Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio/WVA Upperwts
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 21, 2017

Three of the most successful wrestlers in Fargo are upper wts with ties to two states. Braxton Amos was a double champ in Cadets at 220 lbs and will be one of the most sought after recruits in the country. He wrestled last season for Team Ohio but was part of Team W. Virginia this year. He lives on the border between the two states in a town called Mineral Wells WVA.

Matthew Cover comes from the west side of Cleveland out of Bay Village. He was a double AA at 195 lbs--2nd in Free/4th in Greco.

Louden Haga, 2nd/free...5th/greco, at 285, is a W.VA resident who competed for Team Ohio. Not sure why he and Amos were on different teams.

Amos is a big time prospect while Haga and Cover are also very good.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on July 22, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Three of the most successful wrestlers in Fargo are upper wts with ties to two states. Braxton Amos was a double champ in Cadets at 220 lbs and will be one of the most sought after recruits in the country. He wrestled last season for Team Ohio but was part of Team W. Virginia this year. He lives on the border between the two states in a town called Mineral Wells WVA.

Matthew Cover comes from the west side of Cleveland out of Bay Village. He was a double AA at 195 lbs--2nd in Free/4th in Greco.

Louden Haga, 2nd/free...5th/greco, at 285, is a W.VA resident who competed for Team Ohio. Not sure why he and Amos were on different teams.

Amos is a big time prospect while Haga and Cover are also very good."

Haga and Amos were on different teams because a wrestler must compete at Fargo for the same state for which he competed at the Cadet/Junior Duals. WVa doesn't bring a team to the duals, so sometimes their wrestlers compete with Ohio. Amos was on our dual team last year, but didn't compete in the duals this year since he was finishing up recovery from an injury. Haga wrestled for Ohio at the duals this year.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 23, 2017

Amos is venturing into some pretty impressive territory, but I think you always need to reserve judgement with big guys. I have to believe that the depth of competition for an upper weight has to be relatively slim at the Cadet level. Also, keep in mind that he's not our representative for the world team. I will give him props in that he is currently ranked third at 220 behind Colton Schultz and Mason Paris. I think you have to see how he performs on the junior level before you can really grasp his ability. He's awfully good though. It'd be nice to pull him in as a recruit entering Singletary's red shirt junior year. Who is the last heavy weight to come out of Ohio and replicate their success at the high school level to college? Dustin Fox (NW)? Tommy?

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on July 24, 2017

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Amos is venturing into some pretty impressive territory, but I think you always need to reserve judgement with big guys. I have to believe that the depth of competition for an upper weight has to be relatively slim at the Cadet level. Also, keep in mind that he's not our representative for the world team. I will give him props in that he is currently ranked third at 220 behind Colton Schultz and Mason Paris. I think you have to see how he performs on the junior level before you can really grasp his ability. He's awfully good though. It'd be nice to pull him in as a recruit entering Singletary's red shirt junior year. Who is the last heavy weight to come out of Ohio and replicate their success at the high school level to college? Dustin Fox (NW)? Tommy?"

Jeremy Johnson had a pretty good career for Ohio University, albeit not at the same level of the guys you mentioned but good nonetheless. 2x MAC champ, 2x AA, and 143 career victories.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 25, 2017

Johnson did have a really solid career. I think you could argue that he may have been more successful in college than even in high school. If memory serves he won it his senior year, but I don't remember hearing much about him prior to that senior season. He was a stalwart for OU! I mentioned Fox and Rowlands because they were pretty nationally coveted while still competing in high school. I guess my bigger point was that Amos is still a sophomore dominating groups of kids who typically aren't even physically close to being fully grown yet. I'm sure everyone has stories of the jr high kid thats all world in football and wrestling because they are just bigger and stronger than everyone else. I coached a number of kids like that who came up to the high school level and ended up quitting when they could no longer over power people.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on July 25, 2017

Quote from Jared Ball's post:

"Johnson did have a really solid career. I think you could argue that he may have been more successful in college than even in high school. If memory serves he won it his senior year, but I don't remember hearing much about him prior to that senior season. He was a stalwart for OU! I mentioned Fox and Rowlands because they were pretty nationally coveted while still competing in high school. I guess my bigger point was that Amos is still a sophomore dominating groups of kids who typically aren't even physically close to being fully grown yet. I'm sure everyone has stories of the jr high kid thats all world in football and wrestling because they are just bigger and stronger than everyone else. I coached a number of kids like that who came up to the high school level and ended up quitting when they could no longer over power people."

For sure, I totally get your point and it's definitely valid. I was just responding to what other great Ohio HS heavyweights have gone on to be successful in college.

Johnson was the first one that came to mind besides the 2 you previously listed. As for him being better in college than in high school, I think that is a fair statement.

Remember, he really came along his senior year in high school. After placing 7th at state as a junior, he was the state champ his senior year. I don't think he even qualified for state as a freshman or sophomore but I would need to be fact checked on that.

He then went out to Fargo that summer after winning a state title and was the Junior National Champ @ 285lbs, defeating Jake Kettler from Minnesota in the finals.

Also, pretty sure that his 143 wins at Ohio University is a school record.

► Add to the Discussion