Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: 2017-2018 Ohio State Wrestling Schedule
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on September 21, 2017

Bucks will need either Mead or whomever is best frosh to compete at 125 this season. If Mead is the best guy, he is not redshirting. Same will be true at 285 although Singletary will almost certainly stay in redshirt.

No disrespect intended to Mead but he is not the same level of recruit (nor presumably dollar commitment) as Singletary.

Nate will not wrestle every match. Look for him to follow a similar schedule to Snyder.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on September 21, 2017

Quote from Matt Mace's post:

" I think Brakan would be the fill in for Nato, but the coaches may not want to burn his redshirt. Also, I'm curious who the top dog is at 125 besides Nato, because that guy is probably gonna be our starter next year. I think Heinselman is gonna need a redshirt."

That comment is why I think that seeing the results of the wrestle-offs will be interesting!

We have four new guys at 125 that I know very little about. Of course, Brakan is local, so the Columbus area high school followers might have a good perception of him, but from the bios, it looks to me like all four could be very close on the mat.

If there is anything on paper that lends credibility to any of these candidates, it might be that the U of Maryland transfer Hunter Lucas has already had a year red-shirting and may be more ready physically and mentally prepared for D1 competition.

Also. the Koontz brothers, while accomplished at Cadets, were wrestling at lower weights last year, which makes me wonder if their body types are ready for 125 this year, or if they need the year of physical transition.

Their bios are different, but all very accomplished in high school.

Matt Mace added to this discussion on October 6, 2017

Southern Scuffle?! How did I not hear about this addition to the schedule?
Penn St and Oklahoma St also have the Scuffle on their schedules, but it's looking like it will be just some redshirts competing for the Bucks though. Could be a godd chance to see how Romero and Singletary stack up.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 6, 2017

Either Mead or the Maryland transfer will start at 125. My guess is Mead because Maryland stinks and I can't imagine them not holding on to anyone who could help. It's not like Maryland had a Tomasello/Peters situation although I suppose it's possible that the kid who transferred in did so because he'd rather start for tOSU.

I'm more interested in what Pletcher does when Nate goes 133 early in season. Also, who wrestles 285? As good as the Bucks lineup is on paper, they'll have duals where the team has some holes.

Pat Altvater added to this discussion on October 6, 2017

I've been wondering if Kevin Snyder is prepared to step into 285 on a limited basis to spell big brother? - I see that he got a 4th place in a prominent freestyle event over the summer, though not at 285. You could believe that the last year plus battling it out every day with Tervel, Kyle, Kollin, and Myles could expedite a little progress in technique and performance. (STEEL SHARPENS STEEL!) And he definately comes from some pretty good 'wrestling genes'!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 11, 2017

I'm glad OSU decided to show the Open tournaments in their schedule on their website, with Romero & Singletary and some of the other guys that will RS, I might go to a few.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 12, 2017

Quote from Jack Muni's post:

"I'm glad OSU decided to show the Open tournaments in their schedule on their website, with Romero & Singletary and some of the other guys that will RS, I might go to a few."

Agree that's a nice development. One of my pet peeves over the years has been how few Bucks compete if they're not in the lineup or blue chip recruits. With the huge class coming in--and their considerable credentials--I'd like to think that will change.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2