Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Isaiah White
Eric Curitore added to this discussion on May 31, 2017

Heading to Nebraska it seems...so much for that verbal.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/56920-isaiah-white-transfers-from-notre-dame-to-nebraska#.WS8rXusrLIU

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on May 31, 2017

When Te'Shan Campbell decided to transfer from Pitt, it probably cost the Bucks monies that might otherwise have gone elsewhere. Campbell made sense because he could help immediately and was ready to come.

As to White there might have been other complications that were not yet cleared up at the time that Campbell came available. If Ohio State had a choice between hoping White would be able to transfer or taking Campbell then in my opinion, they made a good move.

I wish White all the best at Nebraska. It's a great program and he will have a chance to train with some superstars in Lincoln.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 1, 2017

I think Hank hit the nail on the head. White probably garnered a full scholly, and the bucks just don't have that money right now. We basically had two guys transfer in, and then signed a boatload. I think they waited on him as long as they could. He is a bonafide stud. It just didn't work out. On another note, Nebraska is quietly building a mid-western juggernaut when you look at the recruits they are pulling in over the next year or two.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 1, 2017

Jared: I agree with your thoughts about Nebraska. The B1G just continues to impress me. The teams that have recently been second tier teams (Michigan, Minnesota, and as you mentioned, Nebraska) just seem to be amassing talent in order to contend with the top tier of PSU, Ohio State and Iowa.

Tier 1
PSU
Ohio State
Iowa

Tier 2
MINN
NEB
MICH
Wisconsin
ILL

Tier 3
Rutgers (oddly, I don't see them with the surrounding groups.)

Tier 4 (is one of these teams in a class by itself???)
Purdue
NW
Indiana
MSU
Maryland

Perhaps it's own thread but I thought I'd rank them.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on June 1, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Jared: I agree with your thoughts about Nebraska. The B1G just continues to impress me.

Perhaps it's own thread but I thought I'd rank them."

The only things that I would change to Mark's classifications, is that I would add Indiana and Maryland to Tier 3.

I checked Britt's last 'Dual Impact Index' from last year, and the Tier 1 grouping is appropriate, and the Tier 2 grouping is appropriate.

Rutgers was at #19, Indiana was at #23, and Maryland was #34. This constitutes a solid Tier #3.

The last three teams in Tier #4 were ranked: MSU-46th, NW-50th, and Purdue-52nd.

It is amazing how fast Northwestern has fallen. They had been an annual top 20 team for the last several years, until they imploded and fired Drew.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 1, 2017

PSU has separated from everyone else. They are at a point where guys like Corey Keener are transferring in from CMU because there's a possibility of starting. Michael Beard decommitted from NW to head there. They have astonishing talent and everyone wants to be a part of their program.

Bucks are doing everything possible to stay close. McKenna would help.

Iowa lost Teasdale to PSU. That tells you everything you need to know about who's the Big dog and who's chasing.

I like Nebraska a lot. They don't get as many studs but the ones they get are stellar and their talent development is outstanding. Same for Minny.

Michigan has a small window for the next few years.

Cornell has two of the best three frosh in the country arriving next fall. That's not too bad.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on June 2, 2017

I would have loved it had the Bucks been able to land White. I have always thought he had the potential to be a great one.
Why didn't TR nail him down is an interesting question. The thought that Isaiah was unclear of his intentions about wanting to transfer seem unreasonable. The thought that perhaps his grades or academic performance were a concern is probably more reasonable but he got into Nebraska.
Campbell is certainly no slouch having gone 2-2 at Nationals last year. Did TR think his upside was better than White's? Doubtful. Did TR think Campbell was a safer choice? Likely. Could it have come down to which wrestler pulled the trigger and committed first?
My best guest says it has something to do with money. Personally, and this is absolutely nothing against Campbell, but I would have preferred White. A year more eligibility and I think he is a 3X AA whereas Campbell may or not AA this coming season.
TR didn't let White slip away. There is a logical explanation. I just can't figure it out.
Thoughts?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 2, 2017

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"I would have loved it had the Bucks been able to land White. I have always thought he had the potential to be a great one.
Why didn't TR nail him down is an interesting question. The thought that Isaiah was unclear of his intentions about wanting to transfer seem unreasonable. The thought that perhaps his grades or academic performance were a concern is probably more reasonable but he got into Nebraska.
Campbell is certainly no slouch having gone 2-2 at Nationals last year. Did TR think his upside was better than White's? Doubtful. Did TR think Campbell was a safer choice? Likely. Could it have come down to which wrestler pulled the trigger and committed first?
My best guest says it has something to do with money. Personally, and this is absolutely nothing against Campbell, but I would have preferred White. A year more eligibility and I think he is a 3X AA whereas Campbell may or not AA this coming season.
TR didn't let White slip away. There is a logical explanation. I just can't figure it out.
Thoughts?"

Bucks waited on Mark Hall to commit for a long period of time. He was alleged to have told them he was coming. Then, Cael came calling and Hall changed his mind. Bucks were left with no true 165 as a result. Fast forward to last March just after NCAA's--Campbell is looking to transfer and fills a need. White is at NDC. He can't even think about transferring until semester is over and his grades are in. Do you wait for White and hope that he's finally eligible to get in to Ohio State? Or do you grab ACC champ Campbell?

Joe--on paper, I'd have preferred White. But I absolutely think the Bucks made the smart decision to grab a quality competitor who was ready to commit versus waiting to see how the White situation played itself out.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 2, 2017

Correct. I think it is obvious the Buckeyes wanted White but with his grade issues he wasn't eligible and that's when tOSU had no choice but to look at other options. When Campbell made the decision to transfer, the White project was over for tOSU. The talk of White still coming to tOSU at 157 was just internet BS.
White may some day be a better wrestler than Campbell but the Buckeye staff made the right decision in my opinion. It isn't that hard to stay eligible in high school. Even for top talents it is a risk to but your eggs in that basket, better to commit to a previous AA that might not have quite the ceiling but is proven.

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on June 2, 2017

Hank and Matt,
You both make valid points. I've had the same thoughts.
165 has been a bear for Coach Ryan. Landing Marinelli only to lose him. Then along comes a guy even better in Hall. Then Hall is gone. White is certainly no consolation prize and then boom...he can't enroll.
I think Burcher did an admirable job for us last year but it was apparent to me 65 was not his ideal weight and although a really tough kid, he doesn't have the talent that Hall and the other top tier guys possess.
Considering all that, I think the Bucks are lucky to have landed Campbell. His upside is the Bucks know exactly what they're getting both on and off the mat.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on June 3, 2017

I'll add to the concern with 165. I know Mattox is waiting in the wings, but I think he's a more realistic shot for 157. I've said for a couple of years now that David Carr is the biggest prospect to come out of Ohio since Logan. He is a MUST GET. Word out of the FLR guys was that Cornell is very much in play. I know you can't get them all, and I think Mattox will be a great buckeye, but I still am all in on Carr!! Imagine this line up in two or three years

125: Colorado kid
133: Decauter or Pletcher
141: Pletcher or Decauter
149: Hayes
157: Mattox
165: Carr
174: Romero
184: Smith
197: Moore with the PA kid waiting in the wings
285: Singletary

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 3, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"Correct. I think it is obvious the Buckeyes wanted White but with his grade issues he wasn't eligible and that's when tOSU had no choice but to look at other options. When Campbell made the decision to transfer, the White project was over for tOSU. The talk of White still coming to tOSU at 157 was just internet BS.
White may some day be a better wrestler than Campbell but the Buckeye staff made the right decision in my opinion. It isn't that hard to stay eligible in high school. Even for top talents it is a risk to but your eggs in that basket, better to commit to a previous AA that might not have quite the ceiling but is proven."

I agree wholeheartedly. White is very good but has the grade concerns. Top recruits do you no good if they can't wrestle. When he was being talked about a couple of years ago I watched some matches that seemed to show gas tank issues against top camp. Maybe rectified now?

I think Campbell is being undersold. Still young, athletic and extremely competitive.

► Add to the Discussion