Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: Joey McKenna
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 28, 2017

So, he's supposedly looking to transfer and Ohio State is one of the teams. According to the Flo article, he could come to Ohio State, presumably sit a year, then go 149. But Micah is only a junior. Would Micah move up? Anyone know what the thinking is here?

FWIW--if you want to keep up with PSU, McKenna would be a good pick up.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on May 29, 2017

Hank-How firm are you in your presumption that he'll have to sit out a year? Many D-I wrestlers who transfer to a program in a different conference are eligible right away. TeShan Campbell is a recent example. Pretty sure Bryce Meredith was in Wyoming's lineup the year after he left NC State. Would Stanford play hardball and block McKenna's transfer?

Maybe Micah bumps up to 157 and creates room for McKenna at 149. It would get MJ away from Retherford. Not that Nolf at 157 is much fun to deal with.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 30, 2017

Quote from Drew Taylor's post:

"Hank-How firm are you in your presumption that he'll have to sit out a year? Many D-I wrestlers who transfer to a program in a different conference are eligible right away. TeShan Campbell is a recent example. Pretty sure Bryce Meredith was in Wyoming's lineup the year after he left NC State. Would Stanford play hardball and block McKenna's transfer?

Maybe Micah bumps up to 157 and creates room for McKenna at 149. It would get MJ away from Retherford. Not that Nolf at 157 is much fun to deal with."

Drew--every post I make is based upon unverified guesses and assumptions. In other words, I haven't a real clue.

I just figured McKenna would sit a year if he came to Ohio State unless he wanted to cut again to 141. And if he cuts, he'd have to beat out Hayes. No way he and Micah would wrestle off. Just can't see that taking place.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on May 30, 2017

What if Micah went 57 and McKenna went 49? Micah to me looks like he is pulling more weight than anyone. Not to say he would beat Nolf but his style hasn't fared well against Rutherford. Might be better against Nolf.

Better chance at 2 AAs that way. 57 is a crapshoot at best otherwise.

If Hayes goes 41, Pletcher at 33 and -- though for his sake I wouldn't want to see it -- Nate to 25, would that produce our best possible lineup?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 30, 2017

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"What if Micah went 57 and McKenna went 49? Micah to me looks like he is pulling more weight than anyone. Not to say he would beat Nolf but his style hasn't fared well against Rutherford. Might be better against Nolf.

Better chance at 2 AAs that way. 57 is a crapshoot at best otherwise.

If Hayes goes 41, Pletcher at 33 and -- though for his sake I wouldn't want to see it -- Nate to 25, would that produce our best possible lineup?"

My assumption is that Micah's best weight is 149. He was formidable last year only losing to two wrestlers--Sorenson and Retherford. While it's possible he could be effective at 157, my guess is he's better off at 149.

Now, would I like this lineup--Nate, Pletch, Hayes, McKenna, Micah, Campbell, Bo, Myles, Moore and Snyder? Yeah...I'd say that's one helluva good squad.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 3, 2017

Hank:

If one were to assume only two wrestlers at each weight (Retherford/Sorensen and Nolf/Kemmerer) are his biggest obstacles to a title, it would seem to me his style matchup is more favorable at 57, no? Maybe I think that because I haven't seem him wrestle the latter two.

Probably only hypothetical unless MeKenna actually comes. Anyone have any updates?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 3, 2017

my 2 cents McKenna either Ohio st or Lehigh, ohio st if he wants to work out with Logan Stieber ... but im favoring Lehigh because he is close to his legendary high school coach Jeff Buxton who does his own private teaching in that area and also runs the olympic styles LVAC there. Buxton is a esteemed coach now in the UWW scheme.

McKenna is a 141 or 149. In Ohio states favor i don't know firsthand but i doubt he fears his comp at those wts at Ohio st, he will compete, after all he is a World placer and wrestled under the iron master Buxton. Money may not be a problem in his decision-- i do know Blair tuition, room & board about 40k a year. ... just my opinion.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on June 3, 2017; edited 1 time in total

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on June 3, 2017

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"my 2 cents McKenna either Ohio st or Lehigh, ohio st if he wants to work out with Logan Stieber ... but im favoring Lehigh because he is close to his legendary high school coach Jeff Buxton who does his own private teaching in that area and also runs the olympic styles LVAC there. Buxton is a esteemed coach now in the UWW scheme. ....McKenna is a 141 or 149."

The Flo guys seemed to think Penn State is a real possibility to land McKenna.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on June 3, 2017

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"my 2 cents McKenna either Ohio st or Lehigh, ohio st if he wants to work out with Logan Stieber ... but im favoring Lehigh because he is close to his legendary high school coach Jeff Buxton who does his own private teaching in that area and also runs the olympic styles LVAC there. Buxton is a esteemed coach now in the UWW scheme. ....McKenna is a 141 or 149."

The Flo guys seemed to think Penn State is a real possibility to land McKenna."

That's because it seems like the Penn State guys are a real possibility to land just about anybody, and all at the same time.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 3, 2017

Britt speaks the truth about the perception of PSU. To which I say, #GoBuckeyes

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

I think this is the week the world finds out where Joey McKenna is heading. If it's Ohio State and Nate drops to 125 we are right there with PSU.

If it's Penn State I'll need a lot of money to put in the Swear Jar.

Any predictions?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

Not sure but I thought NATO's decision was based on future Freestyle weight classes.

Rick Wasmer added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

I like Pletcher at 33.

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Not sure but I thought NATO's decision was based on future Freestyle weight classes."

That is what Nate has said.

Quote from Rick Wasmer's post:

"I like Pletcher at 33."

Absolutely!

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next