with the steal of the first round--Peppers. He's Mason Parris--you watch him and you can't believe he's as good as he looks.

He is. Go Browns."

Steal of the draft? Seriously he is a great athlete who was good because he was a better athlete then his comp. and yet still only had 1 INT in 3 years. Now he is in a league where everyone is a great athlete and the guys he is covering are the best of the best. There are better safeties still on the board.

Only time will tell."

Hater. Watch what he does.

Quote from Mark Cummings's post:

"I like what the Browns are doing with acquiring future draft picks. With the QBs forecasted for next year's draft, I think what the GM is doing is brilliant. There is no way they will compete for a playoff spot next season anyway so why not stockpile picks? "

after utter futility since 1999 Browns need sense of urgency, imo the name of the game is winning games asap, not stockpiling picks. Browns 4-28 the last 2 years owe paying fans results.

Dashon Watson big winner in college for a reason, made the throws when they counted. Cant underestimate the mental at QB position, Watson appears to have it. Whose to say a better choice or even as good next year??

Solomon THOMAS the Stanford DE i like, got his name finally, the 3 pick, hes about the only first round pick the panel didnt expose on film, the real deal and Stanford pedigree.

Bob: I like Watson too but he was the third QB picked. Clearly teams had a lot of concerns about his ability to play at this level.

Browns appear to have wanted Trubisky. No one expected the Bears to take him.

I agree that a sense of urgency is needed. Also a balance is needed between building a contender now versus planning for the future. The Browns aren't a contender this season. No sense stretching for someone when another team is willing to mortgage their own future to you like Houston did. Maybe Watson pans out, maybe not. The Browns have a whole haul of picks next year from the Texans to make a splash.

I like the Standford players also. That school has produced a number of good to great players in the last number of years. Wouldn't have been disappointed had the Browns gone in that direction.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on April 28, 2017

49ers getting Foster at 31 was my "steal" of the first round.

As a Vikings fan, best moment of the night was Bears trading all those picks for Trubisky. I LOVED the Bears pick. :)

Freddy Carr added to this discussion on April 28, 2017

Would have rather had Charlton than Peppers. JMHO.

Peppers is a great athlete without a position (except as a returner). Kind of a tweener. Not good enough in coverage in college, let alone NFL. Not good at shedding blocks, or big enough for LB.

Could be a good situational guy to bring pressure. He can bust up screens and get after a QB.

Maybe they'll "create" a new position just for him.

Wait a minute...this is the Browns.

"I agree that a sense of urgency is needed. Also a balance is needed between building a contender now versus planning for the future. The Browns aren't a contender this season. "

Mark, imo Browns have been "planning for the future" forever to no avail, its a copout to avoid being criticized for todays failures. Kick the can down the road. When the future becomes now they still stink, thats our history.

Browns GMs and genius front office guys have come and gone, collected big checks and produced little except the great Joe Thomas-- helll he was my pick, i told everyone take that guy, anchor that left tackle spot. LOL, so u see i'm no genius and i figured that much out way back then. ......Fans SICK of planning for future, this Browns franchise has lost a generation of fans, lost them.

Hank, yes Watson 3rd QB pick, and so? Tom Brady the 6th round, Joe Montana 3rd round--- these GMS are shysters not geniuses. Fire one today, tomorrow a buddy will hire him on another team in some capacity, its the ultimate Old Boyz network.

I like winners and that is Deshon Watson, after all we got nothing so he'd be an upgrade imo..... my conclusion QB trade must be looming, MUST be.

Bob: When the Browns came back in 1999, they had less than a year to organize and just didn't do a good job. Constant change has sunk this franchise. If Lerner had just picked a decent GM and walked away we would have been better.

I share much of your frustration. As usual, time will tell if the Browns made the right moves or not. Historically they haven't but there are always exceptions.

Hank, i have no patience with "Con games" and this smells like one..... a more serious example Cleveland school board/system, for decades new school CEOs came & went taking big buyout checks with them. They were con men & women, none of them had answers or solutions, just bluster (one Barbara Byrd-Bennett is being sentenced today in Chicago).

its the same Con always foisted on gullible public (fans, taxpayers), the same con even same phrases used, just different games and ive had enough, LOL see famous lines from "Network".

Bob, after the Browns drafted Kizer I am no longer willing to give the new Browns management the benefit of the doubt. What an absolutely atrocious pick. Kizer is a worse version of Manziel. So moronic. Your wisdom regarding the management is spot on.

"Bob, after the Browns drafted Kizer I am no longer willing to give the new Browns management the benefit of the doubt. What an absolutely atrocious pick. Kizer is a worse version of Manziel. So moronic. Your wisdom regarding the management is spot on."

I can't argue with you. Kizer seems like a talented train wreck. Sure seems like a wasted pick by a team that has so many needs.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next