Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Lag Time Topic: Best college coaches
Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

I agree Michael. In fact, my list of top tier coaches are the only active coaches with a National Championship trophy. Only 4 guys! You only have to add Rob Koll and Joe McFarland if you want to include coaches with a 2nd place on their resume. Not a lot of parity in college wrestling.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

Matt...There's almost none, and that goes back like 100 years. And when I look at your list, I don't see anyone on there that I think even has the potential to be one of those transformative guys. But, full disclosure, I didn't think Coach Ryan would be that either. So, I guess the question to ask is, Who on this list is the next Tom Ryan?

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"Top Tier-These guys aren't going anywhere (maybe TB needs to deliver a title in the next few years to stay here)
Cael Sanderson-PSU
John Smith-OSU
Tom Ryan-tOSU
Tom Brands-Iowa

Proven Winners-might make a lateral to another program in this group or replace one of the top tier guys some day.
Kevin Dresser-ISU
Brian Smith-Mizzou
Terry Brands-Assc HC Iowa
Brandon Eggum-Minn
Mark Manning-Neb
Zeke Jones-ASU
Rob Koll-Cornell
Pat Popolizo-NC State
Lou Rosselli-Oklahoma
Tim Flynn-Edinboro
Pat Santoro-Lehigh

Job Security but probably not heavily recruited for any openings
Joe McFarland-UM
Scott Goodale-Rutgers
Jim Heffernan-Illinois
Doug Schwab-UNI
Tom Borrelli-Central Mich
Barry Davis-UW

Future star head coaches-some are already HCs in lower tier programs or assistant coaches in upper tier programs. Should be on the short lists of future jobs
Tony Robie-Virginia Tech
Cary Kolat-Campbell
Chris Bono-SD State
Cody Sanderson-Assc HC PSU
Casey Cunningham-Asst PSU
Coleman Scott-UNC
J Jaggers-Assc tOSU
Bryan Snyder-Assc Neb
Mark Perry-OTC Iowa
Zach Esposito-Asst OSU
Eric Guerrero-Asst OSU

Wild Cards
Bill Zadick-USA Wrestling
Kevin Jackson-ISU
Joe Heskett-WVU AD
Jodi Strittmatter-Young Guns
Brandon Slay-Penn RTC

Worth a look
Lee Pritts-recruiter Asst ASU
Tervel Dalegnev-Asst tOSU
Sean Bormet-Assc UM"

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

Dresser -- Zeke Jones -- both have that X factor i believe. And if he hadnt been fired J Robinson certainly would be on top tier list

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Dresser -- Zeke Jones -- both have that X factor i believe. And if he hadnt been fired J Robinson certainly would be on top tier list"

As soon as I typed it, I started thinking the exact same thing with regard to Jones and Dresser. If you think about it, what Dresser did at VaTech was significantly more impressive than what Coach Ryan did at Hofstra before getting his opportunity at tOSU. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with a program with the funding and tradition of Iowa State. It'll also be interesting to see how Dresser's success affects Coach Brands and the Iowa program.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

Michael: your last line has been a hot topic in my mind. Brands HAS TO BE on the hot seat at this point. Maybe not, but I believe he is. Amazingly, they might be the fourth best team in the B1G right now and if Minnesota does improve, that's another team they'll have to contend with!

Yikes!

Mark...Are you puttin Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan as the three teams above Iowa right now?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

Iowa's recruiting was down for several years and that's caught up with them a bit. But the recruiting has gotten much better over the last few years. In my opinon it has been the great coaching of Tom and Terry that has kept that program competitive in the meantime. I think Tom Brands is a great coach and that Iowa knows it.

I'd be shocked if he left/was fired. Who are you going to bring in? Who's going to do a better job? I think Iowa knows it too. This idea of Brands on the hot seat is an online fantasy. Not saying he isn't under pressure. But he's doing a great job by any standard other than Gable...and even Iowa knows that's not going to happen again. Not with Sanderson at PSU anyway.

He's got studs coming in. He can coach. Brands isn't going anywhere.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Mark...Are you puttin Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan as the three teams above Iowa right now?"

Actually, 1) PSU, 2a) Michigan & 2b) Ohio State (listed alphabetically?????).

I seriously - SERIOUSLY want to attend that dual. Or it be live on BTN and host a viewing party. Like, SERIOUSLY!!!!!

Mark...Count me in!

Hank...I think what you're saying is true about Brands being a good coach and not on the hot seat, but I also think he's not doing as good a job as two other coaches in the Big Ten. I view Bands' situation most comparable to the way John Smith took over at his alma mater back in the day (minus the year long penalty OSU faced). Olympic champion returns to take over an already legendary program. I don't think Brands has in him to do what Smith has done. I think Brands is good, Rob Koll good, maybe JRob good. It's a harsh measuring stick, but one I think Brands would welcome. Think about it, how much has he really built on top of what Zalesky did? And what did Zalesky build? I think the ghost of Dan Gable haunts that program. They'll never be him and that still matters there.

Do I think he's on the hot seat? No. Do I think he will be if Dresser ends up being Coach Ryan? Yes.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Michael Rodriguez on June 26, 2017; edited 2 times in total

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on June 26, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"I agree Michael. In fact, my list of top tier coaches are the only active coaches with a National Championship trophy. Only 4 guys! You only have to add Rob Koll and Joe McFarland if you want to include coaches with a 2nd place on their resume. Not a lot of parity in college wrestling."

Aren't you forgetting Jim Zalesky?

Matt Mace added to this discussion on June 27, 2017

Quote from Britt Malinsky's post:

"Aren't you forgetting Jim Zalesky?"

Yes! Thanks Britt. Isn't it interesting how easily I did that? Jim is kind of a forgotten commodity at Oregon St, or maybe it's just me.

In my opinion, Tom and Terry Brands are teaching a style that might be obsolete. Rules are evolving to reward offense and I wonder if Iowa isn't stuck in the 80s. They seem to have their guys in top condition and encourage a boxing match with incredible takedown defense, but their guys seem hesitant to take chances from neutral. They don't seem confident scrambling and I think that has been hurting them for the last few years. Sure, they have had some of the top recruits in the country do well, as I'm sure Spencer is gonna be a stud, but are they making guys better? A lot better? I think Dresser starts to take control of the state of Iowa and the Hawkeyes get restless over the next 5 years. I don't see a National Championship for the Hawkeyes anytime soon.

John Drumm added to this discussion on June 27, 2017

Matt,
Great points, but Brooks did shave his rockin' mullet so there are signs of change. To follow up your post, through Brands' tenure, who would be your poster wrestler for the "Iowa Style"? Somebody like Mike Evans? Who else?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on June 27, 2017

We'll see how Dresser does. I understand why his presence could cause problems for Iowa.

Is Tom Ryan doing a better job than Tom Brands? Good question--depends on criteria as well as period of time being considered.

Tom Ryan has one dual win over Iowa--one. Generally speaking, the Hawkeyes seem to be a better dual team with more depth.

Bucks have finished ahead of Iowa for last three seasons at NCAA's. Advantage Ohio State over last three seasons. Go back further and the pendulum swings back towards Iowa.

Bucks have best success on world level with Snyder and Stieber. Advantage Ohio State over every program in nation including PSU. Snyder and Stieber have been unbelievable performers. Snyder is astonishing while Stieber is merely great. But I'm not sure Logan will keep at it that much longer. On the other hand, Kollin Moore shows a world of potential. Nate is very good as well. Bucks are stars of collegiate wrestling when it comes to international competition.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on June 27, 2017

Hank...There's no denying that Brands has a better overall record than Ryan. He has those three titles when he first arrived at Iowa. Those are legit, but I also think the specter of the VaTech transfers and the fact that he has been unable to continue the trend of winning without the "double recruiting class". It feels like Ohio State is on the steep part of the improvement curve, forcing its way onto the national stage...and Iowa has been on a slow decline ever since Dan Gable retired.

Does anyone know if Spencer Lee is going to start or take a red-shirt to rehab that knee? Having a dynamic potential 4Xer always helps recruiting.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on June 27, 2017

Quote from John Drumm's post:

"Matt,
Great points, but Brooks did shave his rockin' mullet so there are signs of change. To follow up your post, through Brands' tenure, who would be your poster wrestler for the "Iowa Style"? Somebody like Mike Evans? Who else?"

In my opinion, I think Metcalf was the best example of "Iowa Style" under Coach Brands. Although not an Iowa fan, I did like watching Metcalf wrestle. He was always looking to score points and he wore most guys out. A great example was his finals match against Bubba Jenkins - he was ahead in the third period, yet he continued to score points with a double leg and threw in a turk on the way down (I could be forgetting details, as I've never rewatched that match in 9 years).

Evans was a good wrestler, but as someone recently pointed out on Yappi, he managed to take 3rd at the Big 10 tourney without scoring a single takedown, reversal, or near fall. Yawn.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next