Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: WTT's
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 13, 2017

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Sweat is part of the sport of wrestling if that is an excuse for losing you should find a new sport! D.T. had an amazing opportunity to win the match but didn't score enough points. You shouldn't ask the ref to put the match in his hand. Both are great wrestlers but the better wrestler won IMO."

It's freestyle. if Cox had not been hurt, he'd have been put on the shot clock...probably twice. That's my issue. The ref felt sympathy and stopped doing his job. I'd say the same is true of Taylor.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Drumm added to this discussion on June 13, 2017

How the match should've been scored if JC wasn't injured is how it should've been scored period. For way too long it appeared D.T. was chasing a blocking, backing & slip- sliding away JC. JC did what he had to do to weather the storm and why not since the ref allowed it to the obvious frustration of D.T. & CS. Either wrestler would be a great contender in Paris. So without JC injury how would you score it?

Brady Hiatt added to this discussion on June 13, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"

Quote from Chris Thomas's post:

"Sweat is part of the sport of wrestling if that is an excuse for losing you should find a new sport! D.T. had an amazing opportunity to win the match but didn't score enough points. You shouldn't ask the ref to put the match in his hand. Both are great wrestlers but the better wrestler won IMO."

It's freestyle. if Cox had not been hurt, he'd have been put on the shot clock...probably twice. That's my issue. The ref felt sympathy and stopped doing his job. I'd say the same is true of Taylor."

This.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on June 14, 2017

Nathan Tomasello gets put on the clock in the second period of this match.

http://www.flowrestling.org/video/1186858-57-semis-anthony-ramos-sunkist-kids-wrestling-club-vs-nathan-tomasello-titan-mercury-wrestling-clubohio-regional-training-center#.WUERrGgrKUk

I just don't understand the inconsistency in how it is called. It's really hard to understand the rules. I don't really care who won the match between Taylor and Cox but when I watch the Tomasello/Ramos match then watch the Taylor/Cox match, I just don't get it. If you are on the mat wrestling and you are injured, the same rules apply as if you are not injured. It's your choice to wrestle if you are injured. Cox may have won regardless but the ref failed in this match. Either that or Tomasello really got screwed against Ramos. Both matches cannot be correct.

Jim Behrens added to this discussion on June 14, 2017

I realize that this will just throw fuel on the fire but I wondered about the injury rules for FS. I asked a source because he is much closer to it then I am. This is what he wrote.

"Here's the rule from the rule book:

If a wrestler is clearly injured or is bleeding, the bout must be stopped immediately. If the wrestler that is injured/bleeding was the defensive wrestler while in par terre, wrestling will resume in the par terre position. If it was the offensive wrestler, wrestling will resume in the standing position. Wrestlers are allowed a maximum of two minutes injury time and five minutes of blood time (time for cleanup of the athletes or mats is not included in this blood time allotment). For UWW Cadet, UWW Junior, University, U23, Masters or Senior athletes, a maximum of 4 minutes of blood time will be allowed​. If the bout cannot be continued due to medical reasons, the competition doctor/trainer in charge has the full authority to not allow the injured athlete to continue. This decision cannot be contested."

Then he wrote his own thoughts below:

"Remember....all FS/GR officials deny that the rule book applies to them or the matches they officiate in any way, shape, or form. I went out on the mat once with a rule book and the official told me kindly to put it away since it is outdated the day it is published. They have quit sending a rulebook out to anyone anymore.

I asked my son about the injury time as is written above - he says he's never seen that rule followed."

I then contacted someone else who wrote back:

"The current (as of today) UWW rules don't say anything about a 2 minute injury time. Perhaps the USA Wrestling rules are different. "

Now, I have NO idea!

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 14, 2017

Greg: your call for consistency is right. I just...don't..get it. The hope is yo somehow make the subjective more objective and work from there. Again, I agree and it's baffling.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4