Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: WTT's
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 11, 2017

Ethan: ...yet! I think they both make it next year!!!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 11, 2017

Taylor should have smelled blood in the water. Instead, he lost his edge after the injury to Cox.

Still--the ref should be fired. Cox was never warned/placed on shot clock, etc...in spite of fact he clearly shut down and backed up for roughly 2:30. The ref abdicated his responsibility. It was horrible to watch. I feel for Taylor--he got screwed.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 11, 2017

I didn't watch the bout (because I'm too cheap to pay for Flo), can someone explain to me how Cox getting hurt adversely affected Taylor? What am I missing? When I think of real injuries in matches I always go back to Smith/Lewis match three. Was it like that? Was Cox hobbled? And if so, how does his opponent (Taylor in this case) not capitalize on it the way John Smith did to Randy Lewis back in the day?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on June 11, 2017

Mark - I've thought 'next year' for a few years. Soon people like Hall, Nickal, etc will be in the mix at those weights.

This was the year.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 11, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Mark - I've thought 'next year' for a few years. Soon people like Hall, Nickal, etc will be in the mix at those weights.

This was the year."

True.

Where are next year's trials??

Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"I didn't watch the bout (because I'm too cheap to pay for Flo), can someone explain to me how Cox getting hurt adversely affected Taylor? What am I missing? When I think of real injuries in matches I always go back to Smith/Lewis match three. Was it like that? Was Cox hobbled? And if so, how does his opponent (Taylor in this case) not capitalize on it the way John Smith did to Randy Lewis back in the day?"

D.T. had Cox's leg up in a take down attempt that ended up out of bounds. I think as they landed Cox had his knee overextended and was down for a few minutes and then could barely walk. I thought the way he yelled and grabbed his knee, he blew out his knee, for sure. So Cox hobbles back to the restart after several minutes, and I'm sure it was very hard for Taylor to go after that bad leg. Cox is up by 1 at this point (I think), and he just shut down his offense. He was basically on 1 foot, but Cox has an incredible defense. If his whole goal is to not get scored on than he can do that even on 1 foot. The ref should have officiated the match correctly and put him on the clock. I think there was social pressure of the moment on the ref and D.T.. Very unfortunate. Still, Taylor had his chances and couldn't capitalize. Cox earned that win.
That was the best night of wrestling outside of NCAA tourney, I've ever watched.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

Thanks for the rundown.

Just because it's the off season and there's not that much going now that the trials are over, you mentioned that you thought it must have been hard for Taylor to go after Cox's bad leg...do you (or any DotNetters) have an issue with going after and injury? Is fair game? Unsportsmanlike? Necessary?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

Michael,

My rundown -- after injury, D.T. was trailing 3-2. He scores 1 put to tie it up 3-3 with him winning in criteria. No way was Cox taking a shot AND finishing. IMHO, D.T. made a strategic error here by ushing pace and continuing to shoot (and shoot on the bad leg. I have no problem with him doing that other than when a guy is injured, you DON'T shoot on that leg and leave him to defend with good leg. You attack good leg because you can't defend off injured leg as effectively) rather than just control ties and win 3-3 on criteria. Combine that with a ref allowing Cox to be in reverse (including sliding backwards on his knees almost 3/4 of the circle - which is an easy caution &2 there) and a mat more slippery than any I've seen outside a practice room - and it all added up to a golden opportunity for D.T. to slip, literally, through his fingers. He has plenty to be frustrated about.

You asked how the injury "hurt" D.T., I think he got over aggressive and technique/strategy broke down.

And to answer your last question, if you are on the mat, anything, injured or not, is fair game as long as attempted technique is within the rules.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"if you are on the mat, anything, injured or not, is fair game as long as attempted technique is within the rules."

J'Den Cox has many natural advantages, one that is often overlooked is his perspiration rate! Dude is as slippery as a fish in water 30 seconds into a match.

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"

Quote from Brady Hiatt's post:

"if you are on the mat, anything, injured or not, is fair game as long as attempted technique is within the rules."

J'Den Cox has many natural advantages, one that is often overlooked is his perspiration rate! Dude is as slippery as a fish in water 30 seconds into a match."

No doubt. Flo's announcers made many comments about it.

Michael, you can watch a couple clips here, including Cox sliding on his knees backwards for 2/3 of the mat - with no call.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/57506-why-cael-sanderson-was-ejected-from-world-team-trials

Reed Vetovitz added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

I like both wrestlers, but was rooting for J'Den, so I was viewing the match through a biased lens. When watching the replay that Flo was showing right after J'Den was injured, my first thought was that the move D.T. used could be construed as dirty. He had J'Den in a single leg then drove down such that the foot of J'Den's captured leg planted into the mat and D.T. continued to drive his shoulder into the knee area, resulting in what appeared to by hyperextension of J'Den's knee. I know this isn't illegal, but it seems like a dangerous (dirty?) move. Is this a common technique?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 12, 2017

I didn't have a problem with David's move. Cox could have conceded the takedown. You defend with a split you are obviously risking your groin.

I also didn't have a problem with Cox's level of activity, but I have different views on this type of thing.

Matt Hall added to this discussion on June 13, 2017

The only problem I had with the Cox vs. Taylor match is the fact that the match was not stopped to towel down Cox. In my opinion that made it almost impossible to finish a take down.

Chris Thomas added to this discussion on June 13, 2017

Sweat is part of the sport of wrestling if that is an excuse for losing you should find a new sport! D.T. had an amazing opportunity to win the match but didn't score enough points. You shouldn't ask the ref to put the match in his hand. Both are great wrestlers but the better wrestler won IMO.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next