Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: 2017-18 NFHS Rule Changes
William Danforth added to this discussion on May 2, 2017

New rule changes for 2017-18 high school season. Two piece uniforms approved. More restrictive weigh-in rules. No more Flying Squirrel type moves. The shoulders or scapula of the offensive wrestler no longer must be inbounds to earn a fall.

Link to NFHS article:
https://www.nfhs.org/articles/alternate-two-piece-uniform-approved-for-high-school-wrestling/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 2, 2017

Rules changes that make too much sense and will never happen:

1) Stop giving a penalty point when a wrestler accidentally puts in a full nelson. No one does it on purpose. Call it potentially dangerous if need be or allow the wrestler to pull out his hand. I have been involved with wrestling since the mid 1970's and no one teaches a full nelson. It's an accident usually made by inexperienced wrestlers.

2) Change the out of bounds rules to be more like college.

Any others?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 2, 2017

who was the wrestler who lost in state finals in OT on full nelson penalty, was it Dave Rella-- or maybe a SVSM kid, it was in that era???

did NFHS look at their 2011 weight class changes, still unpopular with coaches i talk to. From recent AmWrNews:

Question: Was the elimination of a popular lower weight a smart move? Many coaches have taken issue with this change saying wrestling attracts kids who cannot compete in any other sports where size matters a lot; kids who gravitate to wrestling because the smaller athlete can be a champion. We had two upperweights 20 years ago, now we have four. Was three perhaps the right number?

Question: are fourteen too many weight classes? Is it realistic for most high schools to be able to fill 14 weights for a dual meet? In the 1960’s Ohio only had one class for all schools and only 11 weight classes. Now we have 3 classes with 14 weights in each.

Question: did the addition of another upper weight dilute the already thin talent in the weights where big athletes have more choice of sports they can successfully compete in? Yes it did dilute it. Should the NFHS should revisit the weight class makeup and consider reducing the number of weight classes? I look forward to hearing from readers.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 3, 2017

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"who was the wrestler who lost in state finals in OT on full nelson penalty, was it Dave Rella-- or maybe a SVSM kid, it was in that era???

did NFHS look at their 2011 weight class changes, still unpopular with coaches i talk to. From recent AmWrNews:

Question: Was the elimination of a popular lower weight a smart move? Many coaches have taken issue with this change saying wrestling attracts kids who cannot compete in any other sports where size matters a lot; kids who gravitate to wrestling because the smaller athlete can be a champion. We had two upperweights 20 years ago, now we have four. Was three perhaps the right number?

Question: are fourteen too many weight classes? Is it realistic for most high schools to be able to fill 14 weights for a dual meet? In the 1960’s Ohio only had one class for all schools and only 11 weight classes. Now we have 3 classes with 14 weights in each.

Question: did the addition of another upper weight dilute the already thin talent in the weights where big athletes have more choice of sports they can successfully compete in? Yes it did dilute it. Should the NFHS should revisit the weight class makeup and consider reducing the number of weight classes? I look forward to hearing from readers."

Bob: All good points. Yes, there are too many wt classes and in particular too many upper wts. The great white whale in Ohio duals today is a meet where there are no forfeits. We see them in the state duals! If the best teams in the state can't field full lineups, there is an obvious issue.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on May 3, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Rules changes that make too much sense and will never happen:

1) Stop giving a penalty point when a wrestler accidentally puts in a full nelson. No one does it on purpose. Call it potentially dangerous if need be or allow the wrestler to pull out his hand. I have been involved with wrestling since the mid 1970's and no one teaches a full nelson. It's an accident usually made by inexperienced wrestlers.

2) Change the out of bounds rules to be more like college.

Any others?"

Hank, I actually think there is a chance that we will see the OOB rules gradually change to be more like college. The rule recent rule change regarding near fall and pins is a step in the right direction. Any progress is better than no progress.

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on May 3, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The great white whale in Ohio duals today is a meet where there are no forfeits. We see them in the state duals! If the best teams in the state can't field full lineups, there is an obvious issue."

Hank - we (tiny one stop light town Mechancisburg that has class sizes of < 75) have duals every year with other D3 teams where we have no forfeits. I put the tremendous number of forfeits almost squarely on coaches. The ones that complain the most (that I'm associated with) are the ones that do very little in the off-season and, when talking to people in those schools, do little to nothing within the school to attract kids. When D1 schools can't field a line-up yet, we, Versailles, Tuslaw, etc have 24+ kids on a roster and full line-up year after year, there is a problem at the larger schools. Getting to the point we're at took A LOT of LONG HOURS and A LOT of WORK -- but it can be done. I've found that investing in kids at a young age pays off huge benefits later -- for all involved.

BTW -- love the uniform change to allow 2 piece and the NF / Pin outside the circle - this especially for duals. Tournaments will be tougher with the circles almost touching each other.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 3, 2017

Brady: You've mentioned that before. While I respect greatly the effort you have put into Mechanicsburg, you're assuming other coaches should be able to do the same. Most coaches are not as talented or motivated and that isn't going to change. Regardless of what you've accomplished, when one looks at high school wrestling both in Ohio and the nation as a whole, we see a huge problem with forfeits. It may be just this simple--you're a top two percent type of coach who is able to accomplish more than most other guys in most other situations. Most coaches--even the good ones--are struggling with numbers.

Incidentally, all the youth work in the world guarantees nothing. While you've been able to keep your young wrestlers engaged, most programs lose a lot of youth wrestlers prior to high school. Again, I don't know why this is the case.

Hank -- I guess my position is this. As coaches, we don't accept excuses from wrestlers. We demand hard work but then, in many cases, we aren't willing to out in that same level of effort to build a program.

Cutting weight classes only benefits the programs that aren't getting kids out for their program. I do have tremendous sympathy for coaches at small schools, it is a struggle. It takes many years and more than one person, but I just can't accept dropping opportunities for hundreds of kids because some programs can't fill for whatever reason they give.

Side job for next year, go to a local Hs tournament and watch how some of the coaches interact with their wrestlers and you will undoubtedly understand why they struggle to fill a team.

Side note - I do think the two piece uniforms may help with some number problems.

I also want to make something else clear - I didn't do anything at Mechanicsburg on my own, I just did my part in the process.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

i believe we have at least a couple coaches on here that are deeply involved with WOMENS wrestling-- this "shorts & shirts" issue has really gotten coverage, even the Washington Post, thus im going to devote my AWN column to it and would like a point of VIEW or more than one i can QUOTE regarding how it will effect womens wrestling, if at all. Any aspect re female, ive got plenty of mens views, looking for balance.

Indianapolis Ind. - An alternate two-piece uniform consisting of compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling and a form-fitted compression shirt has been approved for the 2017-18 season in high school wrestling. Wrestlers will have the option of the new two-piece uniform or the traditional one-piece singlet.

The compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling shall be school-issued and shall have a minimum 4-inch inseam that does not extend below the knee. The form-fitted compression shirt shall not cover or extend below the elbow and shall have a minimum 3-inch tail. The shirt may be worn under a singlet or with compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling.

Justin Hayes added to this discussion on May 10, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"I also want to make something else clear - I didn't do anything at Mechanicsburg on my own, I just did my part in the process."

whtvr.:)

#TheArchitect

► Add to the Discussion