Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio Cadet Freestyle in Fargo
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 16, 2017

I've watched a little bit. New kid to watch. Zeke Escalera, Kentucky. He's got spectacular talent.

Ohio started well with ten in quarters. Two made the finals--Matthew Cover, 195 and Louden Haga, 285.

Illinois has six in finals. Pennsylvania only has one. We all know how good PA is. But why is Illinois arguably the most dominant state in Fargo yet their wrestlers have not had the expected success in D1?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 16, 2017

Watched video of Cover and Haga and was impressed. Both are fine young upper-weight wrestlers.

William Danforth added to this discussion on July 16, 2017

Louden Haga is from West Virginia. West Virginia does not enter a Junior Dual team, so he wrestled earlier in the year on Ohio team. Fargo has a rule you wrestle for the same team at the individual tournament. Last year Ohio gained the services of Amos the same way.

Tony Jameson added to this discussion on July 17, 2017

Illinois has six in finals. Pennsylvania only has one. We all know how good PA is. But why is Illinois arguably the most dominant state in Fargo yet their wrestlers have not had the expected success in D1?[/quote]

I don't believe it's a simple answer but maybe it could be? The Illinois kids seems way more fluid and natural. I think a literal reason is statewide I think they train it in their spare time rather than more folkstyle. . If your doing folkstyle all week and freestyle on the weekends even during wrestling season I think it translates. I have no personal knowledge of their training method, but to me it simply looks like they care about it after fargos over, whereas most if not all others do not

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on July 17, 2017

Agree that there is not one simple answer regarding Illinois, however sheer numbers may have a little to do with it. They always have a very large contingent competing at Fargo. They brought the most Cadet FS participants with approx. 90. I believe Ohio was 2nd most with about 58.

In addition you routinely see Illinois best wrestlers competing in Fargo year in and year out. This isn't always the case for states like Ohio. There have been at least a few years where I recall wondering why so few of Ohio's best didn't go to Fargo.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on July 17, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Illinois has six in finals. Pennsylvania only has one. We all know how good PA is. But why is Illinois arguably the most dominant state in Fargo yet their wrestlers have not had the expected success in D1?"

I agree with Tony and Brandon's points. Additionally, in HS folkstyle, Illinois is more of a "take 'em down, let 'em up" state. That works well in freestyle, but their mat wrestling may be lacking come college.

Having grown up in Illinois and having lived in Ohio for five years now, I've noticed a few things: a) more kids in Illinois simply want to wrestle at Fargo, oftentimes for the prestige b) there are more spring FS/GR tournaments in IL than in OH.

Bill Splete added to this discussion on July 17, 2017

The Illini success started right around the time Sean Bormet took over there cadet/junior freestyle and greco teams. He is the current head assistant at Michigan.

He not only developed how to train, think, prepare then he moved on to Michigan, he left a solid coaching foundation, they have a high level training system and the coaches to implement, they saw success using it and have no reason to change. You see it with their dual teams as well.

I would argue that our coaching staff is as good or better and have decades of success at fargo and Iowa(before fargo). we have been dominant with Penn, illini, Ny, Ok, Nj, others that have been successful. we not only have the fargo placers, winners, and future all americans and Ncca champs, that only a few states can claim.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on July 17, 2017

Pretty simple I think - it's very important in IL.

I think they had 90 Cadets. I saw Jason Bryant say it was 8% of the total.

Some states take it very seriously. Some don't. Has a lot to do with a few parents/coaches investing a ton of time. I also saw a Tweet that NY will have zero Jr. AAs (didn't research that so don't quote me). Wow.

Look at the kids that stayed home from Ohio. It's an All Star team. Most great kid from IL compete. I applaud this effort. It will pay off.

Side note - Montini Catholic, coached by Izzy Martinez (who is a great coach and man) will be very good next season. They have studs on the national level (Dylan Ragusin, Joey Melendez, Fidel Mayora, Will Lewan, Real Woods) and I think can compete for the HS fictional national title.

Kevin Mount added to this discussion on July 18, 2017

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"Pretty simple I think - it's very important in IL.

I think they had 90 Cadets. I saw Jason Bryant say it was 8% of the total.

Some states take it very seriously. Some don't. Has a lot to do with a few parents/coaches investing a ton of time. I also saw a Tweet that NY will have zero Jr. AAs (didn't research that so don't quote me). Wow.

Look at the kids that stayed home from Ohio. It's an All Star team. Most great kid from IL compete. I applaud this effort. It will pay off.

Side note - Montini Catholic, coached by Izzy Martinez (who is a great coach and man) will be very good next season. They have studs on the national level (Dylan Ragusin, Joey Melendez, Fidel Mayora, Will Lewan, Real Woods) and I think can compete for the HS fictional national title."

Agree completely with your opinion on Izzy. His kids seem to love him, and they bring a high effort, score, score score mentality that is great to watch.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on July 18, 2017

anyone see David Carr do the O-H after his Fargo championship?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on July 18, 2017

Speaking of Carr, is there any chance the Buckeyes can land him?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 19, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"anyone see David Carr do the O-H after his Fargo championship?"

Yeah, I caught that. I'm on vacation but watching select Fargo matches. I need to get a life!

Carr is alleged to be choosing between Ohio State, Cornell and 1-2 other possibilities. I like him at 160. He looks better with the added weight. Thought he was too thin last season at 152.

► Add to the Discussion