Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: NaTo Wins Gold!
Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on July 22, 2017

First ever international competition and the kid wins it. Impressive.

What will this do for the Ohio RTC? Snyder, Logan, and now NaTo are doing quite well.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 22, 2017

Great job Nate. Congrats.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 22, 2017

Need to recruit J'Den Cox, Joe. Get on it!

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on July 23, 2017

What weight class?

Drew Taylor added to this discussion on July 23, 2017

Ohio RTC has been slow to replace Bergman, Tervel, Escobedo, Humphrey and anyone else who has retired from competing that isn't coming to mind.

The current roster of post-collegiates consists of Logan Stieber and NCAA All-Americans Vic Avery (Edinboro) and Michael DePalma (Kent State).

Stieber is the best in the U.S. (and the world). The other two are middle-of-the-pack.

My guess is the the RTC staff is sitting on roster money and waiting to spend it on Snyder, Tomasello and Bo Jordan, if he chooses to compete internationally. The year after, Myles Martin will be looking for a place to train. And does Micah Jordan have a future in freestyle?

Kollin Moore exhausts his college eligibility in 2020, and by all appearances he'll be in position for an Olympic team berth that same year.

So, rather than recruit marquee guys from other schools, like J'Den Cox, my sense is the coaching staff will take care of their own. That's no different than what Penn State, Oklahoma State and Iowa are doing.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on July 24, 2017

Sorry Drew, but I'm having a hard time coming to terms with that. The RTC is not like the University, that is confined to 9.9 scholarships. I can't imagine we wouldn't want the current Olympic bronze medalist and World team member on our RTC squad. We don't need to save money. We can have J'den and all of those guys you mentioned. With that said, I know nothing about OhioRTC recruiting Cox. Is that a thing? It should be.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 24, 2017

Matt I 100% agree with what you're saying. I don't have any knowledge of the ORTC recruiting Cox, but they should.

It's also not true that Nittany Lion only takes care of their own. In fact, the two most decorated wrestlers in their history--Jake Varner and Franklin Gomez--have been from other colleges. Their other World Medalist, Jaime Espinal, was also not from their school.

And I'm not saying we should do everything as Nittany Lion does. I'm saying we need to recruit the best wrestlers. If there's not enough money, step up fundraising. Arizona State has done a great job poaching talent from other schools. I know they have wallet of Sunkist Kids to help, but let's not make excuses.

Let's let the Ohio RTC be the gold standard for freestyle programs, not NLWC.

Brandon Olinger added to this discussion on July 25, 2017

I can understand the desire to want to recruit J'den Cox to the Ohio RTC, but the realist in me says that won't happen.

I think Cox is pretty loyal to Missouri, has accepted a coaching position with the Missouri team, and will be competing for the Missouri Wrestling Foundation (there version of a club). Also, I don't see him leaving his long time personal coach, Mike Eierman, the father of Jaydin Eierman who also competes under the Missouri Wrestling Foundation. As most of you know, the Mike Eierman is like a 2nd father to J'Den.

Edit to add: Missouri Wrestling Foundation is actually registered as an official RTC for what it's worth.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 25, 2017

Quote from Brandon Olinger's post:

"I can understand the desire to want to recruit J'den Cox to the Ohio RTC, but the realist in me says that won't happen. "

Certainly not with that attitude!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

It's nice to have Depalma and Avery because while they scratch their itch to continue competing, the room gets some high caliber extra work out partners. But it does appear that the Ohio RTC has become primarily a training site for current and post-grad Buckeyes with Nate, My Mar and K-Moore also in the fold. It's a great recruiting tool as well.

I sincerely doubt the Buckeyes have the money in their RTC that's available to NLWC. PSU has a much larger fan base in terms of serious interest although the Bucks continues to grow. For whatever reasons, Ohio has always been a great high school wrestling state but the fan base doesn't embrace college and international with the same fervor.

Heiselman arrives in a year and brings an impressive freestyle resume. Carr--if he comes--would be another great pickup for the RTC. Hoffman is another possibility.

Not sure if any other current roster members have serious post-grad interest. Hayes, perhaps.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

Hank, one thing that was quite interesting to me about one of Corey Haddad's recent posts: Columbus, Ohio was the top market in the nation for viewing the NCAA finals last season. Pretty interesting, wouldn't you say? And it says something about the appetite in Ohio. With that said, I do know what you mean about PSU's wrestling culture being a bit greater than Ohio's at the moment.

As for dollars, I don't think that's an excuse. Ohio IS a good wrestling state for both high school and college, and Ohio State has a far better athletic brand than Penn State.

I know the university can't directly pay for the Ohio RTC, but there is interest. The program received a $2.5M donation for their new facility.

Penn State also found a creative way to fund some of their "lower level" senior athletes by housing the Army's WCAP freestyle program. It seems that particular opportunity has been snapped up, but the point is that there's room for creative ways of funding.

There should be no excuses for Ohio State.

"Yeah, I tore my MCL, but there's no excuse for losing."
-Dustin Schlatter, after taking 3rd at the 2007 NCAA tournament

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Hank, one thing that was quite interesting to me about one of Corey Haddad's recent posts: Columbus, Ohio was the top market in the nation for viewing the NCAA finals last season. Pretty interesting, wouldn't you say? And it says something about the appetite in Ohio. With that said, I do know what you mean about PSU's wrestling culture being a bit greater than Ohio's at the moment.

As for dollars, I don't think that's an excuse. Ohio IS a good wrestling state for both high school and college, and Ohio State has a far better athletic brand than Penn State.

I know the university can't directly pay for the Ohio RTC, but there is interest. The program received a $2.5M donation for their new facility.

Penn State also found a creative way to fund some of their "lower level" senior athletes by housing the Army's WCAP freestyle program. It seems that particular opportunity has been snapped up, but the point is that there's room for creative ways of funding.

There should be no excuses for Ohio State.

"Yeah, I tore my MCL, but there's no excuse for losing."
-Dustin Schlatter, after taking 3rd at the 2007 NCAA tournament"

I think tearing your MCL is a reason for losing.

Ben--good post with fair comments. I would assume it falls to Tervel to do the bulk of the fundraising although I'm sure Coach Ryan remains heavily involved. Columbus having the highest ratings for NCAA finals is something of which the Buck wrestling program can be proud. I'm working on taking over the space next to Mister Brisket to add a sit down component to my business. If I do, you better believe I'll have an NCAA tourney finals watch party every year. Actually, I could turn it into a fundraiser for the Ohio RTC. How's that for an idea?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

I like that idea Hank! In reality the Ohio RTC probably needs someone to help with fundraising--someone who it isn't their full time job unless they earned a ridiculously high amount for the organization in doing so.

Another fundraising idea: Cornell does a fundraiser where, at the beginning of each season, fans pledge a certain amount of money for every PINFALL the team scores during the year. I don't know if people pay weekly, monthly, or at the end of the season. That creates a way for common people to be involved in donation, and also incentivizes the wrestlers to pin a little bit (not that they aren't already incentivized). Anyway, at one point I proposed to coach Ryan that the Ohio RTC do a similar fundraiser off the pins of Ohio State wrestlers. He said he didn't think it would be kosher with the compliance office. So maybe that isn't the exact solution, but maybe there's a way to get fans to donate based on some metric for the Ohio RTC wrestlers?

As for the Schlatter quote, I agree that a blown knee is plenty justification for losing in my mind. However, it's always stuck with me as an incredible no-excuses mentality.

Jeff Streu added to this discussion on July 31, 2017

I immediately thought of the recent posts on RTC funding when I read this article: http://www.flowrestling.org/article/59586-tax-forms-reveal-stunning-finances-at-nittany-lion-wrestling-club?utm_campaign=general&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=article&utm_term=content1&rtid=&coverage_id=&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTm1VeU9XRmlaV1l5WXpoaSIsInQiOiJCQXJQMzd6OTlIc3ZjN1dIdXF6eFhEaVpIakxjZThPVmRxbE5lb3FWKzVLWitXeUhCdjBYMWNLMEVoUTlZRlN4aTliaUtEWm1DUnVXXC8rSkhvemNGK00wWVRabnZJcFg4bndYNXRiQitGS2QzNUs3ZW9jalFQc2pcLytrQXJSeXdEIn0%3D#.WX_A9ZV3vIU

Ben Golden added to this discussion on August 1, 2017

Me too, Jeff. What were your thoughts?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next