Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Joey McKenna
Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Is he for sure coming? I saw a tweet last night that said he narrowed it down to Lehigh, PSU and tOSU unless that was an old tweet someone retweeted.

I also saw on twitter that their were 9 bucks at the OTC in Colorado

Myles
Nato
Kolin
Kyle
Logan

who are the other 4?"

Niemann
Ransick
Cosimi
Kornblut

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

Quote from James Kessen's post:

"Is he for sure coming? I saw a tweet last night that said he narrowed it down to Lehigh, PSU and tOSU unless that was an old tweet someone retweeted.

I also saw on twitter that their were 9 bucks at the OTC in Colorado

Myles
Nato
Kolin
Kyle
Logan

who are the other 4?"

Maybe that includes recruits headed to the Bucks. Heinselman, PA kid from 195, Decatur

and I'm stretching, but former Buckeye Heflin. Thats my best guess. They are all on world teams or on part of the US senior national team (Hef and NATO)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

I wanted to believe that McKenna to tOSU was a done deal but since it has not yet been announced, it would be a mistake to assume he's coming.

He may have said he was coming and changed his mind. Or maybe there are still a few hurdles to overcome. Hard to say and I honestly don't know. But my initial enthusiasm has been tempered. Cautious optimism is where I'm at.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on July 11, 2017

What does everybody make of Kyle Snyder's tweet and picture with McKenna and a bunch of other buckeyes climbing, quote was, "working with family". Good sign in my book.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 11, 2017

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"What does everybody make of Kyle Snyder's tweet and picture with McKenna and a bunch of other buckeyes climbing, quote was, "working with family". Good sign in my book."

Guilty of plagiarism.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 12, 2017

I'll be honest, I'm becoming increasingly doubtful that McKenna leaves Stanford. The longer this goes the less likely he is to transfer. I'm sure there are variables that we cannot see that play into this. Is he in doubt as to whether or not he wants to actually leave? Has a deal been struck, but coaches have asked him to hold off on announcing until they seal the deal with other recruits? On a personal level it's almost mid July....school is not that far off from starting and there are a lot of moving parts to enrollment, registration, lodging, etc. You would think he would want to get this over and done with.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 12, 2017

I have no dog in this fight, and honestly don't have an opinion on whether or not he lands at tOSU or anywhere else for that matter...but for a recruit of McKenna's stature the enrollment, registration, housing stuff will come together quickly. Ohio state is a big time sports school, strings can be pulled, hoops can be jumped through. And I say "recruit", but he's way better than almost any recruit. He's a transfer, a known commodity...and a great one. I think some may be underestimating his value because of a sub-par NCAA tourney last year. This kid is very good. He's a title contender at 141 (where I think he'll stay) and a likely AA at 149.

A question for the Ohio State faithful: If McKenna were to want to transfer and stay at 141 and Jordan wants to stay at 149 where he's top three...so it doesn't solve the "hole" at 157 and bumps Hayes out of the line-up...are you in favor of it?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 12, 2017

"A question for the Ohio State faithful: If McKenna were to want to transfer and stay at 141 and Jordan wants to stay at 149 where he's top three...so it doesn't solve the "hole" at 157 and bumps Hayes out of the line-up...are you in favor of it?"

Good question. I don't care either way. In this type of situation, I defer to Coach Ryan and company and assume they are doing what they believe to be in their program's best interests. Incidentally, I do think Micah is better off remaining at 149 where he currently has to be considered the third best wrestler at the weight. At 157, he's got Nolf, Kemmerer, Lavalle and Smith. All of them are going to be a bit bigger than Micah.

At 157 the Bucks will presumably have a competition with Burcher, Ryan and Racer. Based on last season, I'd think Burcher is the best prospect.

Ke-Shawn Hayes is a good wrestler but he didn't show anything prior to injury to make me think he was ready to finish top 8 at this wildly competitive weight class. But--in fairness--guys improve. No one knows how he'd have done down the stretch or at NCAA's.

Liam Bateman added to this discussion on July 12, 2017

He beat Matt kolodzik and a handful of other type notch guys. At a weak weight line 141, I like his chances to AA.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on July 12, 2017

Ohio State...or any school for that matter...would not recruit a transfer (McKenna) to shut out a high end recruit (Hayes). It would be recruiting suicide for future endeavors. For McKenna to come, Micah would need to be willing to go up and Hayes would end up with choice of weight. The transfer is close to always going to have to make the difficult move.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 12, 2017

I'm sort of with Hank. I wanted to get really excited about it but now that it's approaching mid-July my optimism of this happening has run low.

I think the Bucks will have a very difficult time beating Penn State for the title next March without McKenna in the lineup. I do think Penn State is catchable though with the right lineup. Everything went their way last year even with Soriano out of the tournament. I seriously doubt they repeat at 165 & 174.

I know Nate moving down to 25 isn't popular with many on this forum but if that doesn't happen our chances of catching the Nittany Lions are slim to none. Here is the lineup that I think puts us in a position to at least have a decent chance of winning it:

125- NaTo
133- Pletcher
141- Hayes
149- McKenna
157- Micah
165- Campbell
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- KoMo
285- Snyder

With this lineup I realistically see the potential of 10 AA's and 3 Champs. That will keep us at the minimum VERY close to PSU.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 12, 2017

Quote from Liam Bateman's post:

"He beat Matt kolodzik and a handful of other type notch guys. At a weak weight line 141, I like his chances to AA."

It wasn't a weak weight and it was very deep. It's probably even tougher next year. Hayes is good but he's just another tough guy at this time. Again--guys improve. No reason to think working out with guys like Pletch, Micah, Nato and some other guy....what's his name...Steebler?...yeah that guy.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 13, 2017

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"Everything went their way last year even with Soriano out of the tournament. I seriously doubt they repeat at 165 & 174..."

I'm not sure how you can say "everything went their way" AND "even with Suriano out". Losing Suriano was huge. They got zero points from a weight where they had a sure fire All American, a likely finalist and a possible NCAA champion. To overcome that and still win going away is a testament to how much better they were than everyone else. Has any team ever won the title losing those kind of points? That's certainly not everything going you way.

With regard to 165 and 174, nothing is assured clearly, but both PSU wrestlers showed huge improvement over their first meetings with their finals opponents. Both PSU wrestlers were freshman and still likely on the more steep part of the learning curve as compared to their incoming red-shirt senior opposition. I could see them both making big jumps. I could also see Hall becoming a legitimate (size wise) 174, which could help a lot. Now, I could just as well see a 100% healthy Bo Jordan being a dominant force at the weight...and a who knows what Martinez will look like with a chip on his shoulder?

Bottom line, I wouldn't be shocked if Penn State lost both weights, but I wouldn't be shocked with PSU having six champs either.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 13, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"

"Everything went their way last year even with Soriano out of the tournament. I seriously doubt they repeat at 165 & 174..."

I'm not sure how you can say "everything went their way" AND "even with Suriano out". Losing Suriano was huge. They got zero points from a weight where they had a sure fire All American, a likely finalist and a possible NCAA champion. To overcome that and still win going away is a testament to how much better they were than everyone else. Has any team ever won the title losing those kind of points? That's certainly not everything going you way.

With regard to 165 and 174, nothing is assured clearly, but both PSU wrestlers showed huge improvement over their first meetings with their finals opponents. Both PSU wrestlers were freshman and still likely on the more steep part of the learning curve as compared to their incoming red-shirt senior opposition. I could see them both making big jumps. I could also see Hall becoming a legitimate (size wise) 174, which could help a lot. Now, I could just as well see a 100% healthy Bo Jordan being a dominant force at the weight...and a who knows what Martinez will look like with a chip on his shoulder?

Bottom line, I wouldn't be shocked if Penn State lost both weights, but I wouldn't be shocked with PSU having six champs either."

What I meant is that even though they lost their 125#, which was an incredible stroke of bad luck, they went on to have a great title run with everything going their way in St. Louis.
I think it is a bit of a stretch to assume they can repeat those crazy point totals again next year. I'm not saying they won't but it's not a given.
I'm not taking anything away from Penn State. They clearly were dominant and deserved the title. I am just not one to concede that they will automatically repeat.
Would I be shocked if they repeat at 65 & 74? No. I will say though that I don't think either will do it. It's my opinion.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on July 13, 2017

"I'm sort of with Hank. I wanted to get really excited about it but now that it's approaching mid-July my optimism of this happening has run low.

I think the Bucks will have a very difficult time beating Penn State for the title next March without McKenna in the lineup. I do think Penn State is catchable though with the right lineup. Everything went their way last year even with Soriano out of the tournament. I seriously doubt they repeat at 165 & 174.

I know Nate moving down to 25 isn't popular with many on this forum but if that doesn't happen our chances of catching the Nittany Lions are slim to none. Here is the lineup that I think puts us in a position to at least have a decent chance of winning it:

125- NaTo
133- Pletcher
141- Hayes
149- McKenna
157- Micah
165- Campbell
174- BoJo
184- MyMar
197- KoMo
285- Snyder

With this lineup I realistically see the potential of 10 AA's and 3 Champs. That will keep us at the minimum VERY close to PSU."

Listening to FlowRadioLive 214 today they are talking about Suriano could possibly transfer to Rutgers.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next