Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Best college coaches
Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 20, 2017

I stopped in to see Hank awhile ago and we were talking about how we would build a powerhouse college team in Cleveland if funding were not an issue. It would start with a great coach. Someone who could recruit, fund raise, motivate men, and teach wrestling or get assistants who could help in those areas. It would require a world class facility and all of the advantages that come along with a Regional Training Center. That led to talk about who we would pick to lead the program. We both agreed that J Jaggers would be our guy.
Somebody told me there are only 20-25 good coaches in the country so I started a list

Top Tier-These guys aren't going anywhere (maybe TB needs to deliver a title in the next few years to stay here)
Cael Sanderson-PSU
John Smith-OSU
Tom Ryan-tOSU
Tom Brands-Iowa

Proven Winners-might make a lateral to another program in this group or replace one of the top tier guys some day.
Kevin Dresser-ISU
Brian Smith-Mizzou
Terry Brands-Assc HC Iowa
Brandon Eggum-Minn
Mark Manning-Neb
Zeke Jones-ASU
Rob Koll-Cornell
Pat Popolizo-NC State
Lou Rosselli-Oklahoma
Tim Flynn-Edinboro
Pat Santoro-Lehigh

Job Security but probably not heavily recruited for any openings
Joe McFarland-UM
Scott Goodale-Rutgers
Jim Heffernan-Illinois
Doug Schwab-UNI
Tom Borrelli-Central Mich
Barry Davis-UW

Future star head coaches-some are already HCs in lower tier programs or assistant coaches in upper tier programs. Should be on the short lists of future jobs
Tony Robie-Virginia Tech
Cary Kolat-Campbell
Chris Bono-SD State
Cody Sanderson-Assc HC PSU
Casey Cunningham-Asst PSU
Coleman Scott-UNC
J Jaggers-Assc tOSU
Bryan Snyder-Assc Neb
Mark Perry-OTC Iowa
Zach Esposito-Asst OSU
Eric Guerrero-Asst OSU

Wild Cards
Bill Zadick-USA Wrestling
Kevin Jackson-ISU
Joe Heskett-WVU AD
Jodi Strittmatter-Young Guns
Brandon Slay-Penn RTC

Worth a look
Lee Pritts-recruiter Asst ASU
Tervel Dalegnev-Asst tOSU
Sean Bormet-Assc UM

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Schein added to this discussion on June 20, 2017

I think they should look a getting a young coach to build the program from the ground up Jaggers would be a great choice, maybe Jordan Leen.
possibly look at small schools for a proven winner maybe Shawn Nelson from Findley.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 20, 2017

How about we narrow this discussion to something specific and hypothetical?

Let's say that all four Ohio D1 programs--tOSU, OU, Kent and CSU--suddenly needed new head coaches?

Who would you want to hire for each program?

For example, Matt and I both thought that J. Jaggers would be a great hire for CSU due to his Cleveland roots, connections thoughout the state and considerable experience. But if suddenly the Buckeye job were available, would you see him as the #1 option to take over? Or would you want someone with more of a proven track record?

Jim Andrassy has done a great job at Kent. But if he stepped down, who would make a sensible hire for a solid D1 program that finds itself trending downward in recent years?

Joel Greenlee has had ups and downs at OU. If he were no longer the coach, who would make sense to take over a D1 program in the MAC with large upside?

And what about CSU? Josh Moore has done a nice job with the recruiting since joining the staff. Would he be your first choice to step in?

Where do names like Logan Stieber, David Taylor, Jeff Jordan and Tervel Dlagnev fit in?

Bill Splete added to this discussion on June 21, 2017

The list seems obvious on who is a great coach, but what also has to be considered is the assistants and staff, for instance Cael at penn state doesn't build that program with out Cody, Casey and Bonnie Epstein( north east Ohio native) if he doesn't start with them he most likely isn't we're he is in his personal career nor coaching. It's important to have the staff not just a name of a great wrestler. Tom Ryan has done it as well as brands as well as smithscan Logan, jaggers, tervel put those guys in place and be a CEO.

I would love to see Shawn Nelson move up to d1program, what he does at Findlay on their budget is extraordinary.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 21, 2017

No offense taken, gentlemen.

I'm always excited to see when unheralded coaches emerge into stars. Moreover, I love when budding coaches take a relatively unknown program and build them into something great - if not great, something worth discussing. Bono @ SDSU, Schwab @ UNI, Kolat @ Campbell, etc.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 21, 2017

imo Kevin Dresser now at Iowa St def a future Top Tier candidate. He saved wrestling and built a powerhouse at Virginia Tech after Brands left.

went over to St Eds camp last week, caught Kevin Dresser Tuesday clinic------- Dresser impressive guy, not an ounze of fat on him, lean & mean, told me ohio talent coming up "fantastic", said hed take 5 ohio sophs right now. Heard him say "we know its going to be hard but we intend to compete for the very best kids" .... Fresno st, N Iowa, Dresser, Rosselli, Big 12 just got alot tougher.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on June 22, 2017

So did recruiting Ohio by the sounds of things.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on June 23, 2017

I think Koll is top tier. There are just different dynamics at Cornell that can be both pros and cons.

Rosselli is clearly a great technician by all accounts and I wish he were still at TOSU. But as HC, a little early to call him a proven winner at Oklahoma. I do think he will get there.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 23, 2017

correct Koll is top tier, Cornell for about 15 years consistently top 10 even top 5, top 3. Ivy severely limits talent pool can recruit from. Koll well could have had ohio st job back when Russ retired but he wouldnt leave Cornell. ... Rosselli definitely way too early to evaluate as HC.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 23, 2017

I see Rosselli doing things the same way that Dresser did when he arrived at Virginia Tech. He's going after solid recruits that might be slightly overlooked by the biggest programs and planning to coach them up.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 23, 2017

Mike Poeta hiring as Illinois asst signals he next HC there. Illinois underperforming in recent years -- its a top 4 or 5 high school state but best kids are leaving. (Delgado and Isaiah Martinez both from Calif, as is Mejia, did Mark Perry have something to do with geting them?)

Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 23, 2017

I'd say Mark Perry is the biggest reason Illinois landed those west coast guys. I'm pretty sure Delgado followed Perry to the Iowa RTC, the relationship with Perry and Imar has been well documented and Meija decommitted after Perry left. I've heard that Perry and Heffernan didn't get along, and Heff has done enough to be entrenched as the HC. Was it time for the Illini AD to make a switch? I won't pretend to know.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 23, 2017

I'm not sure why we don't have better wrestling at D1 level in Ohio outside of tOSU. No shortage of talented athletes or coaches. The interest in youth and high school wrestling is closest to the highest in the country.

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Jim Andrassy has done a great job at Kent. But if he stepped down, who would make a sensible hire for a solid D1 program that finds itself trending downward in recent years? "

I think it's time to make a change at Kent. Any of those younger coaches I listed would be great choices. The problem is Kent can't afford them. We need a AD to commit to the program.

"Joel Greenlee has had ups and downs at OU. If he were no longer the coach, who would make sense to take over a D1 program in the MAC with large upside? "

Maybe Jeff Jordan could be talked into a college position after his boys are all grown up. Of course, his boys would fit in nicely as assistants!

"And what about CSU? Josh Moore has done a nice job with the recruiting since joining the staff. Would he be your first choice to step in? "

Probably never happen but while I'm wishing this is where I'd like to see J. Again we need a commitment from the AD to the program.

"Where do names like Logan Stieber, David Taylor, Jeff Jordan and Tervel Dlagnev fit in?"

Logan and D.T. are full time athletes, and I don't see that changing until after the next Olympic cycle at the earliest.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 25, 2017

Interestingly enough, Jaggers was on the steelwood radio podcast and addresses the idea of taking a head coach position...kinda. That and some other interesting stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/steelwood-radio/episode-5-ft-j-jaggers

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

Slightly off topic, but does it shock anyone else how few coaches are able to truly transform a program? With all the talent who have made their way to the coaching ranks, I'm always surprised at how concentrated the truly successful programs are.

Sanderson and Gable transformed programs into perennial winners. That's not shocking given the fact that they were/are two of the ultimate legends (Mt Rushmore guys, if you will). Smith took a successful program and continued with that success (not an easy feat, as Brands has found). Is that what it takes?

Think about it this way...when you talk about colleges and wrestling programs, many programs compare somewhat evenly to tOSU and Minnesota. Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, ASU, Iowa State, Oklahoma...the list goes on and on. These schools have the money, they have the facilities, they have the recruiting base and reach. The only thing they're missing (it would seem) is the right coach...and they can't seem to find him.

Btw, this is a testament to how rare what Coach Ryan has done at Ohio State is.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next