Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Cael Signs New Deal aka "There Goes the Neighborhood"
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

Well, Buckeye wrestling fans, 2nd place may not be the standard but it's likely the spot Ohio State will be fighting for in the coming years.

Just to be clear--Tom Ryan has done the job he was hired to do. NCAA team championship, 2 Big Ten Tourney Titles, 4x NCAA champ, 2x World Champs and an Olympic champ are monumental. But the opportunity to finish ahead of PSU at NCAA's will be a rare one now that Cael has been re-signed.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/18463

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Mace added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Well, Buckeye wrestling fans, 2nd place may not be the standard but it's likely the spot Ohio State will be fighting for in the coming years.

Just to be clear--Tom Ryan has done the job he was hired to do. NCAA team championship, 2 Big Ten Tourney Titles, 4x NCAA champ, 2x World Champs and an Olympic champ are monumental. But the opportunity to finish ahead of PSU at NCAA's will be a rare one now that Cael has been re-signed.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/18463"

Certainly a view of resignation that I, for one, don't agree with. Cael is obviously doing a lot of things right and I think he has raised the game of the whole country. He is tough to recruit against, but he only has 9.9 scholarships and whatever tricks he's used to recruit blue chippers for free will become more widely used by other Universities or regulated by NCAA to level the field again. I don't believe all these athletes are paying $40k/year just to be a part of the NL room.

Jared Ball added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

I'm confused as to why the contract info won't be released. I know the article stated that the university is only obligated to release the contract info on four specific job, wrestling not included. Isn't PSU a state university, that receives state funds? Regardless, I'd like to see the info released to continue to drive up wrestling coaching salaries. Good for competition, good for the sport. I'd like to see what the gold standard is worth to PSU athletics.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

the salary of every coach in every sport at ohio st is public info

Sean Koran added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

Pennsylvania's public records law exempts Penn State from being required to disclose a large amount of documents that would are otherwise public records and would be excepted of most public universities nationwide to produce.

Matt: Happy you don't agree. Glad to be proven incorrect. I'm sure the Bucks wouldn't agree either.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

Matt: Hank's is the "Michigan Mentality" that has lead to that football program's success over the last 15 years.

Sorry Hank. Couldn't resist.

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"Matt: Hank's is the "Michigan Mentality" that has lead to that football program's success over the last 15 years.

Sorry Hank. Couldn't resist."

Technically, you could have. But I can take it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on July 26, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Well, Buckeye wrestling fans, 2nd place may not be the standard but it's likely the spot Ohio State will be fighting for in the coming years.

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/18463"

Certainly a view of resignation that I, for one, don't agree with. Cael is obviously doing a lot of things right and I think he has raised the game of the whole country. He is tough to recruit against, but he only has 9.9 scholarships and whatever tricks he's used to recruit blue chippers for free will become more widely used by other Universities or regulated by NCAA to level the field again. I don't believe all these athletes are paying $40k/year just to be a part of the NL room."

As twisted as the NCAA is, they can't stop Sanderson from doing what he's doing. I don't think it has anything to do with the 9.9 or the camp money or the regional training centers. It's about wrestling for a legend. 159-0 matters, Olympic Gold matters. Also, its about perpetuating your success. Penn State is now recruiting wrestlers who only know about the last seven years, who (for their entire wrestling lives) Penn State has been the dominant force. Winning (particularly the way Penn State wins) leads to more winning. Finally, as far as kids being willing to pay more to go to Penn State "just" to be on the room, I'll give you that's rare, but it's happened before...Gable's Hawkeyes.

► Add to the Discussion