Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Discussion Topic: McKenna?
Alex Creech added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

He was enrolled for summer classes, according to flo. No mention about being enrolled for fall classes.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"He was enrolled for summer classes, according to flo. No mention about being enrolled for fall classes."

This is the info I heard from Flo. I took it as he is staying at PSU.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

I check McKenna's twitter account like any 54 year old stalker. So far....crickets.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

Penn State blocking Suriano's Big 10 waiver.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2017/08/nick_suriano_to_rutgers_source_penn_state_will_not.html

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

Quote from Brian Nicola's post:

"Penn State blocking Suriano's Big 10 waiver.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2017/08/nick_suriano_to_rutgers_source_penn_state_will_not.html"

This is interesting. As much as his transfer from PSU makes me happy I don't blame Cael from blocking his transfer to another BigTen school. His departure leaves a large hole in their roster.

If McKenna comes to Columbus it's going to be a very, very interesting team race!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

this transfer rule Suriano wants waived on appeal is a Big Ten rule.... even if Penn st broke ranks and approved his in-league trf it would mess things up for the league so i don't think Suriano is going anywhere.

McKenna was to announce by yesterday, according to his Dad (i was told) ... since he hasn't and was at the LVAC golf outing today the plot thickens.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

Someone on themat.com wrote the following about Suriano:

"Suriano is from a very tight Italian family. From the moment he stepped on campus, he was uncomfortable. In the room before practice when guys were goofing around, Suriano would not join in. He kept to himself. He never fit in.

Not getting a complete release so he could compete immediately for Rutgers was not a Cael decision. It came from the AD who did not want to set a precedent. If Suriano was given what wants, then all future PSU transfers would have to be given the same. Otherwise Penn State would end up in court and be sued for discrimination; especially if the next transfer was a minority. The university's legal team was involved in he decision.

Sorry folks but this is what it is. "

Alex Creech added to this discussion on August 7, 2017

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"this transfer rule Suriano wants waived on appeal is a Big Ten rule.... even if Penn st broke ranks and approved his in-league trf it would mess things up for the league so i don't think Suriano is going anywhere.
"

I think he still transfers and sits out the year. Sounds to me like he's leaving, it's just a question of whether he has to sit out a year.

Britt Malinsky added to this discussion on August 8, 2017

Quote from Alex Creech's post:

"

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"this transfer rule Suriano wants waived on appeal is a Big Ten rule.... even if Penn st broke ranks and approved his in-league trf it would mess things up for the league so i don't think Suriano is going anywhere.
"

I think he still transfers and sits out the year. Sounds to me like he's leaving, it's just a question of whether he has to sit out a year."

He could always transfer to a non-B1G school and he'd get to wrestle immediately.

Ben Watson added to this discussion on August 8, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Someone on themat.com wrote the following about Suriano:

"Suriano is from a very tight Italian family. From the moment he stepped on campus, he was uncomfortable. In the room before practice when guys were goofing around, Suriano would not join in. He kept to himself. He never fit in.

Not getting a complete release so he could compete immediately for Rutgers was not a Cael decision. It came from the AD who did not want to set a precedent. If Suriano was given what wants, then all future PSU transfers would have to be given the same. Otherwise Penn State would end up in court and be sued for discrimination; especially if the next transfer was a minority. The university's legal team was involved in he decision.

Sorry folks but this is what it is. ""

Interesting information. I do not blame PSU in the slightest for not supporting the B1G transfer waiver. PSU already did more than required by granting Suriano a release. He has the option to wrestle for any school outside the B1G 10 immediately. My opinion - if the facts and circumstances haven't changed with the program (same coach, same scholarship amount for kid), and there is not a family emergency that necessitates the transfer closer to home, a release should not be granted.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 8, 2017

Ben: I understand PSU's perspective as well. But I think it's time to consider the plight of the student athlete. Generally speaking, their freedoms are limited in strange and often excessive ways once they commit to a school. Suriano hasn't done anything wrong. He just wants to go home. Why can't he? Why does the university and/or conference get to deny him the opportunity unless he accepts a penalty? Generally speaking, student athletes--particularly those earning money for a school--are treated almost as indentured servants once they commit. I realize there are a lot of considerations that I'm glossing over.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 8, 2017

According to post I have read on the Iowa forum rumor is he could transfer to a CC for a year then transfer to RU and still have 3 year to wrestle.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gewa/genrel/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/4_2_4_Transfer_Guide.pdf

Joe Kinzel added to this discussion on August 8, 2017

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Someone on themat.com wrote the following about Suriano:

Sorry folks but this is what it is. ""

I have no reason to question this post. Makes sense that he is a little homesick and wants to go somewhere closer to home.
What doesn't add up is why he attended classes at PSU this summer.

Alex Creech added to this discussion on August 8, 2017

Quote from Joe Kinzel's post:

"

I have no reason to question this post. Makes sense that he is a little homesick and wants to go somewhere closer to home.
What doesn't add up is why he attended classes at PSU this summer."

They were online classes, he wasn't at PSU. I can think of a bunch of reasons to continue taking classes at a school you plan to transfer out of.

Jim Kessen added to this discussion on August 8, 2017

According to Flo Suriano isn't on the updated PSU roster.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next