Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Pat Downey to Kent State?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 6, 2017

Downey, an obvious talent but clearly a troubled guy, released a list of schools he is considering as his next option. They are Iowa, Buffalo, Rutgers and Kent.

While Iowa may seem the obvious choice on that list, money talks. Maybe someone else will give him a lot more to come.

Meanwhile, what does it say that Kent is on this list? Jim Andrassy was the guy who re-invented the Golden Flashes by bringing in prospects with desire and coached them up. He got rid of distractions and troublemakers. Now, he's inviting a young man who has made major issues at two other schools to join his squad? I'm perplexed.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

Perhaps it's a bit of desperation? Kent has been flat out bad for the last few years.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

This guy seems like a mess with no contrition. It's a panic move by any reputable D-1 school, in my opinion.

There is discussion about whether Brands is on the hot seat (I don't think he is). But if he takes Downey he must believe he is.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

I'm not feeling it for Kent, but it does feel like desperation. My concern is this: Sam Wheeler was kicked off the team a few years back for anti-gay tweets related to football player Michael Sam coming out. Though ignorant, they are downright vanilla compared to PD3's laundry list of tweets, including nudes, pics of him drinking beer and smoking pot, video of a girl going down on him, slams of coaching staffs, WWE attacks on opponents, etc. He is a clown. It will not end well, but hey, you got to do what you got to do, I guess.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"I'm not feeling it for Kent, but it does feel like desperation. My concern is this: Sam Wheeler was kicked off the team a few years back for anti-gay tweets related to football player Michael Sam coming out. Though ignorant, they are downright vanilla compared to PD3's laundry list of tweets, including nudes, pics of him drinking beer and smoking pot, video of a girl going down on him, slams of coaching staffs, WWE attacks on opponents, etc. He is a clown. It will not end well, but hey, you got to do what you got to do, I guess."

Yep. Downey brings trouble with him in a major way.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on July 7, 2017

The new reality is that you can say whatever you'd like on social media, regardless of your position, and remain untouched. So, pork away, PD3. #makeamericatweetagain

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on July 8, 2017

Nothing but trouble. This kid is a loudmouthed clown and I'd hope Kent or any other DI program wants nothing to do with him. And his hype machine will NOT be appreciated if/when he becomes a professional either. UFC is not going to tolerate him putting pics of demeaning women, drinking beer, and smoking pot on his twitter. The back and forth banter with other wrestlers is one thing. But he doesn't understand where the line in the sand is. And neither does his family. They seem to promote and enable his antics at every turn. He's a lawsuit waiting to happen and I just can't see any DI program taking a chance on him, even for the three months they'd need to "rent" his services. Brands isn't that stupid either.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 8, 2017

Call me the "typical coach" here but I believe there are a goood number of coaches out they're who would have one reason for bringing him in - to help him; to save him from himself. And it's a possibility.

But here's the deal, if I'm a coach, and I reach out to him to bring him in, I get out in front of it. Make a contract, have him sign it. Establish the short leash he's on. One mishap and its over. So why take the chance? Because I believe seeds can be planted that way. Hope for no permanent damage and the he eventually comes around.

Oh, whale!

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on July 8, 2017

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Call me the "typical coach" here but I believe there are a goood number of coaches out they're who would have one reason for bringing him in - to help him; to save him from himself. And it's a possibility.

But here's the deal, if I'm a coach, and I reach out to him to bring him in, I get out in front of it. Make a contract, have him sign it. Establish the short leash he's on. One mishap and its over. So why take the chance? Because I believe seeds can be planted that way. Hope for no permanent damage and the he eventually comes around.

Oh, whale!"

I am also this type of mindset...with high schoolers. That's coaching, and you're a great coach, so you get it!
But, even then, there's been times when a kid you care about has got to go for the good of the team. It doesn't mean you stop caring about the kid...years ago, I had to unload a kid I genuinely cared about because he just couldn't keep it together. It was very hard, but the team was taking a hit.

Downey is a man. He's had 4 chances. He's shown he infects a team. I think he will burn someone again.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on July 8, 2017

Fair assessment concerning the difference between HS and college-aged kids.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on July 9, 2017

From someone who has said and done a fair share of stupid things, if u add him there has to be a standard of behavior, if u break it u are gone, I know what lack of discipline is and know when I see it, he needs to, as jrob would say, lay that first block and the rest will come. I am about giving chances, but now U are shaping young mines, not just your own and that comes with an adult level of behavior, he will struggle and don't believe he will get that guidance and structure he needs at Kent, Rutgers yes and only because of the coaching structure there, not Iowa although Perry has that effect and might be the guy to take on a project like this, and this will be a project! Kent needs a young wrestlers that brings discipline and guidance, I'm sorry but Mr Downey hauesn't shown that right now, he is talented and feel for his struggle, but they are his and only he can figure them out.

Bob, great quote from great coach, that's the type of person Mr Downey could use

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on July 9, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Downey, an obvious talent but clearly a troubled guy, released a list of schools he is considering as his next option. They are Iowa, Buffalo, Rutgers and Kent.

While Iowa may seem the obvious choice on that list, money talks. Maybe someone else will give him a lot more to come.

Meanwhile, what does it say that Kent is on this list? Jim Andrassy was the guy who re-invented the Golden Flashes by bringing in prospects with desire and coached them up. He got rid of distractions and troublemakers. Now, he's inviting a young man who has made major issues at two other schools to join his squad? I'm perplexed."

I haven't heard that KSU is interested. Other than: “I have a few options. Iowa, I’d like to consider them. I’d like to consider Rutgers. Some smaller schools like Kent State have shown interest.” I haven't read anything else. With nothing more than that, I don't think it says anything regarding Kent. Summer is a slow wrestling news time of the year is what it says to me. lol

Brian Grimm added to this discussion on July 9, 2017

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Perhaps it's a bit of desperation? Kent has been flat out bad for the last few years."

????
KSU had a bad year last year, but the season before was their best one since the mid-80s. Kent brought in a transfer from Boise State at 125 to bolster that weight class, but they have options at 197. There are issues but desperation is a tad harsh.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 10, 2017

Brian: I hope you're right but their roster is not in good shape at the moment. Barring an influx of transfers, Kent looks to be a bottom end MAC team for the next few years.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 10, 2017

Quote from Brian Grimm's post:

"

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Perhaps it's a bit of desperation? Kent has been flat out bad for the last few years."

????
KSU had a bad year last year, but the season before was their best one since the mid-80s. Kent brought in a transfer from Boise State at 125 to bolster that weight class, but they have options at 197. There are issues but desperation is a tad harsh."

Whatever measure you're using to say that, throw it out. What is the measure? Dual meet record? If so, they've probably lowered their competition level. They've been bad for a few years.

Stating that two seasons ago was better than the kilgore/bedelyon/mitcheff/porter years suggests that your judgement may be impaired on this matter.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next