Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: NaTo Wins Gold!
Jeff Streu added to this discussion on August 2, 2017

The article mentions a $5 million dollar donation in 2014. If you take that away, NLWC still has the most money, but they'd at least be on the same order of magnitude as the other top 10 clubs. Basically, Ohio RTC *just* needs to land one HUGE donor in order to be on the same playing field.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 2, 2017

So, here's my question--does the NLWC have that much more money than everyone else or is this an accounting issue? Example--I win the lottery and want to donate 1 mil to the Ohio RTC. Would it go to the Ohio RTC? Or, under current circumstances, would a lot of the money end up going to the Ohio State Athletic Department with funds earmarked towards wrestling? Perhaps Cael Sanderson has a different deal with his athletic department than the rest the programs with RTC's. Remember, Ohio RTC--as well as many other clubs--compete under the Titan Mercury Banner. Titan Mercury clearly has a funding relationship with the Ohio RTC while NLWC is its own entity.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 2, 2017

Hank, a couple responses I believe to be true:

1) Donations to Ohio RTC do not go to Ohio State--it is a separate organization entirely whose only official relationship with the university is to rent the room for practice.
2) Ohio RTC wrestlers accept sponsorship dollars from Titan Mercury, NYAC, etc--primarily these sponsorships cover costs associated with participating in the tournaments (entry fees, travel, etc). The NLWC chooses to pay these themselves because they have raised more funds so it ain't no thang to them.

Jeff: My take is that if you take away the $5M donation, the NLWC still averages triple the annual fundraising of the Ohio RTC. Translation: We have a lot of room for improvement. Fundraising isn't an area where Ohio State can make many excuses. The Ohio RTC needs to assess their fundraising goals, in my outspoken opinion.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2